platforming

Korgoth

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the first half life had quite a bit of platforming action, jumping around elevator shafts and jumping puzzles, climbing, that sort of thing. I liked it. But from the looks of the videos we've seen thus far, it looks like a standard run and gun. Hardly any jumping from what i've seen.

Do you guys think hl2 will have some platforming in it, or will we just be shooting straight ahead? And what about the puzzles?

If I remember correctly, the first half life had quite a bit of platforming action, jumping around elevator shafts and jumping puzzles, climbing, that sort of thing. I liked it. But from the looks of the videos we've seen thus far, it looks like a standard run and gun. Hardly any jumping from what i've seen.

Do you guys think hl2 will have some platforming in it, or will we just be shooting straight ahead? And what about the puzzles?

The Manipulator adds a whole new dimension to FPS Puzzle..
There will be puzzles like 80% of HL2 gameplay..

You have to trigger that trap.. but before you have to do that..

And to cross that bridge, you have to shoot that rope first.. and then...

The physicsa are good.. but i dont want to Puzzle the entire time..

EDIT: oh. and i hope they dont showoff the physics so much.. it should come naturally under gameplay..

trigger = combine falls onto a **** and the **** rolls down and collides with blababla... WOW!!! look at that.. its AMAZING!

*speculation mode on*
There must be some platforming... but probably not as much as in HL. This would have to do with the fact that HL2s maps are mostly outdoors and HLs mostly indoors. There has to be a few elevator shafts in HL2... right?
*speculation mode off*

It's actually a bit worrying that we haven't been shown that much diversity in the gameplay...

I don't know why people hated the Xen levels so much. I personally liked the contrast with the other HL levels. Xen was a lot more disjointed, and I thought the jumping "puzzles" (come on, they weren't actually puzzles; my little sister could have figured them out) were a fresh change of pace from running around blasting everything in sight. I hope there are some similar areas in HL2.

kaellinn18 said:
I don't know why people hated the Xen levels so much. I personally liked the contrast with the other HL levels. Xen was a lot more disjointed, and I thought the jumping "puzzles" (come on, they weren't actually puzzles; my little sister could have figured them out) were a fresh change of pace from running around blasting everything in sight. I hope there are some similar areas in HL2.

They were easy to figure out, sure, but it could be a total bitch to pull off the jumps! Brain taxing problem solving is better than pixel perfect landing.

Jump Puzels = Lazy level design..... unless....

you're playing Metroid Prime. The only FPS I can think off where you feel you have a decent degree of control over where you land. Otherwise, jump puzels belong in platformers. Shame there are hardly any platformers any more.

i personally love the jump maps for cs :) but they do get boring.

In hl it was a refreshing change, and the amount you had to do was right as otherwise you'd get bored. blasting stuffs so much better for HL :D

Physics add all sorts of fun puzzle options. Although since not everything is interactable some people might get confused. I hope jumping puzzles are dead. Freaking mario obstacle courses. Also being able to control a squad might be a key to some puzzles who knows.

Back