Pilotable Strider Alpha Mod 0.2 Released

TheQuartz

Reaction score
Hi everybody!!.

I have finished the second version of the Pilotable Strider Alpha Mod (0.2).

You can download from here

See readme.txt

You can see screenshots here:

HL2Spain.com

This are the new features:

Strider:
- Direct Key navigation (WAS). No backwards, sorry
- Crouch (With Duck key)
- Anti-matter cannon (With the Second attack button (default right mouse))
- Leg Attack ( With Jump key). Pointing an objective.
- Third Person View (With Reload Key)
- Drive directly touching and using the strider (With USE key, like a jeep or a buggy).

Half life 2:
- In the mod, if you load a Half life 2 map, you can create a strider with the command create_strider or prees the K key to create directly, and drive it in your favourite half life 2 map (only works with some maps) or your custom HL2 single player map.

Hammer:
- If you create a Half life 2 map in Hammer with a npc_strider and load it in the mod, this strider will be driveable too. (Create you own Pilotable Strider Maps).

In version 0.3, this mod will be MULTIPLAYER. And you can make maps for it.

Thanks all. Bye!!

it deosnt work, when i press the combine console thing there is a button noise but nothing happens...

it has this error in the console
ReadyNPC()--npc_strider couldn't find target nodo

little help?

Sweet! Going to have some fun with the antimatter cannon :naughty:

King John said:
it deosnt work, when i press the combine console thing there is a button noise but nothing happens...

it has this error in the console
ReadyNPC()--npc_strider couldn't find target nodo

little help?

Use the strider, not the combine console.

You can use any map of HL2, not only quartz_strider_playground

check, for example d2_coast_10

Euhm, why cant i aim with my mouse, the aim thingy is just stuck.
It keeps aimed at the floor :-(

plz help or fix this :cheers:

hmm, that deosnt work either, gah!!!

the "use" key deosnt do anyhting to striders! i have been next to them and far away and it deosnt work, all they do is step on me.

I absolutely love this.

You can you explain why we cant go back? Some technical mumbo jumbo no doubt :D

BTW, why does the framerate on the legs moving seem odd, its like a quick snap animation, looks weird.

King John said:
hmm, that deosnt work either, gah!!!

the "use" key deosnt do anyhting to striders! i have been next to them and far away and it deosnt work, all they do is step on me.

Have todo it on the right leg.

Raawr said:

plz help or fix this :cheers:

This is really horrible for me :-(

BTW: This is bound to be a AWSOME mod when all bugs are out

Because is a little more complicated to do the strider go back, and i wanted to release 0.2 today. It's an alpha mod, still in development. Sorry for this bug.

In 0,3 i will fix this, and make this mod MULTIPLAYER. (Strider Deathmatch MOD).

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Raawr

plz help or fix this

You can't aim with the mouse???. What's the problem?. In the strider?, in third view?. Please, all bugs to [email protected] and i will fix them in the next version.

Another bug:

When i press "jump" it just choses if it does leg attack or stands up / ducks.

Im not dissing, I really godam love it :D!

But I just wondered why we cant go back - and is the framerate on the legs thing something that can be fixed?

TheQuartz said:
Because is a little more complicated to do the strider go back, and i wanted to release 0.2 today. It's an alpha mod, still in development. Sorry for this bug.

In 0,3 i will fix this, and make this mod MULTIPLAYER. (Strider Deathmatch MOD).

Thanks.

You can't aim with the mouse???. What's the problem?. In the strider?, in third view?. Please, all bugs to [email protected] and i will fix them in the next version.

Okay gone report the bugs now, hope you fix em

Raawr said:
Another bug:

When i press "jump" it just choses if it does leg attack or stands up / ducks.

¿?. You're the first person i see this problem. JUMP and DUCK are separated commands in code. What's your configuration?.

Please, send me all your bugs. Thanks and sorry for all bugs. This is an alpha version :).

And sorry for my english, is no good.

EDITED:

Yeah, the problem can be that you're doing Leg Attack in Crouch posture. The Strider sequence to the leg attack is only in stand posture, but i don't restrict that. It's this?.

