Predictions on GameSpot's rating?

This is an interesting one to watch because gamespot seemed to go sour on Valve for a while there. The final hours story hopefully put that to rest.

iNetter said:
Considering that GameSpot is the #1 gaming source I trust for fair reviews
ROTFL! :LOL:

Gamespot has the WORST reviews by far, of any site. That's why I was shocked at the "Final Hours" article. How could a site with such shitty reviews, make such a good article . . .

Thought I admit their Doom 3 review was spot on, for a change.

It'll be 9 to 10. All the reviews have given nothing less than 93.5 percent.
Even with Gamespots harshness.
The Final Hours thing was good, I read it a little while ago.

halo2 got a 9.6
since they dont want to have angry ppl which say false score.. blahlbah
half life2 will get a 9.6

mark my words:D

If it scores under 9.6 than Gamespot is a joke. No way HL2 getting a lower score then Halo2

sharp said:
If it scores under 9.6 than Gamespot is a joke. No way HL2 getting a lower score then Halo2

*cough*9.5*cough*

KagePrototype said:
Halo 2 got 9.4, ya eejits. :p

I know - that's why I was coughing that hl2 could get lower than 9.6, which is 9.5. :p

lans said:
I know - that's why I was coughing that hl2 could get lower than 9.6, which is 9.5. :p

I wasn't actually referring to you, just the other two. :)

Well, just under eight hours to the review. Hmm.

To be honest, I'm really not sure. Undoubtably an Editor's Choice, but I really can't pin it down any further than that. Arond 9.5, I suppose. Hopefully higher.

Yogibbear said:
So what time does the gamespot review actually come out...???

8pm GMT ... 12 hours before the game, just to give us something to talk about whilst we wait.

since HALO2 is nr2 on their list with a score of 9.4
and they already say that HL² is the nr1 game, it's gotta be above 9.4, so my guess is 9.6 :)

I just been looking at the DVD box in my local store(not for sale until tomorrow), there is no mention of multiplayer on the box just CS:S. The game must still get 9.7 just from viewing the movie clips!

simon said:
since HALO2 is nr2 on their list with a score of 9.4
and they already say that HL² is the nr1 game, it's gotta be above 9.4, so my guess is 9.6 :)

That has nohing to do with ratings. That's based on the number of views

click the "highest rated" tab. GTA:SA is number 1 with 9.6

If the game is 36 hours in length roughly as predicted, then thats 22 more hours worth of playing time than Halo 2 contains... 22 hours worth of gameplay differnce is ALOT.

Might not contain HL2 multiplayer (except CS:S) but there is that rumour around that it might contain original multiplayer after all, due to that *there a big suprise for you people* qoute from somebody who reviewed it. well see..

Ill say 9.8 - 9.9

TopDog said:
If the game is 36 hours in length roughly as predicted, then thats 22 more hours worth of playing time than Halo 2 contains... 22 hours worth of gameplay differnce is ALOT.

Might not contain HL2 multiplayer (except CS:S) but there is that rumour around that it might contain original multiplayer after all, due to that *there a big suprise for you people* qoute from somebody who reviewed it. well see..

Ill say 9.8 - 9.9

Most reviews are stating 15-20hours to complete, and a bit more fro completionists. :( I wish they had done 2 chapters... 2 15hr segments would be great :) But they will have expansions and I am just glad it is out. Another 15 hours would have been 5 more months + bug fixing based on their own statement that once the tools were done they could do 3hrs of content per month.

Halo 2 is short, but the multiplayer with Xbox Live is pretty awesome.

I'd like to remind everyone that the Gamespot review will be up in 3 and a half hours. Afternoon PST and 8 o'clock GMT.

The fact that Half-Life 2 has no original multiplayer to speak of might hurt it with the Gamespot review because one of their boxes is "Value" i.e. replayability, and if they're not reviewing CS:Source as the HL-2 multiplayer component they could knock a few points off there, though they should since you get CS:Source free with all or nearly all versions of Half-Life 2.

btw if gamespot gives it lower than 9.6, i aint never going to read their stupid reviews anymore!

let's say
10 : Gameplay (should be pretty sure of this one)
9 : Graphics (they might knock a point off next to games like DooM 3 and FarCry)
9 : Sound (another publication gave this quite a poor score for some reason)
9 : Value (no multiplayer, but could be 10 if they review CS:Source as part of HL2)
10 : Tilt (Gabe has said on numerous occasions there are several ways of going about things).

That's 9.4, which just so happens to be the same score they gave Half-Life 1, therefore I'm pretty sure Gamespot will give HL2 9.4.

Nope, I'm certain it won't get 10 on Gameplay. Possibly on everything else, but not Gameplay. Gamespot will find something, even if it's just a minor issue, and will knock a point off of gameplay. They don't generally give 10 to that. If they notice that a teammate gets stuck, that a vehicle is hard to control, that some weapon is too strong, etc., they won't give gameplay a 10. And they really tend to point out issues that are so minor I'd say they are nonexistient!

mortiz said:
The fact that Half-Life 2 has no original multiplayer to speak of might hurt it with the Gamespot review because one of their boxes is "Value" i.e. replayability, and if they're not reviewing CS:Source as the HL-2 multiplayer component they could knock a few points off there, though they should since you get CS:Source free with all or nearly all versions of Half-Life 2.

Its a debateable subject the multiplayer. They only reviews whats on the discs. if CSS is on the discs it should count. Tats my opinion anyway.

Gamespot list Counter-Strike: Source as a seperate game to Half-Life 2. It's possible they won't bother bringing it into the equation.

Back