Please... No more Gravity Gun....

well whether the mind-suck is lame or not, there it is
and seeing as they are attacking mossman and her dudes, the combine are obviously there

However, I can see how Gordon could lose the gravity gun:

The helicopter crashes somehow and a great many people moan about having to find our weapons again. As expected, Alyx lives and points out the Gravity Gun lying intact a few feet away. But then, when you go to get it, Chell comes out of nowhere and jacks it! Then you spend a portion of the game racing after Chell, as she sets up easy escapes with her portals and you have to blow things up with physics to follow her.
eh? eh? :naughty:

That could be pretty fun, actually, not sure how it would resolve into the story, though.

Maybe they'll do it like this:

Lamar becomes drunk with power after discovering she can rain down superportal death from above by jumping on the switches in the satellite. One of these beams catches the Grav Gun and holds it floating in a stasis field. At this point, it becomes like a "choose your own adventure" thing. If you leave it you're just the same, only GG-less. If you take it, a rift is created in space-time, and you and Chell are forever fused, your only weapon choice the Portal gun in your left hand, GG in the right. You cannot "use" anything ever again. Strangely, you can still climb ladders.

I love the grav-gun, but some crowbar-centric fun would be nice.

A portable helicoptor-rotator thing like Grigori had all over Ravenholm.

I think it'd be interesting if the Gravity Gun got damaged (sort of the reverse of the blue gravity gun) and stopped working for a while, maybe only throwing things at the cup size and smaller.

In that situation, it wouldn't feel like "OMG THEY TOOK MY GRAVITY GUN!!11", it'd be an opportunity for the devs to change up the gameplay a little so you couldn't rely on your norrmal solutions to get through (Like the Hunter example posted before me). Then, I suppose it could be repaired later on (maybe by Mossman or something).

I missed the crowbar too. The gravity gun should be disabled for a while and let the real symbol of Gordon Freeman, the Crowbar, stand out.

Anyway, we shouldn't forget that there will be a crowbar duel between Gordon and G-man on a flying plane at the end of EP:3.

Damaged gravity gun sounds good. (I hope you can still paint things with it though)

Are you listening Valve? ;)

That could be pretty fun, actually, not sure how it would resolve into the story, though.

Maybe they'll do it like this:

Lamar becomes drunk with power after discovering she can rain down superportal death from above by jumping on the switches in the satellite. One of these beams catches the Grav Gun and holds it floating in a stasis field. At this point, it becomes like a "choose your own adventure" thing. If you leave it you're just the same, only GG-less. If you take it, a rift is created in space-time, and you and Chell are forever fused, your only weapon choice the Portal gun in your left hand, GG in the right. You cannot "use" anything ever again. Strangely, you can still climb ladders.
That last bit made me lol.

it was (and is) a revoloutionary weapon in gaming history, but it would be better if you had to go through like half of the game before getting the Grav Gun, like out of half-life2

I also like that damaged gravity gun idea. A little variety and some stressful situations that would require some creativity as you realise you can't resort to your old tricks would be cool.

i agree with the OP, its a great gun, but having it (or not having it in this case) makes for an entirely different playstyle for the time being, and thats usually a good thing. I will admit that if I dont get it at some point I will be pissed lol.

well u do have a point
during ep1 all i used was a gravity gun except the last level

At least for a good section of the game.

I found that having only the Gravity Gun at the start of Ep1 and Ep2 just got repetitive and I quickly lost interest in it.

I mean, yes it is a good weapon to have in your inventory, but I miss having the crowbar as your first weapon, and have to get up close and personal, and have to bear in mind you cant go charging into a battle, giving you the option to run.

I know that you cant just lose this gravity gun and break open a crate and find another, but if it was used by Alyx and then she gets lost, etc, it'd give you a good chance to remember just how usefull that crowbar was to you, aswell as a simple pistol.

Your opinions?

Yes and no. I think your idea of how to "lose it" is reasonable.

