please help x800xtpe overheating.

Reaction score
guys, i need helf fast.

2 months ago i cleaned my system.

then when playing games, i would get minor artifacts and such.

i didnt pay notice to it, now playing farcry on high settings, it ran for 20 minutes, then it major artifacts, and it crashed.

i got afraid so i look at the case.

MY FAN on the GPU is not spinning. **** how do i turn it on?

its burning hot right now, i turned of the cmop, and opened the case to get new air in it.

i got many fans in my comp but its not helping, how do i make the fan work again?

It might be permanently fu****. You get artifacts when your card is overheating. This happens mostly when you overclock too much without sufficient cooling. You say you have many fans, the heat was obviously not dissapating, just being tossed around.

DEATHMASTER said:
It might be permanently fu****. You get artifacts when your card is overheating. This happens mostly when you overclock too much without sufficient cooling. You say you have many fans, the heat was obviously not dissapating, just being tossed around.

THE FAN ON THE VIDEO CARD IS NOT WORKING

There are 2 4 pin connectors on my VIDEO card.

only 1 of them is on.

i might have forgotten to connect the other one.

is this an issue? i think thats hte problem

ok i plugged both power connectors on the x800xtpe

fan still dosent turn.

any ideas?

It sounds to me like the fan is broken or something and will not work again. If you want to keep your x800 I would suggest buying a replacement fan for it ASAP. I would suggest an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer they are very nice and will cool the card far better than any stock cooler.

bosox188 said:
It sounds to me like the fan is broken or something and will not work again. If you want to keep your x800 I would suggest buying a replacement fan for it ASAP. I would suggest an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer they are very nice and will cool the card far better than any stock cooler.

i contacted ASUS. they were good about it

they are going to send me a replacement fan for free. it should be here in a few days

the artifacting does not occure on the desktop only in games when it gets really hot.

im useing hte video card right now. i need it

hopefully it wont burn itself.

do you think this will happen? i dont think so not on regular desktop and word applications.

ill wait tillt he fan comes, replace it, if i still have artifacting, i will RMA the video card itself.

thanks guys.

As long as you dont use any graphical intensive programs your card should be fine. Just don't run any games or 3D apps.

You may still get artifacts after you have replaced the fan. Ganerally once you get artifacts they're there to stay. The only true fix is a new gfx card. Is it still under warrenty? If you still get artifacts when you put the new fan on you may be able to ask for a complete replacement card.

Ren.182 said:
As long as you dont use any graphical intensive programs your card should be fine. Just don't run any games or 3D apps.

You may still get artifacts after you have replaced the fan. Ganerally once you get artifacts they're there to stay. The only true fix is a new gfx card. Is it still under warrenty? If you still get artifacts when you put the new fan on you may be able to ask for a complete replacement card.

thanks a lot, you gave me a piece of mind with the replacement

im a little scared that your right and i will get artifacts again.

i hope it doesnot happen.

do you think asus will replace it? is this is an RMA, ive had it for 1.5 years only.

Becareful with the power plugs. If they are different connectors then they are just there to give you different options depending on what kind of plug you have free. Don't use both. If they are 2 molex connectors that are the same like on the 6800 Ultras then you can use both.

Hope the fan fixes the artifacts. Tunnel designed heatsinks may not be as effective as they should be if you have a lot of airflow from the front case fans. Just because the airflow is conflicting.

Anyway to deflect front airflow down first? Then it wouldnt' run headlong into the end of the gfx card.

Asus said:
Becareful with the power plugs. If they are different connectors then they are just there to give you different options depending on what kind of plug you have free. Don't use both. If they are 2 molex connectors that are the same like on the 6800 Ultras then you can use both.

Hope the fan fixes the artifacts. Tunnel designed heatsinks may not be as effective as they should be if you have a lot of airflow from the front case fans. Just because the airflow is conflicting.

Anyway to deflect front airflow down first? Then it wouldnt' run headlong into the end of the gfx card.

asus, i dont know what you said man, what are you saying?

but i got 1 intake fan, in the bottom of my case, and 1 exhost fan in the back.

i got 1 side fan blowing right over the CPU. with a custome CPU zalman fan.

it is the gray antec case with glass window.

i hope the new stock fan works and i dont get any artifacts,

if i do? should i request an RMA for hte card itself?

Yeah I would request an RMA for the Card if it continues since you seem to be under warranty.

What I was saying earlier...
Notice how this card has a purple and yellow power plug?
I know with my card it had a warning sticker or something saying don't use both plugs. It could cause a problem.

On this card (6800Ultra) you could use both since that is why they are there.
If your card needs more juice.

The other thing I was saying about people not having good airflow with gfx cards and the tunnel heatsinks. Check out this card again and look at where the air is going.
It's coming from the back of the case and pushed toward the front. The air does not move well inside the Tunnel heatsink on the GFX card because the front case fans are pushing air at the end of the GFX card. I didn't have problems with mine but I wanted to get better cooling and a fan that was quieter so I bought something like this.

all i can say is, the fan is dead period

major artifacting only in BF2 DEMO (even when the game has just started, it immiediatly gives video errors)

no artifacting in CS 1.6 after hours on 1600x1200

I just palyed EP1 with all high settings for 2 hours. 6xaa 16xaf, full HDR no artifacting.

Far cry after 40-1 hour of gameplay it crashed.

FAn is dead,

2 intake fans, 1 front 1side, 1 exhost plus cpu.

the side intake fan is directly over the VGA and it still does not cool it. im waiting for the new cooler to come, its stock for free.

i dont even know how to install that either so. im ****ed.

lol, look the on bright side (this will cost $!), you have a dimwitted excuse to buy a new, better, hopefully better-working card!

DEATHMASTER said:
lol, look the on bright side (this will cost $!), you have a dimwitted excuse to buy a new, better, hopefully better-working card!

your crazy this card cost me 767$ all in all.

this shit btter not break down only in a year. i already dropped 2500$ on a custme built pc. no way im spending another 500 for a top notch graphics card.

Back