pop ups and hl2

Tyguy

Space Core
Reaction score
What pop up blocker do you guys use....im finding it a pain in the ass every time i play HL or another game it minimizes every minute...what are the better choices?

The best idea is just to format the pc, and start of with a clean start.

You've got spyware!

Running programs to controll the spyware is just going to slog your system down even worse. If going into Add/Remove Programs and taking out all the crap doesn't do it, then get rid of that crap by reinstalling your OS.

Reformatting inc.... starting you with a fresh drive guarenteed everyday! :)

use firefox, i have started using it thanks to the guys on this forum and its great! (click on a link with your middle mouse button to open it in a new tab! just found that out! :-D)

SixThree said:
Firefox - "In the fight against stupid users"

You could scan for spyware and try to remove it, but the most optimal solution would probably to install a slipstream copy of XP SP2 and make a fresh start.

Use Firefox and stop clickin on pron. Spyware will minimize.

Ring ring ring ring ring BANANA PHONE!

pretty easy. Just run adaware and spybot s+d. Make sure xp2 is installed and use its own popup blocker. If u'r offline when u play you can turn off u'r popup blocker and it won't interrupt

actually, ive found a program called hijack this to be the best anti apyware tool. The only problem is it dosnt scan for spyware, it scans for just about anything that runs by itself. So while incredibly effective, its also incredibly dangerous if you dont know what your doing.

Wraith said:
use firefox, i have started using it thanks to the guys on this forum and its great! (click on a link with your middle mouse button to open it in a new tab! just found that out! :-D)

Shift + left click does the same in ie

If you don't wanna go through the hassle of Firefox and don't wanna use the shitty one with XP - May I suggest Pop-up COP - I've been using it for 7 months now - and not one popup ;-)

Dave

DiSTuRbEd said:
The best idea is just to format the pc, and start of with a clean start.

That's what I would do

ratm9200 said:
actually, ive found a program called hijack this to be the best anti apyware tool. The only problem is it dosnt scan for spyware, it scans for just about anything that runs by itself. So while incredibly effective, its also incredibly dangerous if you dont know what your doing.

Acually Hijack this isint bether than Ad-Aware

:naughty: - :naughty: - :naughty: - :naughty: - :naughty: - :naughty: - :naughty: - :naughty: - :naughty: - :naughty:

Hijack this is used mostly to repel browser hijack attempts, and isn't really useful for combatting spyware in general.

if you really insist on using the crappy IE, use the google toolbar-it blocks pop-ups and it's my favorite pop-up blocker/search thing.

but firefox roxxorz, if you're still using IE you're not cool.

Firefox and Opera i currently use both.
They are THE best browsers out there.

Megalomaniac said:
Spy Bot S&D, Ad-Aware, And then get Firefox
This is the best advice given yet. I own a consulting business in my town, and I have to get rid of crap spyware programs on a variety of windows systems daily. I have found that the COMBINATION of Ad-aware and spybot are 100% effective (and since both are free, and do NOT run unless you open them, why not get them both).

Just make sure to use the update option in each one before you scan, and have ALL of your browsers closed before you do (this lets them clean your browser of hijakers, and those "helpful" search toolbars that you get when from some of these programs).

And PLEASE everyone, stop assuming that the only way to get this crap is to look at pr0n! I have cleaned systems from 90 year old grandmothers who are horrified by what gets into thier computer, and all they did was visit a webpage while running a search for something (clip-art in one case). Anyone can get this without a pop-up blocker, not just pr0n-o-philes.

Finally, Firefox or and some of the other alternative browsers can be very helpful in limiting this, since most of the tricks used to install this crap will not work on these browser (although some of them are finding ways around this).

Whether to re-install your OS or not is up to you. Most of the time, these programs can be cleaned effectively, but you may never be able to be sure you are 100% free of them without a reformat/re-install.

OK, dumb question, but in order to reformat, do I need a boot disk? I dont have one and I always end up giving my tower to those bastards at gateway for a bs price.....so anyone know what to do or know a place that would walk me through it???

Thanks

Tyguy said:
OK, dumb question, but in order to reformat, do I need a boot disk? I dont have one and I always end up giving my tower to those bastards at gateway for a bs price.....so anyone know what to do or know a place that would walk me through it???

Thanks

Tyguy, you will need EITHER a windows installation disk, or a system restore disk (which is what you get with mass produced systems like gateway, etc.).

To use either, you must go into your BIOS (usually done by pressing F2, or F1 or Del during the first 1-3 seconds after power on) and set your system to boot from CD. Then put in the CD, and follow the directions. Your system MAY be able to already boot from CD, and you can try just by putting the disk in the drive,and rebooting -- if it comes up with a screen for the OS/Restore installer, then you are good.

However.... Doing either of these will not only clean up your system, it will also wipe out ANY installed programs, lose any emails saved on your computer, any saved files, pictures, etc. so do NOT do this unless you have saved everything you want to somewhere other than your computer. A restore disk will leave SOME of your files intact, but all programs still will need to be re-installed.

Before you do either of these, you should also make a backup disk with current drivers for your hardware (got to the website and download the new ones, and burn em to CD). If you have a Gateway, then you should be able to get them off of gateway.com. This will let you re-install all of your hardware that is not autodetected by the Windows installer. I have seen many people neglect this part, only to scream in frustration as they realize that thier network card need a driver before it will work. but they cannot go download it because the network card is not installed yet!!

If you want, you can email me at [email protected], with your system specs, and what disks you do have, and I can give you some more specific directions, and possibly links to the drivers you will need.

The-One-Neo said:
Acually Hijack this isint bether than Ad-Aware

:naughty: - :naughty: - :naughty: - :naughty: - :naughty: - :naughty: - :naughty: - :naughty: - :naughty: - :naughty:
Programs to do it yourself are very powerful, since programs like Adaware and Spybot have trouble removing the more advances types of malware.

Let's take CoolWebSearch. It's hard to detect by Adaware/spybot and it doesn't get removed.

So hijackthis is an excellent program.

Yeah i, personally, use Spybot S+D and AVG and jv16 powertools.....

thanks for taking the time and helping me out guys....one more thing, if i do NOT have a boot disk and want to reformat, how do i get one? Contact gateway?

Spybot-Search & Destory pwns all spyware removal programs.

Actually the newest version of Ad-Aware seems to work well for me if I do a deep system scan... then I run spybot, but usually everything is clean by then.

That's on my crappy computer, this one is always spyware free. :)

Tyguy said:
thanks for taking the time and helping me out guys....one more thing, if i do NOT have a boot disk and want to reformat, how do i get one? Contact gateway?

I am not totally sure, but I believe that Gateway can ship you a replacement system restore disk if you call them. They will want to know the model number, etc, and you will probably have to pay for shipping, but it would be much cheaper than buying a new Windows disk ($100.00 to $200.00 US depending on what version you get).

If they will NOT give you a replacement disk (and I think they probably will), then you are pretty well stuck with fixing the spyware, or shell out a couple of hundred dollars. Hopefully it won't come to that tho. Good Luck.

best time to run "hijack this" or any other spyware/adware program is while in safe mode. this way you elminate the possiblity of damaging anything. adaware and spy bot search and destroy are both really good programs to use. ive never tried hijack this, so i cant say anything about how well it does its job.

Back