Poor Laslo!!!

N

narc

Who was Laslo? Does anyone know? Also what does the other guy mean when he says 'i'll wait with him a while there's something i need to do' I got the impression they were gay? Also is it the same two people as the ones at the start just after you've climbed the ladder in the plaza who say 'don't worry the'll find a reason' or are valve being lazy and using the same civs over and over;-)

Also is it the same two people as the ones at the start just after you've climbed the ladder in the plaza who say 'don't worry the'll find a reason' or are valve being lazy and using the same civs over and over;-)

I don't know if those two precise citizens are the same, but Valve did reuse citizen models. It would impractical to create 100+ citizen models just so everyone has a completely different face... you can't expect a completely new face every time a resistance dies off in Follow Freeman.

That having been said they had to have used a shitload of citizen models, anyway... at least a dozen or so. I'm not too sure though... maybe some of the |337 resource file |-|4x03z can tell you. All I know is, there weren't of the same models for me to remember their faces, plus their faces were so detailed anyway that each one became a person and not just a another coterminus "Barney." If one of the source file |-|4x03z told me that ever citizen was different... I would have trouble believing it.

As for Laslo... I don't know. I know he's "One of the greatest minds of his generation" as well as the Host from Liberty City's Chatterbox network. I'd say we'll see him in a SP MOD sometime soon, or maybe even an Expansion pack, considering that his death seems to have more emphasis than your average citizen.

And he apparently used to host some stations down in San Andreas and Vice City...back in the 90s and 80s, respectively.

But yeah. There could've been some differentiation (there was like...1 standard black guy) but seriously, not every citizen can be different.

-Kato

narc said:
Also what does the other guy mean when he says 'i'll wait with him a while there's something i need to do' I got the impression they were gay?
Very strangely - I did too. :( But Sandy was probably referring to giving Laszlo a farewell, a proper burial, and maybe a ceremony as well - as he was the greatest mind of his generation.

But Sandy was probably referring to giving Laszlo a farewell, a proper burial...

There's a bright idea. You're best friend has just been skewered by several 3-foot tall bugs that pop out of the sand whenever so much as breathe on it... and you're going to dig a 6-foot hole in it.

I always got the impression that since there was no point in going forward, and the path back back was just as impassable, he was going to kill himself. That's just me though.

On a related note, if you let the bugs go at him, he will die. Found out after trying to go through the game with the 9mm, the RPG, and the gravity gun.

KidZero said:
I always got the impression that since there was no point in going forward, and the path back back was just as impassable, he was going to kill himself. That's just me though.

On a related note, if you let the bugs go at him, he will die. Found out after trying to go through the game with the 9mm, the RPG, and the gravity gun.

The gay idea occured to me, but I also thought that he was going to kill himself.

I doubt that those two are meant to be the same two at the beginning of the game, unless Laslo and his friend are meant to be amazingly fast long-distance runners. Nova Prospekt is a pretty long way.

Funny that people should mention the gay thing... it didn't strike me blatantly at the time, but it did seem that Laslo's friend shows more emotion over his death than any other NPC does over anyone else - did feel a little gay. Maybe we're all emotionally repressed.

And about the different faces - I'm on my 2nd go through the game and I paid more attention to the NPCs this time. I only noticed this time that you can make them natter to eachother by pressing E like in the beginning. missed it totally the first time through... But as a result I grew so attached to the pack of NPCs I first encountered at the beginning of Anticitizen One that I went through that entire section, up until Alyx gets captured, with practically the same set of NPCs, saving their hides along the way.

The mousey little medic woman, grim goateed guy in the bobble-hat, similarly bobblehatted mediterranean-looking woman, and black medic guy....once I'd heard them whistling I just couldn't let them die. Not even when the game spawned some Combine soldiers as I left my friends behind - I stacked some boxes to stand on so I could take out the troops for them before moving on. You're not meant to see the Combine warp in out of nowhere as they do at that point, so it spoilt the realism a bit, but that's the price you have to pay.....for friendship.

but that's the price you have to pay.....for friendship.

Uh-huh. Well, I guess when your only friends are conglomorations of heuristic algorithms, then maybe you would go out of your way to save them.

But seriously, I know how you feel. :D

Is Laslo gay? that's the stupidest thing ever it's just like asking which one of us in this thread is gay.

...and it's not me either..

I too had an attachment to the NPCs, I could not let them die, I would not let them die. But they stupidly remained behind and would not follow me through the gate Alyx opened, only two came with me or none at all. ;(

Pai-Mei said:
Uh-huh. Well, I guess when your only friends are conglomorations of heuristic algorithms, then maybe you would go out of your way to save them.

