Please... No more Gravity Gun....

Fuzileer

Reaction score
At least for a good section of the game.

I found that having only the Gravity Gun at the start of Ep1 and Ep2 just got repetitive and I quickly lost interest in it.

I mean, yes it is a good weapon to have in your inventory, but I miss having the crowbar as your first weapon, and have to get up close and personal, and have to bear in mind you cant go charging into a battle, giving you the option to run.

I know that you cant just lose this gravity gun and break open a crate and find another, but if it was used by Alyx and then she gets lost, etc, it'd give you a good chance to remember just how usefull that crowbar was to you, aswell as a simple pistol.

Your opinions?

Bullshit, it's going to be in the players control for the entirety of EP3.

I agree...I hardly use the crowbar now, it just sits there. I don't even use it to kill man hacks any more, the gravity gun really revolutionised the game play but you cant beat a good running around out of ammo and beating the enemies with the crowbar moment.

I dont really mean to leave out the gravity gun for the entire episode 3, i mean, the gravity gun is essentialy the symbol of the half life 2 series.

I just got bored with being given the same gun for the first section of the game. You can tell that your chopper is going to get hit and crashes, leaving you with the first weapon at hand - the gravity gun.

Personally, it just gets tiresome for me. Thats my opinion.

I don't think the chopper will crash, I think they'll be some awesome shooting sequence in mid-air, shooting down combine gunships while alyx pilots it dodging bullets. :D

Probably Valve will do something unique and awesome and not just generic airplane\chopper crash.
Or they could just settle for a normal landing lol...

Then only use the gravity gun when you have to and use the crowbar the whole game. I did that for HL2 and it was a lot fun, but very hard.

What will it take to destroy the thing? It's already survived the Citadel explosion and a huge train crash...

I actually agree,I barely use the gravity gun,I use the crowbar to smash open box,and,if it has a gun and moves,it takes a heated bolt from la crossbow
only time I needed the Gravity gun was to throw a toilet at an enemy to get an HL2 achievement

Feels many times more satisfying beating down heavy combine forces with a crowbar than with the ggun.

i found it funny that you lose every weapon you have except the gravity gun lol

I dont even use the crowbar anymore really.. Ever..
Whenever i need to break anything i just use my gravity gun or even my shotgun. Besides, chucking explosives at the enemy will never get old :)

It would be better, if the Gun itself was decommissioned, and One of the HEV gloves were made into a gravity manipulator. Feel like a real Jedi ;)

I dunno. I still love the gravity gun. That old feeling of picking up a ****ing couch and flinging it across the room at your enemies, or smashing their faces in with toilet seats, is still amazing. It's just a joy to use. While I too would like some more crowbar-reliant sections, I do want to get my gravity gun again early on.

If you want no Gravity Gun, play Minerva or another good mod that plays without it. I can't see you being G-Gun less for Episode Three (unless it gets confiscated or something, if they give you the Portal Gun). Beyond HL2 Episodes, I kind of hope they do leave it out for a chunk of whatever game follows. But for now, being left with the other HL2 weapons would be like that awful hour of time before Christmas dinner, when you're left with all those relatives you love but have very little to say to.

I agree with the OP. The Gg is fun and all but...time for new.

The blue gravitygun is really fun though, especially in ep2.

I really hope we don't lose all our weapons again. But if we do it would be nice if it wasn't one of the first weapons we get, just to mix it up a bit - there is no question that some enemies are harder to fight without it. The first four chapters of HL2 worked fine without it and they only used the Crowbar, Pistol, Magnum, SMG and Grenades. I'm not saying remove it completly just make it the 3rd or 4th weapon we get.

The blue gravitygun is really fun though, especially in ep2.
I find the Blue Gravity Gun a repetitive yawn fest, 1 shot 1 kill and you don't even have to aim it very well. Also it wasn't in Ep2.

Blue Gg is fail. It was ok when we first had it, and it made sense to have it in the first episode, but...never again.

I find the Blue Gravity Gun a repetitive yawn fest, 1 shot 1 kill and you don't even have to aim it very well. Also it wasn't in Ep2.

You can lift up pretty much everything, from car wrecks to cargo containers. It's so awesome outside the citadel levels.

Its easy to enable it in ep2 :sleep:

The blue gravity gun was a BFG 9000. A gimmick. Deus Ex Manipulator. Such guns are nice for climactic battles against impossible odds, but we've really seen quite enough of it.

