please read

hoboman

Reaction score
yesterday i told my brother about the 9800 pro and he said it was too expensive and the 9200 series will be okay to play half life 2 or other games i'd like to ask about ur opinion about this and i will be showing my brother this forum and how yall think

9800 PRO will work a lot better than a 9200. Also, could you link me to the PRO you want to get, and also tell me your computer specs. Thank you.

That is a very nice 9800 PRO. I think it would be better if you can get the money together for that one. You might want to upgrade your processor.

yea, cheap. but just scared of refurbished products(any opinions of them?)
i'ma save up for processor later it's the graphics that's important rite now heehe

im buying a refurbished product, im not scared at all though seeing how its really cheap

Your processor will affect the performance of that 9800 PRO. I think refurbished products are just as good as new products. They would not sell the used products if they were not stable. Plus, Newegg is a very reliable store. Their products are quality. Its an awesome buy. So go with it.

Shamrock said:
Your processor will affect the performance of that 9800 PRO. I think refurbished products are just as good as new products. They would not sell the used products if they were not stable. Plus, Newegg is a very reliable store. Their products are quality. Its an awesome buy. So go with it.

i second that

please explain shamrock, as i have heard this many times, also if you have read the benchmark the inquirer had earlier, they say the settings i have now came up with fairly good results, is that true?
here's the link, http://theinquirer.net/?article=19405
i'm really looking forward to the hl2 and cs:s i'm trying to get the best experience out of it :D

oh and btw, the 9800 pro i was buying has OEM and barebone on it, what does those mean?

All I am saying is that your processor is slower than normal, but it meets minimum specifications needed to run HL2. You will get decent performance, but the speed of your processor will affect the gameplay. But like I already said, it meets minimum specifications. So it should run, but to your liking? More than likely no.

Shamrock said:

refurbed are always a gamble. i know a guy who had a refurbed card break down on him from newegg.com within the first week he got it and have heard other minor issues from people who refurbed cards, like artifacting.

also if you have read the benchmark the inquirer had earlier, they say the settings i have now came up with fairly good results, is that true?

yes, these are good results and they are accurate if you are only going to play by yourself in a small cave with spinning blocks of shaders.

but its simply not accurate to how hl2 will perform.

poseyjmac said:
refurbed are always a gamble. i know a guy who had a refurbed card break down on him from newegg.com within the first week he got it and have heard other minor issues from people who refurbed cards, like artifacting.

did new egg replace it or is that not covered?

so what you tryna say posey? first i know refurbished stuff HAS to be a gamble, slim or fat chance, it all depends if you really get the luck i have nothing to say about that
second what the heck you mean by small cave?
also newegg has a 15 day refund or return(either one) policy, so it's not THAT big of a problem

9800 pro, a great card, it will last for many years also.

If you do get it, get the 256 bit version ! 256 bit, not MB, Bit !

word to my home slice adrien C YO!
haha yea 9800 is good, considering i WILL save up money for a new processor, it'll last for a while...gooooood while.....

oh and btw is there a program in the net that moniters the temperature of your video card?
if there is plz gimme link

hoboman said:
so what you tryna say posey? first i know refurbished stuff HAS to be a gamble, slim or fat chance, it all depends if you really get the luck i have nothing to say about that
second what the heck you mean by small cave?
also newegg has a 15 day refund or return(either one) policy, so it's not THAT big of a problem

heh. a small cave is where the VST takes place. and thats where the average framerate is gathered. so its not an accurate demo of what hl2 performance will be like, thats all.

like i said before, once you throw AI, physics and more models running around, those low-end systems are going to be hurting.

well that'll really suck because the poor people just plain-old won't get to play hl2 and css normally, like earlier how cs was such a worldwide game because of it's low requirements, etc
i really can't blame anyone, it just stinks how the younger children(w/o work) just has to live with what they have now, as one of these people, i try hard to save up my allowances, and it's pretty much the card i can afford, the 9800 pro

BLAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! (for no apparant reason i just felt like doing that :bounce: ) :E :E :E

Are you going to buy the 9800 PRO? Do not spam.

9800 pro is cheap and very effective. go out and buy it now!

Like bryan said, go buy it right now or there will be hell to pay.

hoboman said:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-268R&depa=0
this is the one i want to get, i'm still deciding on refurbished ones or unused ones
i have a amd athlon xp 1800+
512 mb of ram
gigabyte GA-7VAXP ultra mobo
80 gb of hard drive space( dunno company)

I have that same Motherboard. You know, it can take up to a 3000+ Barton. You just need to flash the BIOS to version F4.
BTW - you can find 2800/3000+ Barton pretty cheap nowadays.

hehe...sorry, yea i am gonna buy the 9800 pro......but the thing is that i don't have 160 now and i have to wait til the end of november til i can get it, i really hope they will have a fairly big sale to push down the prices, then it'll be easier for me to buy, i'd love to buy it now tho...

yea but the thing is i have a g2 mx400, i really really need a new card, i can work on the processor l8er

hoboman said:
ne one got ne good processors i can save up again for?
I think I might have one for you - IM me - HULKPOP @ AIM.

Back