Possibilities of HDR in hl2. Demonstration!

MagnumPI said:
yeah i think ill grab another 512 stick and pop that in, should give me a break from some of the frustrations that come with the now bog-standard 512. also, been thinkin of overclocking my Athlon Xp2500+ to a 3200+ but knowing me ill just set the computer on fire as Half Life 2 is released, then ill have to drink some bleach to put me out of my misery. keep an eye on the Obituaries for 'MagnumPI, Forever known as the fool who set his computer on fire the day Half Life 2 was released, may god rest his soul'

-Jim

Another thing you can do is buy an arctic cooler or something then get the core clock at about 600mhz and memory bus to 345mhz - that's what my bro seems to have done, the ones I said before were done by me a long time back. He's upped it a bit, and it gives FPSs comparable to my 9800 pro.

anyone got any direct experience of the x800 running this, comparing it with a rig with the 6800 would be nice.

What would be betterwould be for some kind of in game benchmark before i go buy my comp's bits and pieces.

What the smeg is rthdribl? And how is it pronounced?
rthdribl is an acronym:

Real Time High Dynamic Range Image Based Lighting.
I call it "right hand dribble" :p

Oh shit....can you post a screenshot of that ?
Some cards: http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q2/geforce-6800ultra/index.x?pg=27
Oh, turns out I got the 9800 number wrong...
X800: http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q2/radeon-x800/index.x?pg=27

If they could control the amount of "bloom" or whatever effect it is in the sky, i think it would be very cool, just use it a little to add a little bit of glow to the sky without blocking out details such as the awesome skybox (clouds, etc...)
Turn off auto exposure and control the exposure yourself. Lowering it will make the image darker and reduce the amount of bloom. Increase it and you will be figuratively blinded.

Turn off auto exposure and control the exposure yourself. Lowering it will make the image darker and reduce the amount of bloom. Increase it and you will be figuratively blinded.

i meant in Hl-2... but i don't think you can just have it in some places and not others... somebody mentioned that in here somewhere

It's like having a life and an outside image of the world, only not.

My Results with my Radeon 9800 Pro:

640x480 4x Multisample = 39/40 fps
800x600 4x Multisample = 26/27 fps
1024x768 4x Multisample = 16/17 fps

All I changed was the resolution after loading up the program. Are these results good or bad? :|

On standard settings I get:

640x480@ 38-40 fps
800x600@ 27-28 fps
1024x768@17 fps

All settings maxed at 1024x768 with 16x multisample and 8x AA and all directx settings to full quality with soft glare and halo and bump and fleck detail maps =.....

A grand total of 2 frames per second ^^

about the same as me. Where are all the options for AA etc.? oh and what card do you have Crusader?

I've seen some comparison shots between ATI and nvidia cards using this program and the ATI card blew the nvidia card away since apparently the nvidia FX cards didn't render it probably due to limitations in the hardware... Anyone know more about this?

With the default animation, it never drops below 60fps on my 9800pro and with the skull I get constant 40fps give or take a few up and down.

I particlarily like using the very bright "bloom" effect on the planets one and it looks like moons orbiting a sun or something :-D

i think that's the right name for the effect

i get aout 15-20 fps with no multisampling. :( :( :( i have a good computer so why is it running so crap?? im running it on a p4 2.4ghz, 1gb of ram, and a GeForce FX 5800 at 1024x768

TIIMMYY said:
i get aout 15-20 fps with no multisampling. :( :( :( i have a good computer so why is it running so crap?? im running it on a p4 2.4ghz, 1gb of ram, and a GeForce FX 5800 at 1024x768

Your card sucks.

The rthdribl demo is superb. The most convincing setup I've found is the aluminium or flint glass skull in the forest. Getting closer and closer to photorealism. Far closer than I thought.

My machine; Athlon XP 2400+ (overclocked), 512Mb DDR, HIS Radeon 9600pro 128Mb.