And yes, Minerva is a wonderful example of great gameplay without the Gravity Gun. Go play that, as it is a blast, and may give you the physics-less fix you want.

However, I can see how Gordon could lose the gravity gun:

The helicopter crashes somehow and a great many people moan about having to find our weapons again. As expected, Alyx lives and points out the Gravity Gun lying intact a few feet away. But then, when you go to get it, Chell comes out of nowhere and jacks it! Then you spend a portion of the game racing after Chell, as she sets up easy escapes with her portals and you have to blow things up with physics to follow her.
eh? eh? :naughty:

The gravity gun adds a ton to the game.. I love that the levels arent sterile like in other games, You actually have to bust through some debris to get where your going, Not only is this fun its more realistic.

If anything Id love to add on to its abilities in the world.. Id love to be able to impale zombies with the spikes or even shoot an axe into a combine soldier, not just hit it with blunt force.

Heck i even miss the pushable carts from the original HL2.. We havent seen them for a while.

The gravity gun is really handy, but I'd like the crowbar first, gravity gun second. I mostly use it on tough stuff, punting grenades away, getting supplies out of reach or in dangerous places (especially in Episode Two), and of course for shielding.

I use both the gravity gun and the crowbar all the time. I always use the crowbar for breaking crates that are next to me and as my main anti-headcrab weapon. I use the gravity gun to pull supplies from a distance, clear debrees and against zombies and hunters. There's no reason that they can't co-exist.

There's also no reason to get rid of the gravity gun. If you don't want to use it, don't. There are plently of other weapons and most sections of the games don't require you to use the gravity gun, except maybe in a few puzzles.

I agree with the OP. The Gg is fun and all but...time for new.

I am not good at picking up objects and hurling them at an enemy, so I use the gravity gun only to hold back antlions and headcrabs. Firearms are more appealing to me.

I sort of agree with the OP. It would be kind of fun and interesting to go through a bit of the game without the GG. "OMG I have to actually walk up to that crate to break it open?!"

And I still use the crowbar for breaking crates(except in difficult situations where I use the GG) and holding off headcrabs.

I am not good at picking up objects and hurling them at an enemy, so I use the gravity gun only to hold back antlions and headcrabs. Firearms are more appealing to me.

Same.

Don't worry if you hate the GG you'll only have to put up with it for one more short(ish) game, I on the other hand will sad to see it go... :(

Don't worry if you hate the GG you'll only have to put up with it for one more short(ish) game, I on the other hand will sad to see it go... :(

who says its being taken out in half-life (eh 3 or 4 or whatever im not sure)?

No one said they would take it out or leave it in, but we didnt get to keep any weapons from hl1 so, the GG might make a re-entrance in hl3 or something, u know like the tua cannon

I agree that g-gunless HL2 gameplay would be refreshing. Yes, it opens doors to new gameplay, but it closes doors on other types of gameplay, too.

Case in point: manhacks. Designed to be an actual threat against firearms and crowbar (as when you first encounter them), but easy with the g-gun. That's cool -- the fact that you're forced to face them both with and without the g-gun makes you appreciate its utility. It's pretty much the same pattern they did with the Striders and rocket launcher (using ammo constraints as a tool).

I could easily imagine going without the g-gun (or AR2) in Ep3 and encountering a couple Hunters. We think "No problem, we've killed plenty of hunters before," but now without the g-gun, the gameplay is different. We can't shield ourselves with radiators, we can't easily inflict the blunt damage we know is effective against them. All of a sudden an enemy we've gotten good at fighting is a much more formidable opponent.

As long as it makes for good gameplay, i wouldn't mind if we were armed with as little as a pie.

yea if you could go without it for the first quarter or third of ep3, I think that could be fun
playing hl2 again I remembered the sheer radness of how you get your first gun: some cops menacing civilians in a hallway, you only have a crowbar, and you just have to beat their faces in. This is Awesome.

if nothing else, they could at least mix up the order you get your weapons in

yea if you could go without it for the first quarter or third of ep3, I think that could be fun
playing hl2 again I remembered the sheer radness of how you get your first gun: some cops menacing civilians in a hallway, you only have a crowbar, and you just have to beat their faces in. This is Awesome.

if nothing else, they could at least mix up the order you get your weapons in

I am hoping we see a limited Combine presence here. IMO, while I love fighting combine, there isn't any real reason for them to know where the Borealis is. The whole mind-suck was lame.

Back