But seriously, I know how you feel. :D
Pai-Mei's sig said:
...or not.

Hehe ;)

Anyhow, yes, there's something about being attached to game characters that makes a game so much more enjoyable.

It thought he was just going to commit suicide myself, we'll probably see Lazlo in a past expansion, there's something about his character.

It was just a bit of realism to show off NPC's awsomeness
But it still was cool

Gotta hand it to VALVe, they said it was impossible, but they made us feel the same way about them citizens as we did about Barney, only this time they don't all look exactly the same.

Agent G-Man said:
I too had an attachment to the NPCs, I could not let them die, I would not let them die. But they stupidly remained behind and would not follow me through the gate Alyx opened, only two came with me or none at all. ;(

Heh, if I'm honest I only saved 3 out of 4. However the fourth guy's dead body got blown through the gate by a grenade so I count that as half a point.

It took many reloads and I'm not sure they were really meant to go through the gate, since they act a bit strange afterwards. 2 of them point their guns at the roof and stop talking to you completely (traumatised...), while one continues trying to follow you around and stays in your "squad following" gauge.

CrazyHarij said:
Hehe ;)

Anyhow, yes, there's something about being attached to game characters that makes a game so much more enjoyable.

I wouldn't mind 'attaching myself to Alyx. ;)

I actualy didn't feel for the citizens, but I did get the fealing of being on a mission.

I'd actually like them more if they didn't get in the way all the time.

I will actually like them more if they just stay where they are sent when i press "C" instead of following my arse all the time and get themselves killed!!! :(:(

Actually, i thought they were brothers... or family.

I don't believe Laslo is of any importance. I actually laughed when I heard the dialogue. It's just Valve making a little easter egg out of the fact that the survivor believes Laslo was humanity's only hope, he obviously has limited knowledge of Gordon.

First of all..you can SAVE laslo if you shoot the ant lions in time..I believe you also hear another piece of dialogue in that case.
EDIT: I'm not 100% sure about that ;)

Second of all..it's always been obvious to me that the guy means he's going to commit suicide when he said 'there's something I need to do'.

Xenome said:
Second of all..it's always been obvious to me that the guy means he's going to commit suicide when he said 'there's something I need to do'.

Yeah i thought that as well. That's i though they were gay.

Nah, its as clear as day when he says 'There's something I have to do' he means he is looking for a public restroom so he can take a dump.

I though he was going to give Laslo a proper sending off.

There is an antlion corpse there you can pick up with the grav gun, what's up with that?

That seems to be a bug that happens from time to time - u can pick up corpses occasionally with the grav gun. It must be a cross-over with the Super Grav Gun - which of course can pick up corpses all the time. Now and again, the lesser grav gun can as a result of a bug.

The space from the first patch of grass you step off (when he tells you not to take another step) isn't exactly far from the rock that guys on. I ran across loads of sand and when the Antlions spawned it was always late. It wasn't a straight up-from-the-sand-spawn as soon as I touched it. That guy could of easily jumped back across and headed back to the Lighthouse or whatever.

Laslo's death reminded me of that trigger-happy guy on Starship Troopers that runs ahead of the squad and starts firing in random directions. When he gets thrown to the other bugs it was like when all the Antlions came up and practicually surrounded Laslo. That should of had more gore.

Laivasse said:
Funny that people should mention the gay thing... it didn't strike me blatantly at the time, but it did seem that Laslo's friend shows more emotion over his death than any other NPC does over anyone else - did feel a little gay. Maybe we're all emotionally repressed.
I'd say that yes, you are all repressed. He's sad about his friend dying: GAY! Interesting logic. He's staying with the body: NECROPHILIAC! Of course.

Besides, I can't believe people are speculating over the sexuality of such a peripheral character and a corpse.

kirovman said:
Laslo had what was coming to him.
:LOL:

the whole laslo thing was to get you more into the game, it made you feel that you where actually living it

No, it was to warn you about the impending danger (dont touch the sand)

I nocliped there and laslo and the other guy were just standing around and then he walked onto the sand an boom antlion but i used the grenade launcher on the Mp7 and since u cant kill npc's it killed all the antlions and laslow was just a little bloody and they just looked at when i talked to laslow he was like "Hello, the vortigaunts are waiting..." and the other guy said "What?..."

I must be really insensitive

I didn't care about the npc's life span, I laughed if they had a funny death :D

Back