Portal Bonus Challenges

B

BridgeH2O

Every time I play and complete a Bonus Challenge, whether it is Time/Step/Portal it says "CHEATED!" in big red letters and does not give me any credit.

Any ideas why it is saying I cheated?

Actually, if you used any kind of console cheat (ie: god, buddha, impulse, etc.), it will say cheated when you complete the challenge and does not give you any credit. If you never cheated, well, it could be a bug...

Actually, if you used any kind of console cheat (ie: god, buddha, impulse, etc.), it will say cheated when you complete the challenge and does not give you any credit. If you never cheated, well, it could be a bug...

I've never even used a console cheat before, but it still says I cheated. I'm confused...

Do you have the Developer Commentary on? I heard that caused this.

Do you have the Developer Commentary on? I heard that caused this.

I thought that was the problem at first, but when I shut the commentary off, the problem still persisted and said I was cheating.

I'm re-installing the game now, I'll post if the problem is fixed.

When you stop the commentary just restart the game that will fix the problem there was no need to reinstall.

It's too late- though it should be fixed- if not, just do "sv_cheats 0" in console :)

Yeah you turned cheats on but forgot to disable them afterward.

So I ended up reinstalling the game and it still says I cheated when I complete a bonus challenge >.<

I typed "sv_cheats 0" in the cosole, but still says I cheated.

It does say commentary mode is currently: ON. How do I shut it off?

So I ended up reinstalling the game and it still says I cheated when I complete a bonus challenge >.<

I typed "sv_cheats 0" in the cosole, but still says I cheated.

It does say commentary mode is currently: ON. How do I shut it off?

Or in the settings.

OK typed "commentary 0" in console and "sv_cheats" and it still says I cheated when I complete a bonus challenge..this is really starting to make me frustrated..:flame:

but seriously though, there must be a way I can reset everything putting everything back to normal...usually reinstalling the entire game does the trick but for some reason not with Portal?

Has anyone figured out a way to fix this "cheated" problem during the bonus challenges?

After watching some Portal videos on youtube, made me realize how much I want to play the bonus levels. If only the game didn't say I'm cheating when I'm clearly not.

After listening to what people have been saying, I realize the problem is the game can't differentiate the difference between code that is for Cheat Mode and code that is for the commentary. I tried typing the correct commands in the ~ Window but it doesn't give me any kind of confirmation that the commentary/cheats were turned off and the problem continues to persist. I uninstalled Portal completely and reinstalled it in hopes that everything would just reset to normal, but to no avail. I hope this isn't too much to ask, but if someone knows how to fix this problem, could you take screen shots of the steps?

The frustration I'm enduring has no bound. Help!

This is what it says when I bring up the console, does everything look right here?

CHEATED-1.jpg

When you reinstalled Portal, I bet you used Steams, "delete local content" and then re-downloaded it, which won't work.
If you want to reset your settings the easiest way is to navigate to your steam folder then
\Steam\steamapps\<your_user_name>\portal\portal\
and delete the folder "cfg" that is there. Hope that works.

Buy a new computer and a new copy of Portal on a new Steam account. I guarantee you it'll fix the problem.

sv_cheats 0, save game, restart map should work.

When you reinstalled Portal, I bet you used Steams, "delete local content" and then re-downloaded it, which won't work.
If you want to reset your settings the easiest way is to navigate to your steam folder then
\Steam\steamapps\<your_user_name>\portal\portal\
and delete the folder "cfg" that is there. Hope that works.

I did exactly what you said and the problem has been fixed!

Thank you!!

New Game, have it load the first map, then load up the challenge map. That should do it.

Back