Possibilities of HDR in hl2. Demonstration!

aeroripper

Tank
Reaction score
Download this awesome (very nice) program of HDR... absolutely stunning

This is one of the most complex ones i've seen, you can switch through models and many areas and materials... very pretty!

http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/

I think if used properly in some areas (maybe all, it depends i guess on the level) it would make it very pretty, at least more than it already is.

I know the HDR threads have been done to death i just had to share it with you guys.

Also read the "Beginners to Source" article on hlfallout, it talks about HDR and also the link to the program.

I guess they may not be putting to high a priority on it just because only high end cards can do it well, which also makes up a small percentage of people playing the game, at least according to their hardware survey.

What do you guys think?

NOTE: You will need a dx9.0 card and PS 2.0 to run this!

I know I just downloaded that one yesterday. My favorite one is the skull. I can get above 60 fps with 8x atilaising, after than the fps go down dramatically, but even so, just having fun with the materials is amazing.

Although you won't see any of it in Half Life 2 I guess, it is way to shiny, plus this demo alone takes one hell out of your computer.

I dunno, i think if it was applied in certain areas, like maybe a huge church or something with stainglass windows... that would be a very nice spot for it :-D

The entire game with it though would be kind of overkill just because i think it would kill the rest of the graphics in the area... but good for a area where you are just overwhelmed with light :-D

That's pretty neat! :D

Gives me a better idea of what it really does than ATI's did...

Yeah, but I really don't want Gordon to be in a church, I want gritty concrete environments, but if they had chosen to put him into the Xen world again (which they didn't), those effets could have been killer.

This proggy has been posted several times. Oh well....its still pretty cool.

Well he is with a monk, Father Gregor(sp?), so there is a chance he'll be in a church. Plus FF7 did the church in the gritty environment and it turned out well.

Here are a few images for those of you that don't have a dx9.0 card... although to really get a grasp of how cool it is you'd hafta see it in real time :cheese:

Awesome demonstration program.

Attachments

• HDR1.jpg
    HDR1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 523
  • HDR2.jpg
    HDR2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 486
  • HDR3.jpg
    HDR3.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 442
I was going to ask this on another post with this HDR program, but this thread seems more fitting. I want to know what you fellow Half-Life fans are getting fps wise on this program. I just want to compare mine to everyone elses. It would be nice if the specs of your computer were also included (ram/cpu/vid card). Thanks

I think for the "zen parts coming to earth" you could really use it to effect the lighting of it... since its still all strange and stuff

all kinds of neat effects you could do with it :-D

Or maybe, if there are any new "portals" in Hl2 you could make them with a HDR bloom effect to make them really bright and cool looking, or the re-introduction of a gargantuan or something in the sunlight......

I'm running a AMD 2400+@2ghz with a gig of DDR 333mhz RAM and Radeon 9800 Pro 128 (Excalibur ICEQ)

I average around 20fps+ depending on the model, or multisampling... highest multisampling gets pretty slow

I still think that we won't see a lot, or any of it in HL2... We might hafta wait for Unreal 3 in two years before we'll see it a lot and dx9.0 hardware is standardized :(

well there was that HDR Bink a while back...that was running in Source, and had HDR on everything. it was positively stunning.

True... but i wasn't sure if they were just showing that Source is "compatible" with HDR, which it is, or that HL2 will feature, and use HDR in the game.

I believe i heard somewhere they don't have it in but may add it later in a patch (which i doubt :-D )

I've been surprised at the lack of bloom effects seen in the Half-Life 2 movies. The only one that is noticable to me is the HDR Bink.

Remember my post on "HL2 with PS2.0"? Here's another version!

Download this awesome (very nice) program of HDR... absolutely stunning

HDR is actually the tip of the iceberg with this demo. Like someone else said in another thread, the higher precision an HDR buffer provides is nicer looking effects.

NOTE: You will need a dx9.0 card and PS 2.0 to run this!
Actually, if you have the DirectX reference drivers on your system (c/o the DXSDK) you can run it.

At 0.20 fps on lowest settings and 0.02 on highest...

