Please Help With HL2 Wireframe/Memory Error!! I still cant play!

MajorPayne

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a fix or a workaround (or even a suggestion) for the problem where there are wireframes all around the intro screen, and there is a "referenced memory" error (see pic http://www.halflife2.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12180&stc=1
HL2Error.jpg). I can only play the game if I choose 800x600 resolution, and then there are wireframes everywhere (no viewscreens work, backgrounds missing -- just crap). I have tried all possible drivers for my 9600XT, from 4.9 to 4.12 beta, and even omega to no avail. I also made sure that ALL of my other games in steam are at 100% Finally, I also tried the suggested redownload of source models.gcf (after renaming the original), but this did not help.

I am at my wits end here -- I have been up with only 1 hour sleep since midnight trying to fix this, and I am going nutz. I have emailed Erik, but have not heard back, and I need some help. SO please guys (and gals) if you have any advice/suggestions/ help, please respond (and quickly, before I die of disappointment because everyone else can play but me :( )
THanks

sorry to get your hopes up with a shitty reply, but I just saw your pc spec and I feel sorry for you not being able to play it with such an obviously good enough system. Goodluck.

Can't help I'm afraid - really bad news though. I'm sure there will be solutions soon.

We're still in the 'dead' hours where everyone is either sleeping or playing. Give it a bit of time and see what happens.

What operating system/build are you running? Type in "winver" in the run box and let us know what it says. I would try a repair reinstall of the operating system if I were you. If you have a few tech skills you can setup a JIT debugger to catch the exception being thrown and see what module is doing it. If it is a HL2 binary then it is a bug with HL2 and you need to contact tech support and wait for a patch :( If it is a system binary then we can maybe help you.

To setup a JIT debugger on Windows XP open regedit.
1. Goto the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug" key and edit the Debugger value to read "ntsd -p %ld" instead of "drwtsn32 -p %ld -e %ld -g"
NOTE: save the old value so you can put it back when you are done.

To dump what is happening wait for the ntsd.exe command window to show up after the crash. You may need to alt tab to the window and press Alt-Enter to go fullscreen if HL2 is still in fullscreen mode. In the ntsd command window type "kb" and enter
then type "lm" and enter. Then copy and paste everything that is in the ntsd window and post it here. We might be able to help you out.

InvaderScooge said:
What operating system/build are you running? Type in "winver" in the run box and let us know what it says. I would try a repair reinstall of the operating system if I were you. If you have a few tech skills you can setup a JIT debugger to catch the exception being thrown and see what module is doing it. If it is a HL2 binary then it is a bug with HL2 and you need to contact tech support and wait for a patch :( If it is a system binary then we can maybe help you.

To setup a JIT debugger on Windows XP open regedit.
1. Goto the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug" key and edit the Debugger value to read "ntsd -p %ld" instead of "drwtsn32 -p %ld -e %ld -g"
NOTE: save the old value so you can put it back when you are done.

To dump what is happening wait for the ntsd.exe command window to show up after the crash. You may need to alt tab to the window and press Alt-Enter to go fullscreen if HL2 is still in fullscreen mode. In the ntsd command window type "kb" and enter
then type "lm" and enter. Then copy and paste everything that is in the ntsd window and post it here. We might be able to help you out.

Thank you Scooge. My O/S is Xp-Pro SP2, ( I set up and installed one right after the other last week). THis also happens on my SP1 machine (but I only copied the steam files from the one to the other). Unfortunately, I cannot do the debugger at this time, since I uninstalled HL2 and all steam files (although I kept the folder in case). I am only 90 minutes left to redownload the whole thing from scratch, and I do not want to abandon it. I will try this if I still have a problem after a fresh download, and thanks for the advice. I should have thought of that before starting the redownload, but I have been up and working on this since midnight with no sleep -- I think my brain is fried!

Back