Pilotable Strider mod demonstrates portal functionality!

Sulkdodds

Companion Cube
Reaction score
The team of the Pilotable Strider Mod asked themselves a simple question: could they, independently, create portals in Source just like in Prey and Valve's upcoming stunner Portal? The answer was yes, and this is the result: an MP mod the team are calling 'Exite' (exit/excite - geddit?) where each player can create two linked slipgates. Whether objects can fall or be pushed through the wormholes, we don't know - nor do we know whether it uses 'true' portals or a teleport-based fudge - but it's impressive nonetheless.

Click here to see it in action.

these guys are gods - their mod has the potential to be enormous, I hope they meet that expectation

Well, that kind of ruins some of the suspense of waiting for Portal.

I'm dissapointed that it was done so easily. (Well, not really "easy", but it didn't take as long as I thought it would)

So now I guess everyone is going to be making puzzle maps and such, and Portal will just be like an expansion pack, heh.

Wonder what Valve thinks.

Yep, not full portals yet. This seems to have the same functionality as the gmod one, but with better visuals.

Still impressive work, though :)

That's astounding. So it's simple enough to do a 'Portal' game... I wonder what else one can do. Hot damn, I need to take some time to read the Source SDK docs.

Hmmm..I'm not going to touch that until portal comes out.. :p I want to be shocked still ;)

Impressive.
I kinda feel sorry for the Prey devs though.
If i were them i would've taken a risk and released the game years ago,while i still had the upper hand.Now,it's just sad.

why feel sorry for them? they released first with portals. feel sorry for valve if anyone, releasing something like portals after another game and a mod on your own engine released it.

how is it sad?

Impressive.
I kinda feel sorry for the Prey devs though.
If i were them i would've taken a risk and released the game years ago,while i still had the upper hand.Now,it's just sad.

That isn't the worst of it though, pbmax at doom3world.org already made a portal mod (just using scripts...he didn't even need to use the SDK) for Quake 4 last year.

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=13874&highlight=portal

Of course on the other hand Prey has a lot more going for it then portals...

Portals do not a game make. What made Prey a good game was not the portals/gravity alone, that was a gameplay element that made the game interesting and fresh, but the game would have been nothing without a good story, a interesting setting, and working engageing gameplay.

I loved the balance of puzzles, good action, and very few frustrating elements. In my mind its the game doom3 failed to be, (much due to the engine being the same) Definately the best thing ive seen on the d3 engine. :)

Still, I bet Portal will have muchos better maps than what most people can produce.

I was upset, to see it done so easy but even if it "looks" the same, the performances/bugs might be alot different, it might not work the same physically at all... for example, will it work on floors and roofs for Exite?

Yes, works in floors and roofs. But we don't want to make a puzzle game like VALVe's Portal. We want to use the portals in multiplayer, and make new gamemodes based in this feature.

We will show you soon a new video from Exite.

------------------
TheQuartz. Strider Mod Developer.

It would be funny if say three people could make 3 portals under a striders legs and make it get stuck. Or if 4 or more people could combine their portals into one huge portal that would suck up a strider. lol

Valve got owned.
How? There was really nothing special about what valve was doing in terms of the actual portal technology since it's no longer new anyway. This doesnt effect valves portal game at all which should be an extremly good puzzle game.

Well its all very nice to demonstrate this, but unless forms the basis of an interesting gaming experience rather than a novelty it hardly undermines the efforts of Valve.

It's a teleport-based fudge. You can tell when he's doing the spin around thing.

Still fairly impressive tho.

It's a teleport-based fudge. You can tell when he's doing the spin around thing.

Still fairly impressive tho.

Yeah, after playing with the Garry's mod portal gun, you can see that it is a teleport, the player seems to snap to the location, rather than fluidly pass through it.

Yeah, after playing with the Garry's mod portal gun, you can see that it is a teleport, the player seems to snap to the location, rather than fluidly pass through it.

Is only a little bug with the client side code. We solved it today and now goes fluidly.

what are your plans for it quartz?
personally speaking it would be awesome in Titan mode - Strider, Gunship and Hunter Synths versus grav gun/portal gun/gauss gun wielding human rebels
Have you any plans to implement the crab and mortar synths and even the imploding hopwire (strider buster possibly) http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110926

Exite is a different mod. Not Strider Mod. Is only a little experiment using portals in a multiplayer enviroment.

oh I see
do you plan on implementing it in strider mod? Would be a great way to rope in the players

I'd like to know, can you you shoot through them or throw objects through? And what's with the grayed out second portal when you look at it through the first one? Can only one be rendered properly at time, and if thats true I'm assuming that the "infinate falling trick" doesn't work properly because it would only render the next instance of the portal properly when looking either up or down while falling.

We deactivate "hall of mirrors" effect to get a good perfomance in multiplayer. But you can fall and fall and fall between two portals and also you can shoot through portals. (In one test, someone created a portal in the roof, and hide him into another room, where he spawned the second portal. He shooted the players like a sniper through this portal).

Back