Possible RAM issues...

Jackal hit

Reaction score
hey there, i have a friend that said they MIGHT be having problems with their RAM. so i was wondering if there is software that can be run to test the RAM or what could be done to check for problems.

thanks.

I've also got a RAM question, so I figured I'd jump in on this thread since I've already started 2 others...

I started the computer I have now with just 512MB RAM. I added another 512 stick a while ago, and had some issues installing it. My motherboard supports dual-channel DDR, and when I had one of sticks stick in slot 1 and the other in slot 3, my computer wouldn't boot up. However, when I swapped them, the computer did boot. The computer also booted when only one stick was installed (for both sticks).

Here are the specs (From CPU-Z) for what my memory is running at:
Frequency: 166.4 mhz
FSB:DRAM: 1:1
CAS# Latency: 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge: 3 clocks
Cycle Time (Tras): 7 clocks

Here are the specs on the DIMMs:

#1: 512 MB/PC2700(166Mhz)(1 rows, 4 banks)/ Unknown manufacturer/ no correction, reg or buffer
Timings: 2-2-2-5 @ 100Mhz, 2.5-3-3-7 @ 166Mhz

#2: 512 MB/PC2700(166Mhz) (2 rows, 4 banks) / Samsung / no correction, reg or buffer
Timings: 2-3-3-6 @ 133Mhz, 2.5-3-3-7 @ 166Mhz

There are some slight differences in the specs of these DIMMs, which I didn't bother to check before I bought the 2nd one because I'm a noob. Is this what caused the odd installation problem, and more importantly, will anything listed above cause my system to run slower than it should? Also, will it negatively affect overclockability?

Jackel hit, you could try Memtest: http://www.memtest86.com/

Although I havent used it (although meant to lots of time) I am always hearing about it. It takes about 5 hour I think so leave it on overnight.

DreamThrall said:
I've also got a RAM question, so I figured I'd jump in on this thread since I've already started 2 others...

I started the computer I have now with just 512MB RAM. I added another 512 stick a while ago, and had some issues installing it. My motherboard supports dual-channel DDR, and when I had one of sticks stick in slot 1 and the other in slot 3, my computer wouldn't boot up. However, when I swapped them, the computer did boot. The computer also booted when only one stick was installed (for both sticks).

Here are the specs (From CPU-Z) for what my memory is running at:
Frequency: 166.4 mhz
FSB:DRAM: 1:1
CAS# Latency: 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge: 3 clocks
Cycle Time (Tras): 7 clocks

Here are the specs on the DIMMs:

#1: 512 MB/PC2700(166Mhz)(1 rows, 4 banks)/ Unknown manufacturer/ no correction, reg or buffer
Timings: 2-2-2-5 @ 100Mhz, 2.5-3-3-7 @ 166Mhz

#2: 512 MB/PC2700(166Mhz) (2 rows, 4 banks) / Samsung / no correction, reg or buffer
Timings: 2-3-3-6 @ 133Mhz, 2.5-3-3-7 @ 166Mhz

There are some slight differences in the specs of these DIMMs, which I didn't bother to check before I bought the 2nd one because I'm a noob. Is this what caused the odd installation problem, and more importantly, will anything listed above cause my system to run slower than it should? Also, will it negatively affect overclockability?

Adding the second stick should not hurt the overclock you can achieve, but you ain't going to get the FSB very high seen as it is only pc2700 and the timing are a bit slack. Can't see why your mobo is being picky about which one is in which slot what type is it?

Yup it takes a while to go through your ram (depending on how much you have), but if there are any errors, you'll know.

Mitch2891 said:
Adding the second stick should not hurt the overclock you can achieve, but you ain't going to get the FSB very high seen as it is only pc2700 and the timing are a bit slack. Can't see why your mobo is being picky about which one is in which slot what type is it?

My motherboard is a Gibabyte GA-7N400-L (nForce2 chipset)

Back