Physics Engine

dan_brew

Reaction score
After you take the HL2 cd out of the case, place it in the cd/dvd rom drive, install it with the desktop icon and begin the first level (or training, if there's training), what's the first thing you will do in terms of manipulating the world with the HL2 physics engine?

I would like to brake the legs off a table and use it to surf down some stairs. I hope valve made that possible! :LOL:

Take care,
Bye.

Oh crap. Attack of the noobs.

Surfing down stairs on a table... hmm, I'm going to have to try that myself.

Didn't I hear somewhere that you can't break off the legs of the table?

Even so, just flip is over and stand amoungst the legs and go down the stairs... WOOHOO!

i've taken the bounce outta barrels in a CS:S level, and walked the barrel...that was actually easier than it sounds...
table down stairs has gotta be one of the best things i ever heard...

Didn't I hear somewhere that you can't break off the legs of the table?

Certain objects can break into different part, but the break points are defined by the designers.

hm... Cool... I can't wait to try the physics in HL2, because they aren't limited like CS:S and you can actually hop on the barrels :).

UKchaos2 said:
Certain objects can break into different part, but the break points are defined by the designers.

P.S. - That's right, I remembered something like that, thanks.

in hl2 u can jump on the barrels?
cool i always hated that about cs:s

f|uke said:

Don't you mean, "Attack of the boobs?" :cheese:

I'd like to surf down some stairs, but rather on a matress than a table. But not as the first thing I'd do. First thing I'd do...I have no idea. :/ I'll have to see on Tuesday (or Wednesday depending on how long it takes me to beat HL1 again).

f|uke said:

Surfing down stairs on a table... hmm, I'm going to have to try that myself.

"Daddy, I wanna do that Legolath thing!"

Mmm, stairsurfing.

I wanted to get on the roof of something next to a bunch of barrels and push them off onto something's head. See if it dies like a bitch or not.

Sharrd said:
"Daddy, I wanna do that Legolath thing!"
I hate those movies...

As for the physics, i dont know. Probably just shoot stuff alot and throw alot of nades

does anyone know if there is any truth behind the rumor that you can pick up objects wiht your hands?

I would use the stuff to hoist me up into the air, but i hope they fixed the bumping in which you were "bumbped" away from physics material.

You can pick stuff up with your hands, check out the ravenholm Bink, you clearly see Gorden picking up a barrel, dropping it, and then shooting it to make an exsplotion next to a zombie.

Probably the only first thing I can do. Chuck a soda can at a metrocop's head.

Osibe said:
does anyone know if there is any truth behind the rumor that you can pick up objects wiht your hands?

watch the ravenholm bink ?

you people are going to be so much disappointed when you'll see that about everything you want to do is impossible..

Id probably go around the train station chukin' the rubbish on the citizens :)

I want to see what happens when I smack my crowbar into the columbian's gonads.

HobbesHax said:
I would use the stuff to hoist me up into the air, but i hope they fixed the bumping in which you were "bumbped" away from physics material.

You can pick stuff up with your hands, check out the ravenholm Bink, you clearly see Gorden picking up a barrel, dropping it, and then shooting it to make an exsplotion next to a zombie.

It wasnt something they need to "fix" its a CS:S thing that they put in on purpose, to stop Skywalking i guess... even though thats impossible
To answer your question, watch the binks, you can walk into objects

Didnt they put in the barrel phenomenon to save bandwidth?

As for me i am gonna to try and jump above a strider open the hatch that leads to the inside of the strider, smash combines head with the crowbar, and slide down one leg like legolas does in lotr !

Use a knife to cut a womens shirt and bra off :p

*clears throat*
Actually I would surf the table down the stairs too!

Why do you people think stair surfing would even be possible. What video makes you think this interaction is possible.

What video makes you think this interaction is possible.

E3 2003. Gabe (at least, I'm assuming it's Gabe) clearly says 'there's no limit to the complexity of these interactions'; the footage shows a table and the objects resting on it being picked up by the body of a combine, and thrown into the water. And they've already said that Gordon's body is physically simulated.

There clearly is a limit, that limit being if it was unlimited no computer out now could handle it without constant slowdowns waiting for the cpu to figure out the physics.

It might be possible but I haven't seen anything to say that it's possible. My main doubt is that I read about how they were thinking about recoding how the player works. Using procedural animation and a more complex physics mesh for the player. So if they wanted to they could have something say trip or knock down the player. They decided instead to go with the same way the player is coded in HL to make sure things felt the same between the games.

Well from looking at the binks, friction seems to be well modelled, so I see no reason why it shouldn't be possible. Besides, I think it was mentioned in one of the old previews at some point...

The table thing sounds fun.
I would want to smash a window, and then throw the fragments on some civilians. :E

I'm just going to play trough the game and play with the physics anyway I want. Then, when I have finished the game I will build a HL2 physics playground. =)

I really would like centripetal force to be modeled. I don't think that it is though ;( Would be cool to be able to have a sort of G-force machine or something :) Or that you would not fall off standing on a car driving through a banked bend.

Back