Preload Started!

If only all my downloads could go at 650 kb/s. Sigh. Damn wireless connection.

Biozeminade said:
No, it is encrypted. You are just using bandwidth. I mean that's not a problem, I guess you are wasting your own time :)

No he's not, when he gets the HL2 package, he can put the key into steam and play right away without installing.

The charts on steampowered seem to have hardly changed. Are they offline or is Valve just doing REALLY good bandwith-wise?

CaptainSpanky87 said:
Not to be too pessimistic but unlike when everyone was flipping out about downloading the huge 700mb E3 videos and they actually got something at the end, this time everyones gonna finish and be like "yep, that was cool." and they still have to wait. so why get excited?

Well, I've wanted to say this for a long time, but never got around to it. The start of pre-loading is a HUGE milestone. Even though you can't do anything with the pre-load yet, it means that HL2 is right around the corner (most likely). So you should get excited because you and I and everyone else will be playing HL2 soon. :thumbs:

Once you get your retail copy, you can either put in your CD and install or use the CD-key to download the game from steam (for whatever reason).

That's why I don't even use my HL CD to install HL anymore. I just use steam to download the game, faster that way.

ppl reporting 500kb/s dl speeds are these only with steam? wen downloadin non steam things i gt an average of 30kb/s! how do u manage such high data transfer?

So, I guess we will be hearing a Release date from Valve pretty damn soon then ???

sexy :dork:

Is the steam version of HL2 any different from the retail version of hl2?

I know there were differences when i had the steam version of op force rather than the retail version (ie... the loading screen was standard steam precaching one, but retail had the normal, unintrusive loading sign in the middle of the screen)

EDIT: b-man i'm getting 1.2 MB/sec right now :-D... i'm on a cable connection and probably among the first people to start downloading it a minute after it was put online

Wow, getting a fairly consistent speed of 2mb/s, fastest I've ever downloaded! 61% btw, and 500th post!

Anyone who baught a CD version of CZ will know this, when i installed the 1.5 gigs of CZ normally and tried to use steam, it had to redownload anything anyway, so the preload may benefit anybody who wishes to recieve updates, unless they fix the Conversion thing.

Ugg does anyone know what happens if your internet dies while dling these things(my internet decides to start becoming flaky now.. WHY NOW??) Do you have to restart the download or will it just pick up where it left off next log on?

The download should pick up right where it ended.

Johnny said:
Ugg does anyone know what happens if your internet dies while dling these things(my internet decides to start becoming flaky now.. WHY NOW??) Do you have to restart the download or will it just pick up where it left off next log on?

It does a checksum like bit torrent, so its full resumable,

How do you get that thing to come up with your download rate?

92%

Ha, that's right they hired that guy who made BT to work for them hehe... pretty handy

0 kb/s on a college network

Try it again later I guess.

Attachments

• hl2preload.jpg
    hl2preload.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 337
w00t, thanks buddy. Lol with .4% left too. Done :( I think it said something like 1.8mbps

Oh well, finished, that was exciting. Almost as good as playing ^_^

To the guy whos thread was pointlessly closed:

try using winrar to partition the 1gig file in to 2 500mb rars (noncompressed) instead.

EDIT: Oops......HL2 *woop* preloading *woop*! :p

i get these speeds because i live 20min from valve.

Attachments

• prelload.JPG
    prelload.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 328
Just got onto a server, and im whizzing on at 2% :hmph: now im bored. Yeah i agree with you, 'Coming Soon' Halflife 2, gets you salviating a little, so close now, yet so far? or maybe not?

How do you tell how fast your DL is going in Steam again?

wbcheater said:
i get these speeds because i live 20min from valve.

Umm...i'm getting 1.6 mb/s, and i live on the other side of the country :|

[edit] 1.9 now

DarkStar said:
How do you tell how fast your DL is going in Steam again?

DarkStar, scroll up on this very page... its explained
(Well, the page you posted on, not this one, it went to the next page already)

85% done, someone can soon take my dl spot and experience the limited joy of preloading!

Back