I can get above 60 fps with 8x atilaising,
If you're referring to 8x multisampling, that's NOT antialiasing, that's REALISTIC motion blur in action. If you really want to see the motion blur in action, load in the spheres model/animation. It'll blow your brains out.

I want to know what you fellow Half-Life fans are getting fps wise on this program. I just want to compare mine to everyone elses. It would be nice if the specs of your computer were also included (ram/cpu/vid card). Thanks
For this program, it's basically 100% video card due to the heavy usage of shaders and such.
Anyways, I've seen benches showing a 9600XT getting 15-20fps, 9700 getting around 25fps, FX 6800U getting 60 and the X800Xt getting 120 fps, all with default settings (some depth of field blur, some motion blur...)

I still think that we won't see a lot, or any of it in HL2... We might hafta wait for Unreal 3 in two years before we'll see it a lot and dx9.0 hardware is standardized
Actually, someone mentioned awhile back that because of a certain aspect of Source that allows for seperate components to be updated, such as improved physics or graphics, Valve could make a patch with some of these high-end features and make them optional for people with godly cards (read: X800XT).

well there was that HDR Bink a while back...that was running in Source, and had HDR on everything. it was positively stunning.
Then you haven't seen rthdribl. Some of the effects like depth of field blur, the greatly accentuated blooms, realistic motion blur are mind-popping when you see them in real time. No game on (or soon on) the market has got S*** on rthdribl.

where can i get this bink?
www.fileplanet.com

I've been surprised at the lack of bloom effects seen in the Half-Life 2 movies.
That's because Gordon hasn't been staring into the sun too much ;) The blooms in HL2 come from extremely bright lights in low exposure areas, and the best non-HDR demo example I've seen is the flourescents when that one unknown (to some...hehehe) Combine soldier leads you down the hall in the first 'chapter' of the E32004 video.

Gives me a better idea of what it really does than ATI's did...
How many times has it been said on this board that HDR doesn't instantly result in motion blur/light blooms/neato reflections, etc.? HDR just makes these pixel shader effects look REALLY nice compared to when they don't use HDR.

1024*768, 8xAA, bump mapping, glare, full-screen, marble, skull

= indistinguishable from real life... such quality..

Um, Crusader? There isn't bump mapping in that demo...

Oh, and did you have depth of field and motion blur on? Those make the biggest difference imo.

1024 by 768, 4 AA, 16 AF, 4 X multisample I get 39 frames per second.

Athlon XP 2800+
1 GB RAM
X800 Pro

It looks amazing. If computer games look like this demo in a couple of years, I will have to quit my job, buy a computer and just play computer games all day long.

hahahhaahahhaha, my 5200 actualy ran that thing!!!!

at a whole 2-4fps a second and at a resolution set to 640x480.....i own

To clarify:

Some people seem to think that HDR is an effect that just gets applied in specific places. HDR is not an effect that just gets applied in specific places. It's all or nothing; it's everywhere or nowhere. HDR rendering requires a specialized .dll renderer file and usually entails tweaking global lighting values to achieve the proper effect.

What the smeg is rthdribl? And how is it pronounced?

Or are you taking the piss, Cypher19? :E

hey guys,

i get on average 30-32 fps on the Sphere demo, at 800x600, 8x Multisampling.
My Specs are: Athlon XP2500+, Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 256mb @ 577mhz, 512mb PC3200.

I was quite impressed with that, although my card was pretty hot during it all. dunno how useful that will be to you cos its overclocked, but hey - c'est la vie.

-Jimbo

I posted the quote from Rick about HDR in the other HDR thread, go read it because I forgot what it said :D

As for the proggy, here's my results:

I get around 17fps on my Radeon 9800 Pro with 4x multisampling, fullscreen, 1024x768. Amazing. It looks so...so...AWESOME.

Cypher19 said:
For this program, it's basically 100% video card due to the heavy usage of shaders and such.
Anyways, I've seen benches showing a 9600XT getting 15-20fps, 9700 getting around 25fps, FX 6800U getting 60 and the X800Xt getting 120 fps, all with default settings (some depth of field blur, some motion blur...)