I get around 20-25fps at 1024x768 with 4x multi (default depth of field and glare settings) with the skull, 30-35fps with the default animation. Looks stunning on a TFT. Good enough for me. :thumbs:

IS HDR implemented in HL2?
Because i thought it wasn't :(

The_Don said:
The rthdribl demo is superb. The most convincing setup I've found is the aluminium or flint glass skull in the forest. Getting closer and closer to photorealism. Far closer than I thought.

My machine; Athlon XP 2400+ (overclocked), 512Mb DDR, HIS Radeon 9600pro 128Mb.

I get around 20-25fps at 1024x768 with 4x multi (default depth of field and glare settings) with the skull, 30-35fps with the default animation. Looks stunning on a TFT. Good enough for me. :thumbs:

Did you tweak your card? sapphire radeons are normally better than HIS (and that too XT with 256mb ram), but your card is performing awesomely!

I get around 30 FPS with the skull after extreme tweaking...I was actually getting like 11 FPS with the skull with my clock at 499.5mhz.

ferd said:
IS HDR implemented in HL2?
Because i thought it wasn't :(

It might make it. Otherwise they'd be included later on in patches. :)

lans said:
Did you tweak your card? sapphire radeons are normally better than HIS (and that too XT with 256mb ram), but your card is performing awesomely!

I get around 30 FPS with the skull after extreme tweaking...I was actually getting like 11 FPS with the skull with my clock at 499.5mhz.

Hell yah. I'm surprised myself because I appear to get the same performance as some people with the 9800pro. I let one of my mates loose with it, who happens to be an IT god :borg: . Helped to optimise my whole system, which is just as well because I have no money to buy the latest hardware (student).
All I know is I shouldn't have a problem with HL2.

please let us know what u've had done to it, cos id die for performance like that with my 9600XT! my framerates fall faster than a drunken 90-year old with a broken hip when i switch to those settings with the skull...

-Jim

MagnumPI said:
my framerates fall faster than a drunken 90-year old with a broken hip

Hehe, nice. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure because I didn't really understand what he was doing at the time. My CPU and GPU are both overclocked, so much so I've got enough fans to lift a truck in there to keep them cool. Basically, pushing the hardware as far as it will go, knowing it won't last more than about a year and a half. He did some software tweaking which went beyond me, and I think that's what made the extra difference.
Sorry I can't be more helpful! I'm sure there must be some advice on the net.

That video was pretty cool

kind of dumb but their getting pretty real looking with 3d

I think the lighting and the textures are what are really making it look photo-real

Hi my first post \o/ woo!

Well anyways many people were asking about Hl2 and Hdr effects ingame (sorry if someone explained this already). Hl2 will have Hdr ingame (prob all the time, if your card render it) you can see Hdr for example in the Cs:s video.

When the ct:s come from above at the bridge and the terrorist turns to shoot him, there you can see Hdr.

Bakurei said:
Hi my first post \o/ woo!

Well anyways many people were asking about Hl2 and Hdr effects ingame (sorry if someone explained this already). Hl2 will have Hdr ingame (prob all the time, if your card render it) you can see Hdr for example in the Cs:s video.

When the ct:s come from above at the bridge and the terrorist turns to shoot him, there you can see Hdr.

No thats just a static glare effect from the Sun, it's an effect that can be produced through the use of HDR but doesn't require it.

HDR has only been demoed by Valve once in the DX9 Source vid.

NeLi said:
Your card sucks.

wtf?? i paid 300 quid for it, and NOW i find out it sucks! well, this certainly sucks. i suppose my old geforce 4 mx420 was better?

TIIMMYY said:
wtf?? i paid 300 quid for it, and NOW i find out it sucks! well, this certainly sucks. i suppose my old geforce 4 mx420 was better?

Actually I'm amazed you even got that on a FX5800. The fx 5900 ultra get's like 5 - 8 FPS at 1024 x 768, and my friend checked it out on his comp. The Fx series of nVidia is just not able to cope with new technology that's the problem - the radeon 9600 + are able to cope with it much better, instead.

Back