Portal 2 Speculation?

Ok, maybe Portal: Opposing force.

You play as Sergeant W.C. Cube and get pushed around by a woman with weird looking high heels all the time. The game is about depressions and social isolation and should be considered a critical reaction to our modern artificial society. Also, you meet Nietzsche and Kant and have tea with them. In the end you get syphilis and die in a fire.

You sir, win the interwebs.

You are just jealous because you are uncreative and can't come up with anything to contribute to speculation.
You should probably just go eat poop.
Yeah, I said it, eat poop. How does it feel? Hurts doesn't it? Thought so, poop eater.

So I assume all the people who laugh at the idea of Portal 2 will be upset and cranky spanky if it is actually made?

And you, on the other hand, are incredibly afraid that It won't ever being made, mister.

Didn't glad0s say she was still alive? perhaps she will still be there :3

Didn't glad0s say she was still alive? perhaps she will still be there :3

I had assumed that was reverse psychology type of stuff, like when you piss someone off and they claim they're not mad.

Meh.

My speculation is that, if Portal 2 is made, Chell will be roaming around, hunted by Combine because of her local portal technology. I think she may then have to find another GLaDOS unit and accompanying facility;

GLaDOS said:
"All I know is that I'm the only thing standing between us and them. Well, I was. Unless you have a plan for building some supercomputer part in a big hurry, this place isn't going to be safe much longer. Good job on that, by the way."

Perhaps even find some military androids. It would include using Portals against moving enemies:

Imagine, if you will, an elevator shaft that has the bottom full of Zombies. Then picture one of those Combine force fields with some Combine behind it in a room nearby. Chell, not as apt with firearms like Dr Freeman, fires her Portal gun onto the ceiling of the room with the Combine in, and another hole in the floor of the room with the Zombies in it. The zombies begin piling into the room with the combine, and havoc ensues. :D

My speculation is that, if Portal 2 is made, Chell will be roaming around, hunted by Combine because of her local portal technology. I think she may then have to find another GLaDOS unit and accompanying facility;

Why would the combine currently care so much for local transportation. They have more pressing concerns to look to.

Once again, theres no direct confirmation of "portal two" :hmph:

What is this thread even about, I havnt heard any 'Portal 2' speculation except a funny screenshot someone made in Gmod, and why the heck would portal 2 be during the 7 hour war, Portal takes place during the canals in Hl2, unless aperture science also invented a TARDIS, I doubt we will be seeing the 7 hour war anytime soon, unless in a mod or flash back of a character in Episode 3

EDIT: The only other Portal game we may be seeing, is the Co-op version mentioned in commentary, but we wont be playing as chell again, just some more test subjects at aperture, with harder challenges. Next time we see chell will be in Episode 3 or HL3

Portal takes place during the canals in Hl2
uhhhhh, where on earth is your source for this? Haven't heard anyone say this, ever.

Imagine, if you will, an elevator shaft that has the bottom full of Zombies. Then picture one of those Combine force fields with some Combine behind it in a room nearby. Chell, not as apt with firearms like Dr Freeman, fires her Portal gun onto the ceiling of the room with the Combine in, and another hole in the floor of the room with the Zombies in it. The zombies begin piling into the room with the combine, and havoc ensues. :D

that's pretty clever, I like it.

Why would the combine currently care so much for local transportation. They have more pressing concerns to look to.
In Half-Life 2, it was pointed out that the one strategic advantage the resistance had was that the surviving Black Mesa scientists had just completed an in-world teleportation system, based on technology the Combine didn't have; later on, it's pointed out that with the dark energy reactor offline, the Combine's teleportation technology was disabled, forcing them to rely on convention means of transportation. In Episode 1, Dr. Kleiner's speech emphasizes that the scientists are rushing to deploy newly developed technogy that could give the resistance an advantage.

I thought that was pretty clearly a key plot element.

Once again, theres no direct confirmation of "portal two" :hmph:

What is this thread even about, I havnt heard any 'Portal 2' speculation except a funny screenshot someone made in Gmod, and why the heck would portal 2 be during the 7 hour war, Portal takes place during the canals in Hl2, unless aperture science also invented a TARDIS, I doubt we will be seeing the 7 hour war anytime soon, unless in a mod or flash back of a character in Episode 3

EDIT: The only other Portal game we may be seeing, is the Co-op version mentioned in commentary, but we wont be playing as chell again, just some more test subjects at aperture, with harder challenges. Next time we see chell will be in Episode 3 or HL3

I'm puzzled by the culture on this forum and over on the Valve forums, in which posters will question whether it's even justified to have a thread speculating about backstory or possible sequels. I've never seen a message board for fans of a computer game in which there wasn't discussion of possible expansions or sequels, whether or not there was any evidence that a sequel was under consideration.

Of course there's no direct confirmation of Portal 2. Portal just came out. They most likely wouldn't have even committed to making a sequel yet, and if they had, they wouldn't have officially announced it until, most likely, they'd started playtesting it.

