Popes comments spark angry protests

hari66

Reaction score
Something which could have been avoided....i think.

Though the Muslim community is rather too quick to take offence at each and every perceived slight, this time the comments made by the pope himself were un-warranted.It only adds to the belief already widely prevalent in the middle east and elsewhere that there is a crusade on against Muslims. Such statements play right into the hands of the terrorists.

And the explanation given...that the pope was just quoting a Byzantine king is just ridiculous. He should have known better. All this after the last pope..John Paul ..did a lot to bring Muslims and Christians closer.

Comments,anyone?

Like it or not, the Pope is a politician, and a politician should not say these things. This is only going to add more fuel to the fire.

If he was just some random individual I wouldnt have a problem with it, but for someone with that amount of influence, it was a very very bad move. He has a point though.

Political correctnesss is too much overrated.

The pope was wrong, indeed. But what I find most hilarious is that the Islamic community (I'm generalizing a bit here) denies this statement in a violent way :LOL: (Going from videos seen on TV / Interweb that shows people burning dolls of the pope)

It's a stupid thing to say. Yet theres a part of me thinking 'who cares, both religions are stupid'. Thats however supressed by the, this will just help the white racists ect get power amongst christians.

Stupid ass pope. According to the Vatican Ratzinger used a quote, meant to illustrate his point that using violence in the name of religion is bad. I would have used another quote if I were him. Any well thinking person would have known that this wouldn't go down well.

On the other hand I find it ironic that the reaction in the Muslim world seems to confirm the pope's quote. I read on the BBC News website that two churches on the Palestinian Westbank have been firebombed as a retaliation for the pope's remarks.

Religion and money are the roots of all evil.

pope palpatine needs to stfu lest he's cockslapped by the hypocracy/irony gods

I think it's funny how Muslims reacted to show them that they were not wicked or evil folk... by burning dolls of him.

Hmmm.

Lets remeber most Muslims did not run around burning pope dolls ok?

why dont angry muslims start using voodoo dolls, might actually work on Pope Palpatine. :p

On a serious note, wtf is there to get so pissed about. /ignore, thats what we learn on some random Ayatollah's "offensive" remarks, => no need to blow it out of proportion like this and parade it all over the news.
****ing Media, this does the situation no good other than further polarize the world.
Looks like the Media is generating a religious conflict where there isnt really one (yet).

alot of the muslim community where i live seems to be in denial that islam has anything to do with terrorism. frankly i think the muslim community takes their religion to seriosly, anything that casts bad light on their religion they go crazy but with other religions you dont get massive protests or anything crazy.

alot of the muslim community where i live seems to be in denial that islam has anything to do with terrorism. frankly i think the muslim community takes their religion to seriosly, anything that casts bad light on their religion they go crazy but with other religions you dont get massive protests or anything crazy.
Has the Muslim Council of Britian ever called christianity an evil religion? Or a similar body that represents millions of Muslims? No, it hasn't.

I imagine if the head of the majour UK Muslim religion said a similar thing BNP support would rise by about 400% and there'd be riots all over.

Has the Muslim Council of Britian ever called christianity an evil religion? Or a similar body that represents millions of Muslims? No, it hasn't.

I imagine if the head of the majour UK Muslim religion said a similar thing BNP support would rise by about 400% and there'd be riots all over.

There's no central authority in the Islam like the Catholic pope, so the comparison is invalid. But if you consider some high Islamic leaders (thinking of Iran here), they have said their fair share of nasty things about Christianity and especially Jews. Something about "Israel has to be wiped off the face of the earth". But of course, the Islam is innocent! Whatever..

And isn't it hilarious about how they go apeshit whenever someone says something bad about the Islam, but absolutely no strong response comes from the same people when someone blows himself up in name of the Islam? Some half-arsed condemnation sometimes, but more often than not, an approval even!

Even funnier how their response to the pope's allegation of "the Islam is violent" is to be.. VIOLENT. Have you read the number of violent threats after he said those things? If they could, the pope would be dead by now. How the hell is that NOT confirming the allegations?

