Physics (small issue)

worldspawn, why did you quote exactly what i said, and add material, then put your name on it??? that really bugs me... can you please not do that next time?

Originally posted by Abom|nation
The thing that we should be discussing is why the combine soldier that got crushed by the crate ended up inside it when Gordon drops down - a clipping error.

Hopefully will be fixed.

it'll be hard for them to do without it looking silly unless they make sure people gib when they get crushed like that...

because if he didn't clip thru it...you would have the container balancing on top of the dead body which would also pretty much look silly...

Did anyone read what I wrote on the first page? It's a demo artifact, not a game problem. We knew his two weeks ago, straight from valve. While it's great that the valve guys are answering questions, it must suck to get the same questions mailed to them over and over and over, endlessly.

Originally posted by EVIL
Not that I am aware off.. but someone told me that he blocks off all e-mail exept the mail of his friends etc. id is starting to suck so badd

iD sucks because John Carmack doesn't reply to an e-mail filled with your suggestions for his game? Rough.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

X-Sender: [email protected]
X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Version 4.3.1
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:17:46 -0600
To: Paul ODonnell
Subject: Re: serious question
X-UCL-MailScanner: Found to be clean

At 12:23 PM 1/30/2003 +0000, you wrote:
Dear John,

Quick question, the question arose in our gaming community at www.masheads.com

DOES JOHN CARMACK DRINK BEER!!!?

if not , then what do you drink for kicks...some folk here are claiming that the farthest you go is coffee..and that only to further your coding hours to produce even more evil geniousnosity! :D

I basically don't drink. I don't have any moral posturing about it, I just hardly ever feel like drinking anything alcoholic. My idea of a good time is innovative problem solving, which is rarely benefited by alcohol... :)

John Carmack

lol friend who runs gaming servers sent that off asking if he drank beer. So it seems if you ask him personal questions he will reply.

Originally posted by BDC22
worldspawn, why did you quote exactly what i said, and add material, then put your name on it??? that really bugs me... can you please not do that next time?
i wanted an answer to your exact question.. it just saved time.. who the **** cares about "credit" for an email, christ.

I'm sure carmack and many others get regular helpings of "suggestions" that would be considered lame to anyone beyond a certain age or fandom. Wanting to see bullet-time fighting cause you just watch the matrix is not a suggestion that most professionals would want to be bothered with.

Once your name is know you also get the same emails sent to you over and over again. Often by people who are lazy, immature or haven't bothered to be knowledgeable about the subject at hand. I created a site for GIF animations many years ago and despite having tutorials that walked you through creation using free programs that were supplied thru links, every week I got emails from people asking me HOW DO I.... and I would email back a link to the tutorials. In 99% of the emails all the answers had already been published.

Having "fan" mail has got to be largely boring. Outside suggestions would have to occur during the initial planning stages of a game, otherwise it is a waste of time. Also if suggestions were desirable there is the issue of legality, payment etc. FOr that reason I imagine many emails go completely unread.

Back