However, Portal was an immediate, spectacular success. Just one indication: I was shopping online for a tee-shirt for a Christmas present, and found that the best-selling design on jinx.com featured a slice of cake with "The cake is a lie" repeated four times beneath it. My sense is that the impact of Portal, barely mentioned as part of the Orange Box, far exceeds that of Team Fortress 2 or HL2: Ep2, both of which Valve's been heavily promoting for over a year. They'd be foolish not to consider producing a sequel.

Furthermore, the developer commentary within Portal said that they considered this game only the beginning of a series, and in an interview with the developers, they said they hadn't decided what to do next, a map pack or a full sequel. So, Portal 2 is definitely a real possibility.

There might be direct confirmation of Portal 2, but there have been multiple interviews with memebers of the Portal team where they were asked what they plan to do after Portal. They basically said it depends upon what people say after they play Portal.

uhhhhh, where on earth is your source for this? Haven't heard anyone say this, ever.

Can't quite remember where I heard it, its just been stored on that little bit of grey matter in the back of my head...

In Half-Life 2, it was pointed out that the one strategic advantage the resistance had was that the surviving Black Mesa scientists had just completed an in-world teleportation system, based on technology the Combine didn't have; later on, it's pointed out that with the dark energy reactor offline, the Combine's teleportation technology was disabled, forcing them to rely on convention means of transportation. In Episode 1, Dr. Kleiner's speech emphasizes that the scientists are rushing to deploy newly developed technogy that could give the resistance an advantage.

I thought that was pretty clearly a key plot element.

The combine don't have even have world-to-world transport. They're in disarray and they can barely get themselves organised enough to get in the same place, let alone use site-to-site transport. It wouldn't give them much of an advantage. Besides, that whole plot was already used in HL2. Why the hell would they reuse it?

The combine have been relying on local transportation since the beginning, not just because the Dark Energy reactor was offline.

And that "new technology" sounds to me like the rocket. The combine having no more reinforcements is a pretty big advantage.

why is everything speculation here?

whats going to happen in ep3? what about portal2? maybe HL6? where was Gordon born? how many fingers am i holding up? whats the deal?

There is no HL6 :cry:

The combine don't have even have world-to-world transport. They're in disarray and they can barely get themselves organised enough to get in the same place, let alone use site-to-site transport. It wouldn't give them much of an advantage. Besides, that whole plot was already used in HL2. Why the hell would they reuse it?

The combine have been relying on local transportation since the beginning, not just because the Dark Energy reactor was offline.

And that "new technology" sounds to me like the rocket. The combine having no more reinforcements is a pretty big advantage.
I was talking about the overall plot of the Half-Life 2 series, including the episodes. It's supposed to be one continuous narrative, occuring over a short period of time. The Combine lack world-to-world transport for the moment.

Teleportation technology for travelling between worlds is a key plot element in the entire Half-Life saga. They would "reuse" it the way The Empire Strikes Back "reused" the Force from A New Hope.

I was talking about the overall plot of the Half-Life 2 series, including the episodes. It's supposed to be one continuous narrative, occuring over a short period of time. The Combine lack world-to-world transport for the moment.

Teleportation technology for travelling between worlds is a key plot element in the entire Half-Life saga. They would "reuse" it the way The Empire Strikes Back "reused" the Force from A New Hope.

They got the technology! Back in HL2. That part of the story was accomplished. It'd be like going to get the data from the Death Star... twice!

They got the technology! Back in HL2.
No, the Combine did *not* get the teleportation technology that the scientists from Black Mesa were working on. Judith was holding back the information, and Kleiner and Vance escaped the Combine troops sent to capture them.

If we had some sort of Portal multiplayer, it could be some sort of the Gmod, uh, mod Zombie Survival. But Portalers VS....mabye Axe Muderers? Both have to kill each other. AMs by axe and Poralers by, mabye puting a Portal up high, then one under a AM. It would be pretty hard to pull off though.

No, the Combine did *not* get the teleportation technology that the scientists from Black Mesa were working on. Judith was holding back the information, and Kleiner and Vance escaped the Combine troops sent to capture them.

I rather suspect Nova Prospekt exploding hampered the adoption of site to site teleportation somewhat.

Yes they *did*. Do you not remember Nova Prospekt?

The teleporter works. I'm pretty sure they had a computerized backup. I'm certian that's what the transmission was, blueprints etc.

They have the technology. But they can't use it. No citadel, no power to do it by.

True. But there is no proof that they have it.

True. But there is no proof that they have it.

If it was destroyed in Nova Prospekt and they didn't have any data spare, Judith'd just write up some more for Breen.

We already knew that the data packet contained information to open the portal.
But Judith might've wanted it so bad because she knew it'd have the information for the teleportation.

If it was destroyed in Nova Prospekt and they didn't have any data spare, Judith'd just write up some more for Breen.

We already knew that the data packet contained information to open the portal.
But Judith might've wanted it so bad because she knew it'd have the information for the teleportation.
There's no guarantee that it was sent with the data packet. If it wasn't, then the Combine probably don't have any other copy of the tech lying around.

Portal 2 remake

Making a portal 2 would be cool, but that depends if anybody liked the game.

Back