playing HL2 in a portable Hardrive

D

danydrunk

Hey I want to see if someone can help me with this.

I currently have no computer of my own, so I had to install the game in my portable hardrive so that I play it in school.

The installation went good, and the game worked ok. The next day I tried to play, I opened steam and halflife 2 was not available in the "My games" although it is installed in my hardrive. This is weird because it worked when I installed it but when I tried again its not working. The game is installed, Im sure about it. So my question is, what kind of files does half life need to put in the computer to work? errr.......I guess this is harder than I thought

there may be invalid regestry keys...
but i'm not helping you anymore, cause you shouldn;t be playing that at school

The computers in most schools these days do not not allow installtion privlidges, so I am wondering how the helll you got to install.

But anyways, schools now have a program that resets anything downloaded on the harddrive, unless saved on the network(you do not wanna run HL2 from the network either... that would make everything slow).

well Im student game arts and design, I have been working hard or the last year so I decided to reward myself with this awesome game. After I complete half life i plan to make some maps. In my school we use the unreal engine, so I want to try the hl2 sdk.

And dont worry its working now, its just some computers that werent working, See you in death match :sniper:

just install steam on thoes computers then

the computers reset everytime you reboot them, thats why I used my hardrive.

ahhh, they do that at the university here....

well, you're prolly out of luck then

Use an old school non-steam version of half life... that'd be a heap simpler

bliink said:
Use an old school non-steam version of half life... that'd be a heap simpler

He wants to play HL2.

Its not showing up in your 'My Games' folder because even though steam is installed on the portable drive, it by default looks for C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps...blah blah and you need to change it look at H or whatever your portable drive is... dont know how to do that though, toodles :imu: That's my theory anyways.

You would have to change a few registery keys. Yep yep you would.

I could search for the exact ones you have to change later. But you will have to change where it looks.

Can you tell me where steam is saved on your portable hard drive?

jaja yeah, its workin now, but thanks to all for your help !!!

A way to refresh your game list would be to for Example - C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\ : Where the .GCF Files are, If You Delete your "WinUi.gcf" and your "Platform.gcf" steam will automatically Restore those files from the Steam Servers and Refresh your game list. Just in case the problem re occurs. While you Delete these Files be sure that Steam is Off. And if its not you'll have to Restart Steam.

how could u possiblly play hl2 if steam wont connect it dosent connect in my school because port 80 is blocked

Yeah dizzy your first post....umm those were from 03-03-2005.
Or:
March 3rd, 2005.
It is currently December 2005. This is old.

You don't need registry keys or anything - I moved my Steam installation (folder) to another partition, deleted the clientregistry.blob file (as the Valve help says to do) and re-ran Steam once I'd reinstalled XP on my main partition. It runs fine without re-installation.

SO, you might try deleted clientregistry.blob? I know it's the über fix for everything, but it does tend to work when your config has changed and steam just needs to re-acquaint itself with your setup.

When I was in school, the blocks they put in for not installing games and such were easy to go around...

In my middle school there were kids playing CS, Quake and Starcraft LAN parties in the library. Then some student council shits complained they were too violent and shouldn't be allowed on campus. Our librarian who was a gamer himself decided not to allow further gaming.

Back