Portal 2 Released!

Dunno, you'd have to get a frame-by-frame. Geoff Keighley, for anyone who doesn't know, is a games journalist. He did "The Final Hours of Half-Life."

Also, re: the very final scene,

either Aperture Science is absolutely MASSIVE to allow Chell to have traveled all the way to an area with plains, or Valve still has no idea what Northeast Ohio looks like; the Enrichment Center parking lot had MOUNTAINS in the background in the first game, for heaven's sake! As a Clevelander myself, nothing would have made me happier than to see Chell emerge blinking into a cloudy, rainy day and then look around and find herself in the flats, with some seagulls staring at her. Oh well.

Whaaa? When is it ever mentioned Aperture Science is in

Cleveland, Ohio?

Nitpicking? Complaining? I was trying to see if anyone else had the issue, or if I should be checking something with my settings. But, y'know, nice job turning my question into an attack on the game.

Check your mat_picmip value in the console, Darkside. For some reason, that's been resetting to 1 for some users on map loads which is resulting in the blurry textures. If you're using "High" texture settings it should be setting to -1. Go ahead and change it manually to -1 and you should see a pretty big clarity difference. Not sure what the cause is (I'm not having the issue) as some people with the same GPU are getting the issue while others aren't (perhaps it's a driver problem?). Also, if you have to set it manually to -1, it will keep resetting itself to 1 on map load, so hopefully Valve gets that sorted out quickly.

EDIT: 2003 join date? Has it really been 8 years? holy crap.

Yeah, I read up on the problem the other night. Thanks Falcon. It's a noted problem on the Portal 2 Bugs thread on Steampowered, so hopefully Valve does get around to it. I'll probably shoot their bug team a mail just to add another name to the list of people the issue is affecting. And yeah, forum's been around since 2003. [GLaDOS] It's been a loooooooooong time. [/GLaDOS]

I miss my real 2003 join date. ;(

ZT, it's mentioned several times. We've actually known since Episode 2.

Borealis schematics. Also in Portal 2, check out the trophy case in the old waiting room.

Yeah, I read up on the problem the other night. Thanks Falcon. It's a noted problem on the Portal 2 Bugs thread on Steampowered, so hopefully Valve does get around to it. I'll probably shoot their bug team a mail just to add another name to the list of people the issue is affecting. And yeah, forum's been around since 2003. [GLaDOS] It's been a loooooooooong time. [/GLaDOS]

ZT, it's mentioned several times. We've actually known since Episode 2.

Borealis schematics. Also in Portal 2, check out the trophy case in the old waiting room.
Only the Borealis schematics (and maybe also the aperturescience.com website? - I don't remember) mentioned the location of
Cleveland, Ohio
which might mean it was a different facility. That article in Portal 2 says it's in
upper Michigan.

I don't think so,
clearly the Enrichment Centre is in that mine in its entirety, I only think that they may have had some other property in Ohio, like a shipyard, from where they perhaps conducted other ship-based experiments?

Guys,

Ohio and Michigan are connected to each other. The Aperture Science facility is HUGE.

If by Upper Michigan they mean the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, then geographically it's very far from Ohio, additionally separated by two lakes. That, I think, excludes the possibility of its being a single facility.

On a side note, has anyone taken notice of
the Super 8 interactive teaser
in the extras section?

On a side note, has anyone taken notice of
the Super 8 interactive teaser
in the extras section?

You do realize that isn't a spoiler, right?

I thought it was pretty awesome. Best interactive ad I've ever seen (since it's actually interactive).

If by Upper Michigan they mean the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, then geographically it's very far from Ohio, additionally separated by two lakes. That, I think, excludes the possibility of its being a single facility.
Do you really think Cave Johnson would let something like lakes stop him from building a facility big enough that it spans two states? This is a man who built a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN.

I would really like to view the "Final Hours of Portal 2" however it's only available for the iPad at this time. :(

199348-p1.jpg

I guess that pic will be used as some "can you tell us anything about episode3?" meme

You know what I kinda think as well:
Chell was repeatedly taunted by Glados about her adopted family. There was a section of a science fair with Aperture daughters who made reports about volcano's, etc. Was Chell one of these kids? More importantly is CJ, Chells adopted dad and is Caroline/Glados, Chells adopted mom? Maybe that part of Glados is erased about having an adopted daughter making her way less human. *Others are saying this as well:

CFE80CE44FA40A949E51A31E3F9C17F9827879AC

E730B06739DF7BBEB1E6DE465487D794851B2609
Thank you! I missed that painting when I played and I never noticed the "by Chell" on the giant potato. I'm surprised the giant potato didn't come back into the story at some point.