They keep going on and on about how the Islam is a peaceful religion, but fail to act strongly against all the fundementalist fuckwads. If you're that peaceful, speak out against those that do try to spread Islam by the sword.

Retarded cultures, both of them.

lol, its fun to watch all the religios people get angry because of one old mans words. Its not like he is the pope or something...oh wait he is...

but still, i see him as a normal everyday man. Im just sitting back laughing at the religious people getting angry on such a silly thing, cant they just play some Tiberian Sun and have some fun?

did i say anything about christianity? for one think im atheist.
i also have no idea what bnp is, but dont tell me to imagine something happened show me something that actually happened
i also didnt even say anything about what the pope said all i did was critique muslim reactions to anything that offends them. and no i dont think what the pope said was any good

There's no central authority in the Islam like the Catholic pope, so the comparison is invalid. But if you consider some high Islamic leaders (thinking of Iran here), they have said their fair share of nasty things about Christianity and especially Jews. Something about "Israel has to be wiped off the face of the earth". But of course, the Islam is innocent! Whatever..

And isn't it hilarious about how they go apeshit whenever someone says something bad about the Islam, but absolutely no strong response comes from the same people when someone blows himself up in name of the Islam? Some half-arsed condemnation sometimes, but more often than not, an approval even!

Even funnier how their response to the pope's allegation of "the Islam is violent" is to be.. VIOLENT. Have you read the number of violent threats after he said those things? If they could, the pope would be dead by now. How the hell is that NOT confirming the allegations?

They keep going on and on about how the Islam is a peaceful religion, but fail to act strongly against all the fundementalist fuckwads. If you're that peaceful, speak out against those that do try to spread Islam by the sword.

Retarded cultures, both of them.
Few Muslims recognise the President of Iran as a religious leader...

The Pope said:
Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman

The pope is "very upset that some parts of his speech could have sounded offensive to the sensibility of the Muslim faithful and were interpreted in a way that does not correspond at all to his intentions,"

?

Few Muslims recognise the President of Iran as a religious leader...

I was talking about the ayatollahs. But the Somalian Muslim leader has instructed his followers to "find and kill" the pope.

But you claim the Islam is innocent in regard to hurtful comments towards other religions/ideals? Haha.

Muslims need to get that big stick out of their ass and stop caring so much about what others say about their "holy prophet" (pedophile). So what if we say bad things? We, as non-Muslims, are facing eternal damnation. Not them.

You can mock Jesus all you want, not many Christians will threaten to kill you or even give a shit.

Not to mention it's all ripped out of context, the pope isn't stupid enough to take a direct stab at Islam.

Benedict would totally pwn Mohammed with his force lightning anyway

Well if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black. The crusades anyone?

what if we say bad things? We, as non-Muslims, are facing eternal damnation. Not them.

That is very true...well mostly, but you've gotta think it's kinda like if someone were to make fun of your parents or loved ones. Even though it doesn't really affect you much it still pisses you off

alot of the muslim community where i live seems to be in denial that islam has anything to do with terrorism.
Because it doesn't? :p

Terrorists blow themselves up in the name of Allah and want to kill as many as possible in the meanwhile. Last time I checked, that wasn't in the Koran. They say they are Islamic, but does that make them Islamic?

If I were to go and shoot random people on sight while yelling "GOD IS YOUR SAVIOUR, REPENT", what would you think I am? A devout Christian or a crazy-ass, foaming-at-the-mouth ****nut that thinks he's doing the world a favour?

i also have no idea what bnp is
British Nationalist Party. It's an English cult that believes in the reincarnation of Adolf Hitler.

I think the way the Muslim states react to such minor comments toward or regarding Islam are absolutely disgusting. Any little peep said connecting Islam with terrorism, and they're out in the streets shouting like dirty animals and setting fire to flags and straw-filled dummies.

If every religion was this uncivilised, we'd be on world war 50,000 by now. Well, we'd have been extinct a few thousand years ago.

I'm not saying Islam is bad, I'm just saying religion is bad. Who needs it?

basicaly muslims need to stop protesting non-muslims for there views on islam and start protesting these terrorists who fight in the name of of allah which is the root cause of all the critisizms on their religion.

basicaly muslims need to stop protesting non-muslims for there views on islam and start protesting these terrorists who fight in the name of of allah which is the root cause of all the critisizms on their religion.