Let's see. You are in crouch posture and do LEG ATTACK, no?

When you are looking straight up and enter the strider, the view gets messed up. Also I got stuck going foreward a couple of times. But all over this is very exccelent work Quartz. I am having a "blast" blowing up all the boxes and fences on d2_coast_03.

Ive done a pretty through playing of this mod, atleast to my standards. I found that the strider doesn't trigger the spawn or load points of the maps, so you are basically going through the levels with no enemies. This is a bit frustrating as all you can do is shoot boxes. The first and foremost reccomendation I have is for the strider to actually trigger enemy spawning. Once this is fixed, the mod can be fine tuned to perfection.

Yeah, the problem is that the player is up, and the triggers down in HL2. Sorry...:(

well i still cant get into a strider, use key, console or anything, is that a bug?

This mod is so cool, great work.

I also love the ricocheting crossbow bolts, great fun watching them bounce and pin multiple enemies with.

Looks great! Really enjoyed the first... I will load it up later tonight. Thanks for all the work on the mod!

Tried this mod on Highway, and it was ok, but too much walking, not enough action. Not remember specifically what exact map would allow me to move and progress, and still fight, I got an idea... ANTLION TROOPERS!

Oh yeah, load up ANTLION TROPPERS and THAT is a blast. Leg attack antlions, dissinegrate the Combate, blow the gunships to pieces--oh yeah! A ton of action and fun.

Some comments on the mod:

-It is GREAT!
-The cannon (Mouse 2) is awesome--thanks for putting it in.
-Leg attacks are fun, it is nice to get someone stuck on a leg!
-I really like how the Strider navigates the terrain. He actually places his feet into positions to get over and around stuff very well.

-The animation is a little jerky still. This does not bother me but it seems to affect the camera also. Is there a way to smooth out the camera some?
-I think I liked the point and click move interface better. It was easier to turn around, seemed a LOT smoother also. Maybe keep it as an option? I think both would be nice, that way people could choose. I am not sure it is possible, just a suggestion :)
-Maps... lots of maps :) Suggestion: If everyone who has played this mod and found a specific map (e.g. highway_#3 or however they are numbered) please list them so Quartz can put it into the next README. It is hard to find GOOD maps to play this on... and it is worth enjoying!

I am really looking forward to MP! I can see this having all kinds of neat scenarios... I actually think non-deathmatch would be best. Like one group defending a target from a building and the striders coming in to attack the target. Make it team based with wave after wave of striders, with a set time to destroy the target. Stuff like that :)

Man, this is great fun! Keep up the great work!

Keyboard control is good, yes, but it's also quite dodgy. Point and click provides a more smooth and precise movement, though it seemingly also hinders viewpoints and the likes.

How do I fix there problem where the 1st person view is fixed looking down?Or is that part of it?

It's an alpha version. I know the bugs, but don't worry, i'm now fixing it. When i finish, i would release v0.25 single player, but 0.3 would be a Strider Mod Multiplayer.

Any suggestions please, to [email protected]

Thanks to all!!.

Jametiks said:
How do I fix there problem where the 1st person view is fixed looking down?Or is that part of it?

You had the same problem as me, but with me it was for the third person vieuw to. I just restarted steam/ game and it worked

I got a suggestion.
Make it so that you can steer the strider with the mouse like in halo you could with the buggys and other vehicles.

Sooo, if you point to the right with the aim the strider will turn right untill he's right in front of the aim thingy.
easyer to steer.

Raawr said:
I got a suggestion.
Make it so that you can steer the strider with the mouse like in halo you could with the buggys and other vehicles.

Sooo, if you point to the right with the aim the strider will turn right untill he's right in front of the aim thingy.
easyer to steer.
So your aim and walking direction is controlled by the same thing? That would ruin it i think.
I tried it and just about everything is bugged to hell. Cant aim with the mouse, animation is jerky, secondary fire gets all ****ed up if you dont just click once and stay still till its finished shooting, cant get out of the strider, changing view doesnt work sometimes, and after playing for a while the strider would no longer walk so i quit.

Back