Pre-Purchase Bioshock 2 on Steam Now

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
[br]Bioshock 2, the highly anticipated title by 2K Marin is now available for pre-order on Steam for a 10% discount. The original game, Bioshock comes free with this pre-order (if you already own it, you can gift it to a friend).[br]More information on the Steam store (see that, an actual real source, not just a made up rumour about Episode 3!)

Meh. More interested in AvP 3 which also went on pre-sale today.

Why on earth first game is still NA only when second one is available everywhere? I don't understand 2K (hey, I won't bash them this time). It's also interesting how they give you one copy of Bioshock if you preorder the game, what if I already own the game?

Was interested till i saw that the Steam version has SecuROM on it.

Not only SecuROM, but also Windows Live.

Why on earth first game is still NA only when second one is available everywhere? I don't understand 2K (hey, I won't bash them this time). It's also interesting how they give you one copy of Bioshock if you preorder the game, what if I already own the game?

Not only SecuROM, but also Windows Live.

Huh? I can buy Bioshock here in the UK. If you already own Bioshock then you get it as a gift which you can give to someone else, much like the the Half-life gifts when you bought the Orange Box.

Steam doesn't let you gift every game. I mean it lets you receive the same game twice.

For example: if you buy some Half-Life pack, and if you already have Opposing Force, you don't get a second one. You can't even gift it.

Steam doesn't let you gift every game. I mean it lets you receive the same game twice.

It says on the store page that they'll let you gift this one.

Well on the Steam home page if says "play it now or gift it to a friend" I thought Steam does let you gift every game which does it not allow you to gift?

do waaaant. I don't care what Any of you guys say, Bioshock was one of my favorite games.

For example: if you buy some Half-Life pack, and if you already have Opposing Force, you don't get a second one. You can't even gift it.

Which is complete ****ing bullshit, they should let you gift every steam game you have an extra copy of.

[br]More information on the Steam store (see that, an actual real source, not just a made up rumour about Episode 3!)

What does this mean exactly?

Also, 2K screwed us Aussies over. USD $80 for Bioshock 2 on steam. Why do we keep getting screwed for the price? This game will be USD$50 at retail.

This game will be USD$50 at retail.

I am not sure if you have been into a retail store recently...It certainly wont be $50USD retail (in Australia).

I have to second the "*** you" at 2K. They have lowered themselves to the level of SEGA and Activision with their poor decisions regarding their attempted r*** of Australian customers.

Well on the Steam home page if says "play it now or gift it to a friend" I thought Steam does let you gift every game which does it not allow you to gift?

Have a look at the "Extra Copies" article in support here: LINK

The short story from there is:
Extra copies are a special promotion for users who:

1. Own "Left 4 Dead" and then go on to purchase "Left 4 Dead + Left 4 Dead 2 Bundle"
2. Pre-purchase Bioshock 2 and receive a copy of the original Bioshock
3. Purchase the available four pack for one of the following games: "Bioshock 2", "Borderlands", "Global Agenda", “Left 4 Dead”, "Left 4 Dead 2", "Madballs in Babo: Invasion", "Shattered Horizon", or "Zero Gear"
4. Own “Half-Life 2” and/or “Half-Life 2: Episode One” and then go on to purchase “The Orange Box” or the "Valve Complete Pack"
5. Own “Half-Life 2: Episode One” and then go on to purchase the "Half-Life 2: Episode Pack”
6. Own "Universe at War" and then go on to pre-purchase "Aliens vs. Predator"

It is a shame (but very understandable) this is still unknown to many Steam customers. I would like them to warn the customer whenever they are about to purchase a pack that contains "wasted" buys of already owned games.. (needless to say, I would rather like them to allow extra copies for ALL double/multiple buys ;))

Have a look at the "Extra Copies" article in support here: LINK

The short story from there is:

It is a shame (but very understandable) this is still unknown to many Steam customers. I would like them to warn the customer whenever they are about to purchase a pack that contains "wasted" buys of already owned games.. (needless to say, I would rather like them to allow extra copies for ALL double/multiple buys ;))

Extra copies for everything would be great. They are warning you in checkout that you have some games already and pointing to article about extra copies.

I am not sure if you have been into a retail store recently...It certainly wont be $50USD retail (in Australia).

Retail is for chumps. You'll be able to get boxed copies shipped in for less than $50AUD with free shipping. Much better option than getting price gouged.

I'm currently playing through the original Bioshock and enjoying it a lot, but I'm a bit unsure about how much fun Bioshock 2 is going to be...
I'll first wait for some reviews/a price drop.

I'm currently playing through the original Bioshock and enjoying it a lot, but I'm a bit unsure about how much fun Bioshock 2 is going to be...
I'll first wait for some reviews/a price drop.

There have already been 3 reviews, all at 90% or higher.

First Bioshock got high reviews but you still see people pissing and moaning about the game.

Other Requirements: Initial installation requires one-time internet connection; Ability to save game, earn achievements, receive title updates and online play requires log-in to Games for Windows LIVE; software installations required including Microsoft Visual C++2008 Runtime Libraries, Games for Windows LIVE client, Games for Windows LIVE Client Patch, Sony DADC SecuROM, Microsoft DirectX.
This sucks.

I don't understand. Why use Windows Live on a platform that has its own community functionality. Why use SecuROM on a platform that has built-in DRM functionality.

It's strange.

It's like double up on everything :|

DoW2 requires both Steam and GFW Live. Caused a lot of problems at launch. Well, a lot of things caused problems with that launch but the two problems interfering with each other didn't help.

Well, I guess it's nice of them to put in the DRM from the get go instead of trying to sneak it in under the radar via DLC (Pitchfording).

I'll probably still buy it when I can bypass SecuWrong. I can live with GFWL.

Was all ready to pre-order this until I saw it not only has Securom, but Games for Windows Live. GFWL was a serious pain in the ass in the PC port of GTA4, so there's no way I'm buying this. You'd think 2k would get a clue after the shitstorm surrounding the Bioshock release. The pirate copy will not have Securom or GFWL, why should I pay for this? I'm more than happy to part with my money if they offer me a quality product, not DRM and bloatware-infested garbage...

Then a few months from now, they'll announce that Bioshock 2 was pirated 2 billion times, and that this underscores the need for even more restrictive DRM... /facepalm

The pirate copy will not have Securom or GFWL, why should I pay for this? I'm more than happy to part with my money if they offer me a quality product, not DRM and bloatware-infested garbage...

You know, I changed my mind about the DRM thing. I was very tolerant about Securom and online activation, until I bought a *very* expensive professional product, which I can only install on *two* different machines. This is causing me much trouble, since that expensive software is for my work, and I have more than two workstations. Then, I discovered that the same product was cracked on release time. No activations limit. It works fine. I was happy to pay for that fine piece of software, but they are now making me feel very stupid.
Draconian DRM is garbage. It turns honest people into pirates. I will not buy *anything* with activations limit.

well for $45 i can get all the achievements through steam with games for windows and it'll look better on PC. i'm just debating on when to get this game. i think i can wait till summer time when a possible price drop comes and theres a bajillion reviews on this game

Back