Phi??

Mr-Fusion

Tank
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if any of you guys model your humans based off the Phi proportion.

Phi is a ratio 1:1.618 or thereabouts and is a recurring theme in a frightening amount of living things on this planet. It's referred to as the divine proportion, like some kind of godly number.

In fact human beauty has been related back to this proportion. This guy created this template for peoples faces with lines measuring up to the Phi proportion. People who we consider "beautiful" seem to fit the template perfectly. The dimensions on their face, distance between eyes, distance from nose to chin, etc all fit the template.

http://goldennumber.net/images/AD2000cauc.jpg
http://goldennumber.net/images/AD1794Moulton.jpg
http://goldennumber.net/images/AD2000Black.jpg

So basically if your human characters look a bit wonky, a bit wrong, check the ratio of their limbs. Best demonstrated in Da Vincis "The virtruvian man"
http://gallery.euroweb.hu/art/l/leonardo/10anatom/1vitruviu.jpg

Length of forearm is 1.168 times the legth of the upper arm
Length from hip to knee is 1.168 times the length from knee to the ground.
Length of forearm is 1.168 times the legth of the hand from rist to tip of the middle finger.
ETC. These ratios occur all over the body.

It's just an interesting idea and a way to make your models look 'perfect' or 'beautiful'. And while i know some people may laugh at this, having good looking character models in games may actually make people want to play more. It's just another subtle thing to be aware of.

no not really we dont follow any constants or proportions ....its basicaly wether or not it looks likethe concept or reference object then we post it here and people crit its proportions....it wud be rather hard to measure ur model.

Perfection doesnt exist when it comes to human figures, its the imperfections that set them all apart ;)

I have it in the back of my head, but goes further and further away from it when it gets more done.

i tend to look at the proportions of the head vs all other proportions.

7 heads fit in the lheight of an adult.

is there a webpage or someplace that lists all of the proportions that i can reference off of? this seems interesting to me.

True it would be hard to measure proportions in your 3d app, thats why you have to do it while drawing the character sheets.

You read about Phi in the da vinci code? I learnt so much trivia from that book :D

Fletch said:
You read about Phi in the da vinci code? I learnt so much trivia from that book :D
I first heard about it in this documentary....by John Cleese and Liz Hurley :D. But it's also in the davinci code, it's really interesting.

This surgeon was putting the 'phi' template on all these peoples faces and it fit perfectly. Pretty amazing stuff. And yes there are very few people who'd actually fit all the ratios, but our concept of 'beautiful' seems to be attributed to people who exhibit the ratios the closest. Of course beautifulness is obviously not skin deep and attractiveness is an entirely different thing.

I actually learned something here, I am amazed. Quite interesting if you ask me...

Oxygenetic said:
I actually learned something here, I am amazed. Quite interesting if you ask me...

It actually goes much further than he described. Read the Da Vinci Code, it explains it well.

To sum it up, PHI is derive from the Fibonacci sequence (pronounced fib uh notch ee) :

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21

the sum of the two preceding terms equals the next. blah blah..

anyway, take a term and divide it by the term adjacent to it = PHI = The Divine Proportion, (golden ratio) found all over nature, not just the human body. Research it.

Leonardo Da Vinci was a brilliant man. (and gay :p lol)

You can see this in several flowers etc. in nature too. What's scary is that there are so many things that follows this...

creationist said:
1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21

the sum of the two preceding terms equals the next. blah blah..

anyway, take a term and divide it by the term adjacent to it = PHI
1/1 = PHI
1/2 = PHI
2/3 = PHI
3/5 = PHI

???

Richardo P said:
i tend to look at the proportions of the head vs all other proportions.

7 heads fit in the lheight of an adult.

that would actually be 8 if you look for the "ideal" height.

But to answer the original poster, no that would be waaaay too time cunsuming... learning the anatomy from the begining is better on the short, and long run :D

I had a life drawing class that focused on phi,,

pretty cool but people like richrd garriot are getting a little obessed (his game tabula rasa confoms to it entirely aparently)

Back