Oh shit....can you post a screenshot of that ?
the nVidia GeForce 6800U ( no FX ;) )and ATI Radeon X800XT are allmost equal when it comes to performance...the X800XT is slightly better; so a difference of 60fps ??? no way...I could be wrong though so plz prove it....

Man, I am amazed of the capabilities of my P4 1.6 and GeForce FX 5700's capabilities once I downloaded that demo. Looks stunning even with full AA and 1024x768 res.

Lone_Bullet said:
Oh shit....can you post a screenshot of that ?
the nVidia GeForce 6800U ( no FX ;) )and ATI Radeon X800XT are allmost equal when it comes to performance...the X800XT is slightly better; so a difference of 60fps ??? no way...I could be wrong though so plz prove it....

Ati allmost always does well when something is a new technology, the 6800U will probably perform better in games.

MagnumPI said:
hey guys,

i get on average 30-32 fps on the Sphere demo, at 800x600, 8x Multisampling.
My Specs are: Athlon XP2500+, Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 256mb @ 577mhz, 512mb PC3200.

I was quite impressed with that, although my card was pretty hot during it all. dunno how useful that will be to you cos its overclocked, but hey - c'est la vie.

-Jimbo

I'm on my brother's computer, I'm getting around 28-30 FPS @ 1024 x 768 with almost similar specs. However at 4x multisampling

Specs:
P4 3.0 GHz
Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 256mb
768 mb ram

If they could control the amount of "bloom" or whatever effect it is in the sky, i think it would be very cool, just use it a little to add a little bit of glow to the sky without blocking out details such as the awesome skybox (clouds, etc...)

lans said:
I'm on my brother's computer, I'm getting around 28-30 FPS @ 1024 x 768 with almost similar specs. However at 4x multisampling

Specs:
P4 3.0 GHz
Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 256mb
768 mb ram

wow your increases specs make a world of difference! i jacked mine up to those settings (1024x768, 4x Multisampling) and took a FPS hit of 10-13 frames! if i put it up more the FPS made me want to cry, so i stopped lol

-Jimbo

ok i made this real quick, this is hdri, whats the difference between this hdr and the one in a video game, are they the same ?

I really don't think we are gonna see extensive use of PS 2.0 AND HDR for quite some time like in this demo...

It would be very cool if they could apply PS 2.0 to all the wood in the game, all the metal, objects.. etc etc

It would just run to slow on today's computers... in another year or two on the other hand......

MagnumPI said:
wow your increases specs make a world of difference! i jacked mine up to those settings (1024x768, 4x Multisampling) and took a FPS hit of 10-13 frames! if i put it up more the FPS made me want to cry, so i stopped lol

-Jimbo

How much did you overclock your 9600XT? maybe I can help? :)

well, I got around 24 -29 with the sphere @ 1024x768

the skull made it go down to ack...19 - 24 :p @ about 1024x768

ok, My clock speed is increased to 577mhz, and my memory bus is increased to 344mhz. its stable and everything, and just gives me a little performance upgrade - i noticed those figures on some Overclockers Cafe website or something and it seems to be fine so i kept the setting lol. I just think my processor and Memory is just too girly to keep up with these fancy effects like HDR lol

-Jim

MagnumPI said:
ok, My clock speed is increased to 577mhz, and my memory bus is increased to 344mhz. its stable and everything, and just gives me a little performance upgrade - i noticed those figures on some Overclockers Cafe website or something and it seems to be fine so i kept the setting lol. I just think my processor and Memory is just too girly to keep up with these fancy effects like HDR lol

-Jim

I've overclocked my bro's card almost the same.

580mhz clock speed, memory bus @ 342 mhz - beyond that is unsafe so let's not talk about that :p

Well, seems the extra chunk of ram has helped a bit.:)

yeah i think ill grab another 512 stick and pop that in, should give me a break from some of the frustrations that come with the now bog-standard 512. also, been thinkin of overclocking my Athlon Xp2500+ to a 3200+ but knowing me ill just set the computer on fire as Half Life 2 is released, then ill have to drink some bleach to put me out of my misery. keep an eye on the Obituaries for 'MagnumPI, Forever known as the fool who set his computer on fire the day Half Life 2 was released, may god rest his soul'

-Jim

Back