Thank you! I missed that painting when I played and I never noticed the "by Chell" on the giant potato. I'm surprised the giant potato didn't come back into the story at some point.

In a way it did - it's outright stated by wheatley (if you hang around) that that one potato is now the source for all other potatoes within the facility, and hence is the source of the one GLaDOS finds herself running on.

In a way it did - it's outright stated by wheatley (if you hang around) that that one potato is now the source for all other potatoes within the facility, and hence is the source of the one GLaDOS finds herself running on.
I guess that potato has Chell's never give up attitude.

Just finished all of the single player achievements! I'll probably only do the coop ones if I find someone else who wants them.

I finished up the co-op section with a friend today and I honestly think it's better than the SP or compliments it. Yes Glenn, the co-op is integral to the storyline of the game. However please don't open this spoiler to reveal spoilers about the ending of the co-op section and ending of Portal 2:
I was checking out flamehaus.com and they brought up a funny conclusion. Is the ARG before Portal 2 canon? Look at these pics part of the ARG:
http://valvearg.com/w/images/4/4e/57.jpg
http://valvearg.com/w/images/8/85/32.jpg
http://valvearg.com/w/images/3/39/59.png

Does this mean the field you saw in Portal 2 at the end is a giant farm inside Aperture? There was a random electrical shed in the middle of nowhere perhaps, but it would be more exciting if the ending is like "The Truman Show" when the sky is fake, etc.

Also the co-op ending blew my mind. Tons and tons of test subjects in stasis vats. It was creepy and they had no pupils (just model renders). I just hope they are HL3 civilian models. :naughty: However it strongly resembled the Combine yet again. Eli and anybody unlucky to hitch a ride on the Nova Prospekt Express train to be turned into a Stalker was put into some kind of stasis. Aperture had a whole bunch of people put in tubes but the Combine put people in metal cages.

Plus when we saw the first trailer for Portal, we knew something was going on with Aperture and the Combine (turrets, balls of energy, etc). This game though confirmed it IMO.

I have to admit when the coop ending first played I could have sworn I saw the name 'Corp. Shpd' on one of the tanks, I was so annoyed I had to rewatch it, luckily I was imagining things.

You had me scared there for a moment, Lobster. Something of that nature would have surely eliminated the functions and mechanisms of my brain almost instantaneously upon discovering it. Adrian Shephard is a great guy, don't get me wrong, but I just can't stomach another game in that series. Not until the release of Episode Three, at least. Well, even then, no... no, I just couldn't do it. It'd be weird.

I finished up the co-op section with a friend today and I honestly think it's better than the SP or compliments it. Yes Glenn, the co-op is integral to the storyline of the game. However please don't open this spoiler to reveal spoilers about the ending of the co-op section and ending of Portal 2:
I was checking out flamehaus.com and they brought up a funny conclusion. Is the ARG before Portal 2 canon? Look at these pics part of the ARG:
http://valvearg.com/w/images/4/4e/57.jpg
http://valvearg.com/w/images/8/85/32.jpg
http://valvearg.com/w/images/3/39/59.png

Does this mean the field you saw in Portal 2 at the end is a giant farm inside Aperture? There was a random electrical shed in the middle of nowhere perhaps, but it would be more exciting if the ending is like "The Truman Show" when the sky is fake, etc.

Also the co-op ending blew my mind. Tons and tons of test subjects in stasis vats. It was creepy and they had no pupils (just model renders). I just hope they are HL3 civilian models. :naughty: However it strongly resembled the Combine yet again. Eli and anybody unlucky to hitch a ride on the Nova Prospekt Express train to be turned into a Stalker was put into some kind of stasis. Aperture had a whole bunch of people put in tubes but the Combine put people in metal cages.

Plus when we saw the first trailer for Portal, we knew something was going on with Aperture and the Combine (turrets, balls of energy, etc). This game though confirmed it IMO.

The greatest minds of a generation working together with one unified, express purpose. And here it is. Did the entire game go over your head?

Back