Portal is Free

88 FPS is considered bad? Isn't that well beyond the threshold for not being able to notice the framerate any more?

Well, it's much worse on the macbook, and don't forget the minimum is usually much lower. Portal isn't exactly one of the most hardware-hungry Source games.

macs doesn't deserve any valve game.

I got Portal last week as the free version. I'll probably end up buying it and ditching the free version if that's possible. I see they're using this to maybe try out different ways of distributing content.

While I do have game files on my computer (free Portal is the only Steam game I have installed at the moment) it's constantly redownloading Portal (not updating), synchronizing, and verifying game files anytime I load or close the game. None of which I notice with games I've actually bought. Any of those things can take anywhere from several seconds to 10+mins to finish. Which I just waited 15 mins for it to download Portal, even though I've played it a couple times already.

There's no difference between free version and paid for version. You have the full game. The synchronizing thing is Steam automatically uploading and downloading your save files to the Steam servers. That way if you loose your data or change to a new PC you get to keep all your old savegames and progress. The re-downloading/updating for 10 minutes could be a bug (unless you've just got a slow connection and the save files take a while to upload).

I gotta ask, IF I remove this free Portal from my hard drive complete with GCFs, will I be able to re-download after the deadline (May 24th)? Does the game stay on my account after I remove it or do I have to make a DVD with the GCFs?

LOL newbie, of course you can redownload Portal from Steam.

You own the game. GCFs have nothing to do with ownership.

A mate just got his free copy and he thought it was awesome, but heres the thing; he's never played a game in the HL universe, so he's interested in buying the HL games.

Back