Playing an audio CD while playing HL2!? What the diddlely-o?

Frank

Reaction score
I remember some of the guys from Valve mentioned you could do this, but how the hell does that work? You'll need the HL2 Play CD to be in the DVD-drive, so how can you put in an audio CD asell? Just asking...

same as half-life 1. after checking the cd is in at startup you can just take it out and replace it with another cd. in the case of hl, the corresponding tracknumbers on the cd you put in would be played.

How can you put the CD/DVD in if you've downloaded the game from Steam? :p

if you bought the game via steam and have all the media DL'ed onto your computer then i dont see a problem with this. but people that have purchased the game from a retail store and have the hard copies might have a problem but i doubt it. steam makes it so that you just register your product and play without the needs for cd's. this is one of the great things about steam and the fact that the offline mode works pretty well now is a plus. not to flame anyone here but getting a second drive is cheap now a days. a quality CD-RW drive is about $40 so there isnt much of a reason to not have 2 drives unless you have a mini PC or are limited by your PSU.

DirtyApe said:
if you bought the game via steam and have all the media DL'ed onto your computer then i dont see a problem with this. but people that have purchased the game from a retail store and have the hard copies might have a problem but i doubt it. steam makes it so that you just register your product and play without the needs for cd's. this is one of the great things about steam and the fact that the offline mode works pretty well now is a plus. not to flame anyone here but getting a second drive is cheap now a days. a quality CD-RW drive is about $40 so there isnt much of a reason to not have 2 drives unless you have a mini PC or are limited by your PSU.

well maybe once you install it you don't need to put the disc in again. i mean think about it, it won't need the disc to authorize, that is what steam is for when you first install it so i bet we won't need to insert discl it at all after the first day.......

HL1 (BEFORE Steam) didn't even need the CD in to play.

You didn't even need the CD in to start the game, just for the install.

RakuraiTenjin said:
HL1 (BEFORE Steam) didn't even need the CD in to play.

You didn't even need the CD in to start the game, just for the install.
Aaaaand finally someone gets it...

also if it requires a CD to play it.. you can install a thing called a "no cd crack"... it is 100% legal IF you own the game

I don't understand exactly...I've never bothered to try it with HL1.

If you put in an Audio CD, it will play the music on your CD in replace of the music in game?

For example, when you get the HEV suit, it would play track # 2 at that point? Is that it?

soccerdude21490 said:
also if it requires a CD to play it.. you can install a thing called a "no cd crack"... it is 100% legal IF you own the game

No, it isn't legal. Morally yes, legally no :p

You don't need a cd!!!

If you did then the steam buyers would be screwed!!!!!!!

Actually downloading a crack IS legal, whether you own the game or not
warezing the game is illegal,
and MAKING a crack (reverse engineering the *.exe) is illegal
but downloading a crack isnt breaking a single law

I doubt you'll need a cd to play. Steam dosn't require the hl1 CD, and all the music is in mp3 format in the steam folders.

fantasiser said:
Actually downloading a crack IS legal, whether you own the game or not
warezing the game is illegal,
and MAKING a crack (reverse engineering the *.exe) is illegal
but downloading a crack isnt breaking a single law
Depends on the country. I don't think it's legal in the US or UK though.

Besides - you won't need the HL2 CD/DVD in the drive to play. Thank God!

They should make it like Battlefield Vietnam did. You can put your own music in the game and play music while your playing.

Ownzed said:
They should make it like Battlefield Vietnam did. You can put your own music in the game and play music while your playing.

That was about the only thing good to come outta BF:V...

I thought I heard that HL2 had a built in MP3 player..

Was I wrong?

**edit,. wrong. MP3 playback is supported by the engine, and a built in user playlist could very easily be 'modded in'. ;)

source

yes you were, in fact, it was said it DOES NOT have an internal mp3 player, but it has mp3 playing code alredy written (miles) and it's an easy mod. source: my memory, but it's somewhere in the info from valve thread. the task of looking it up is your's, not mine :p

Yombi said:
No, it isn't legal. Morally yes, legally no :p
Umm.. Actually it IS legal..

Why do you think big sites like Megagames aren't taken down? They offer cracks...

I would find a link to where it says they are legal, but I am sure you can do that.

Let's go with a simple summary:

HL1 music pre-Steam was done by the CD. you did not requirely need the CD inside the computer to run the game, only to install it. If you didn't have the CD in the computer, you'd hear no music in the game.

Pop in some CD from a band like Nine Inch Nails (making an example, replace that with your own bands you listen to) and if there's a track number that's on the CD, it plays it.

Steam HL has all the game's music in low-bit MP3s. If you have a CD in there, like before, it'll play the track equivalent in Steam HL. If there isn't, it goes by the MP3.

Now the MP3s in the media folder of Steam HL may not be ordered by track number, but they DO play in the correct order in game.

HL2 will most likely work the same way: If there is a CD track equivalent to the "track" within HL2, it plays the CD track instead of the in game music.

Then again, why would you not want to listen to the HL2 music anyway? :p

vegeta897 said:
Umm.. Actually it IS legal..

Why do you think big sites like Megagames aren't taken down? They offer cracks...

I would find a link to where it says they are legal, but I am sure you can do that.
Downloading the cracks might be legal, but using them might not.

Depends on your EULA and how it represents your local law.

Legal or not, I never use cracks. I hate finding a new crack everytime when a new patch comes out. Because I have more than enough HD space (280 GB) I can copy the CD's of the games I play often to my hd and insert them with Deamon Tools. I've read you can't use CD emulation software with some games (Far Cry, The Sims 2) but I didn't had those problems yet. I even managd to copy the Far Cry DVD to my hd and use it without any problems. And UT2004 doesn't need a cd either after patch v3204.

And because of Steam I don't think you need to insert the CD/DVD to play HL2.

Back