However, the Gravity Gun has revolutionised the gameplay of Half-Life and is definitely a necessity for many players. It can help the user solve puzzles in new ways...

But I'd say that I definitely miss the good old crowbar days...

Not certain on this subject.

It might be that in Episode Three you have no crowbar at all... as was hinted at by Barney.

There is no running out of new ways to use the Gravity Gun. Invaluable.

It'd be kind of neat to see Alyx or someone else use it as a weapon briefly. Chopper goes down, you get separated for a while, you hear battle sounds at the end of the hall, run into the room just in time to see Alyx flinging a barrel at a Combine. You help her finish them off, then she gives the gun back to you.

For me the crowbar doesn't feel as powerful as it did in HL1, it just feels kind of anemic. I also feel that the Grav Gun makes things too easy. Even with the most difficult enemy, the hunters, all you have to do is bounce a (convenient placed and oddly numerous) piece of fallen tree off of it, pick it up or catch it, and repeat until you win.

I still use the crowbar, I find. Using the gravity gun against crates makes me feel like I'm going to lose an item from them or something. And it's too powerful. I prefer a sturdy crowbar to do my breaking work.

I still use the crowbar, I find. Using the gravity gun against crates makes me feel like I'm going to lose an item from them or something. And it's too powerful. I prefer a sturdy crowbar to do my breaking work.

Yeah, I end up losing a few medkits and ammo packs.

i think what the crowbar needs to set it apart is to finally stop it from being little more a zero range pistol that never has to reload.

The swings should be more vicseral and powerful, and connecting should really feel meaty with the appropriate camera shakes and sound fx. But aside from that they should add new animations, like jabs, overheads, and double handed. And have the crowbar factor in to the gameplay. Like using to pry open doors, vents, or lids.

Furthermore, having enemy npc react properly to getting smacked by a foot and a half steel bar would be nice. Look at condemned criminal origins for example, enemies stagger dazed after a decent hit. Right now they just do a generic flinch if at all.

Since the grav gun and the crowbar essentially occupy a similar role in the game i.e. (weapons you use when you don't want to use ammo) and the crowbar is only ever useful when no phys props are around. Thats why they really need something to differentiate ye olde bar of crow.

I brake all of the crates with my crowbar, less noise, items stay right next to you, you have to hit the number 1 once as supposed to twice ;).

I dont think valve would even think about removing it or replacing it.

you have to hit the number 1 once as supposed to twice ;).

That doesn't work... you have to click to select it... you only have to press "g" to chose the Gravity Gun

To be honest if we started ep3:
1) with the gravity gun being 'given' to you as your only weapon
because 2) all of your weapons have mysteriously vanished, meaning you have to collect them in the 'worst to best' order

would really annoy me!

like someone else said, HOW much can the GG take?! the dial on it never seems to empty! well maybe it should! in fact, if you keep using it it has to recharge! so at least then you cant keep using it and using it, if you add in a sorta GG reload, then maybe it will seem less reliable. perhaps a damage to it could be the reason it now has to 'charge' after continual usage.

Assuming we're crashing the chopper in Episode 3...

...wake up on the ice and pick up the gravity gun. It plays that noise you hear when you first put on the suit (that song thing), but it's flickering and sparking. You have to pull a piece of metal trapping Alyx, who is hurt bad, off of her, and then it gives up the ghost.

I would be cool if during a boos battle, your HEV suit malfunctions. Epic challenge. :thumbs:

It plays that noise you hear when you first put on the suit (that song thing), but it's flickering and sparking. You have to pull a piece of metal trapping Alyx, who is hurt bad, off of her, and then it gives up the ghost.

Oh yeah... or the Advisors pop out and kidnap it at some crucial moment.

And the only way to get it back is follow them to the Overworld...

The grav gun leaves items in place when you destroy a box with contents. That is unless you accidentally press the primary trigger twice (which I sometimes do), if not they don't move more than a couple of inches.

Back