I think you've hit the nail right on the head there.

The Palestinians have begun destroying Churches and protesting, the Pakistanis have started protesting and burning effigies of the Pope, one Somali cleric wants him dead, the radical, terror supporting Wahabist group CAIR criticizes him, urging Americans to let them, of all people, teach us what Islam really is...

Why can't they see it like this: We, the non-Muslims, are kuffar. Why should they care what we think about al-Islam? They're going to kill us and rule the world anyway. At least that's what Sheikh Ibrahim Mudayris says. But then again, he's not the only one.

"I feel the hatred flowing through you! Strike me down with all your might!"

Like it or not, the Pope is a politician, and a politician should not say these things. This is only going to add more fuel to the fire.

If he was just some random individual I wouldnt have a problem with it, but for someone with that amount of influence, it was a very very bad move. He has a point though.

Whats happened of freedom of speach. We can say what we like about jewish people, christianity, so why is it we say something about Islam & all hell breaks loose?

Also why is the muslim community quick to react to a speach made by the pope, but they sit back and watch as terrorist groups use thei religion as a excuse for hatred?

Smooth talking “moderate” Muslims try to convince us non-believers that Islam is the religion of peace, a task made impossible by their co-religionists who have not heeded the peace message. In response to a quote made by Pope Benedict XVI in a speech on Tuesday Muslims have been busy burning effigies of the Pope and burning down churches, hardly the response of those who practice a religion of peace.

Two churches in the West Bank city of Nablus were attacked yesterday(15th) in fire-bombing incidents. One Anglican church was torched and an Orthodox church was also attacked. Elsewhere a youth centre run by the Greek Orthodox church in Gaza was slightly damaged by an explosion. Thousands of protestors took to the streets in Pakistan burning effigies of the Pontiff. A church in the southern Iraqi town of Basra was attacked overnight with axes and knives causing damage to the door.

The West is constantly asked to tolerate the presence of this pre-medieval desert faith but its practitioners have no understanding of tolerance themselves, no concept of free speech which allows comment and criticism of any faith, cult or political ideology, a concept which itself is in peril due to Marxist inspired political correctness and supine liberal appeasement to the fifth column of Muslims already here in the UK and in countries across western Europe.

However it should be noted that the Pope did not criticise Muslims himself, he merely quoted remarks by the 14th-century Byzantine emperor Manuel II Paleologus, who wrote that everything that Muhammad had promulgated was evil and inhuman, “such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached”.

I love it when people blurt "freedom of speech" in response to posts like Gick's.

I'd like you to consider something. Here are two seperate statements:
1. "Like it or not, the Pope is a politician, and a politician should not say these things."
2. "Like it or not, the Pope is a politician, and it should not be legal for a politician to say these things."

You see the difference? Only the second is not asking for free speech.

FREE SPEECH MEANS YOU CAN SAY WHATEVER THE **** YOU LIKE BUT IT ALSO MEANS I CAN SAY WHATEVER THE **** I LIKE ABOUT WHATEVER THE **** YOU SAID

I don't see why we even bother arguing about free speech here, because it should be ****ing presupposed, and the only time it's ever brought up is Person A getting antsy about Person B saying that Politician X should just shut up when making derogatory comments about whatever social group Person A does not like and feels deserve all the derogatory comments they get.

Of course you have a point that 'moderate' muslims need to put up or shut up, although we must remember that moderate by its very nature is out-shouted by the extreme.

But yeah. Organised religion violent and nasty? Colour me surprised.

PS: your last point is really stupid. Hay guys I'm like the Pope and everything and I'm going to make a speech. I'm going to end it with the following quote:

Adolf Hitler said:
… the personification of the devil as the symbol of all evil assumes the living shape of the Jew.
BUT IT'S OKAY GUYS I'M NOT CRITICISING JEWS MYSELF BUT MERELY QUOTING

Why do people use quotes? Either to respond to them, or to make a point.

Back