Portal happened right around when HL2 begins [SPOILERS]

The lights flicker and there are some sparks, but I've never actualy caught where the sparks eminate from. I've assumed it's the camera as that's the most physical manifestation of GLaD 'til the end.

Just a thought,

Regarding the "Bring your daughter to work day" quotes

Doesn't it make since to consider that Chell has a daughter rather than is a daughter? And no, I don't mean Alyx :p. I mean if Chell is a daughter of a AS employee, then it makes no sense for GLaDOS to say what she does.

Having said that, there's no sense in saying it anyway. You're obviously a prisoner of sorts, your not going home, your definitely not coming back, which makes the meaning of the advertisement flawed from the beginning. It occurs to me that the message is probably just a leftover in the announcement system that GLaDOS is "required" to say from time to time. According to the website "Bring your daughter to work day" has happened at least once, but may have been a bi-monthly event, or scheduled in for the same time every year.

Much like our heart beat is beyond our control, I think the DOS part GLaDOS still responds to certain commands and triggers that are beyond her control. All of the triggered speech files that don't seem to make much sense "Your doing very well, Well done android..., Did you know... etc" are probably a result of this system.

On the other hand, GLaDOS could just be a totally insane robot with a few too many loose wires and corrupted files and has totally no idea what's going on. Have you ever tried to read those screens scatted around the facility?

In either case, we can't take everything GLaDOS says too seriously, she's proven several times to be an unreliable source of information. We can't really draw logical conclusions from her illogical statements.

Story wise, Valve may have just dropped that in there for people who didn't read the website, maybe they plan on using it sometime in the future. Also, it was just so damned funny.

Tweek said:
I mean if Chell is a daughter of a AS employee, then it makes no sense for GLaDOS to say what she does.
Sure it does. At the end, one of the things she say:
GlaDOS said:
You're not a hero. You're not a [something I don't remember]. You're not even a full-time employee.

I think it's "You're not a scientist". Probably a nod at Gordon Freeman.

I don't think she was even in stasis - I think Chell has been sitting in that tiny little room since she was a little girl, watching that clock tick down until experiment-time. Pretty horrific, don't you think?

Back