Preload Started!

Sashswash said:
Umm...i'm getting 1.6 mb/s, and i live on the other side of the country :|

[edit] 1.9 now

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! same here, exept i live 4hrs and 5 min from VALVe

Half-Life 2 pre-loading begins to Steam account holders today. Over the coming days, those who have selected the pre-loading option will have encrypted Half-Life 2 files delivered to their PC. No purchase is required to pre-load HL2, but is required to activate the game. Purchase options will be released soon. Then, the moment the game is made available, those who have pre-loaded and purchased Half-Life 2 via Steam will be authenticated and ready to start playing. For more information, please visit www.steampowered.com.

It looks like they have more files coming "over the coming days".

been discussed several times. 1043 megabytes was the number I think.

Sashswash said:
Half-Life 2 pre-loading begins to Steam account holders today. Over the coming days, those who have selected the pre-loading option will have encrypted Half-Life 2 files delivered to their PC. No purchase is required to pre-load HL2, but is required to activate the game. Purchase options will be released soon. Then, the moment the game is made available, those who have pre-loaded and purchased Half-Life 2 via Steam will be authenticated and ready to start playing. For more information, please visit www.steampowered.com.

It looks like they have more files coming "over the coming days".

coming days could me 3 days or 300 days

Beast206 said:
been discussed several times. 1043 megabytes was the number I think.

Which appears to be textures, if "Materials" is anything to go by, CZ stores its sound, models etc in seperate GCF files.

Lobster said:
Which appears to be textures, if "Materials" is anything to go by, CZ stores its sound, models etc in seperate GCF files.
Lol, that's insane. :eek:

Sushi said:
85% done, someone can soon take my dl spot and experience the limited joy of preloading!
Mememe! OK now for some math.. ok it started at 7pm PDT, you're 85% done.. ok so that means.. ahhhh my math stinks. I'll just keep clicking "Start Pre-loading Now" until it works :)

I can't stop crying.

Attachments

• Soon, people Soon..JPG
    Soon, people Soon..JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 329
So um, what program is it that i use to extract images from this file? ;-)

Ikerous said:
So um, what program is it that i use to extract images from this file? ;-)

No one will help you here, and those that do, will be circumcised by the moderators.

Yea but at least this way you can rid out everyone who knows how to do it so you dont need to worry about anyone posting them.

I can't wait till i can download the rest of it...

But if the textures were decoded we could see... ah... bricks!

And maybe some wood, possibly glass... glass is cool!

it says, " locked copy of half-life 2 is now on your comp!" :O

Glass!? I didnt even think of glass! Now i reallly need to figure this out

Downloading 1gb in about 45 minutes is mighty impressive!

:thumbs: @ Steam

G'night folks!

I know these files are encrypted, but is it possible for someone to hack them by using the leaked alpha executable (or using that as a launchpad for them)? I'm not condoning this at all, but was curious if it was possible. I'd imagine Valve has real good encryption techniques, but my faith in them security wise has been slightly diminished, so I dunno. And yeah, if they're encrypted I would think it would be extremely difficult to break them. Sort of like the super computer, thousands of years thing trying to break it.

so this preload was materials only(including textures). i bet the sound files preload will be in the not too distant future.

If your not going to buy the game through steam stop freakin downloading the cahe!! God damn it!. I cant download anything.
I think this should have only been for people who registered their ATI Serial number.

Damn, now I'm hoocked. I need another proload (biting my nails compulsivlty).

PS: Kidding, don't flame (hide behind a proverbial wall).

AgentXen said:
If your not going to buy the game through steam stop freakin downloading the cahe!! God damn it!. I cant download anything.
I think this should have only been for people who registered their ATI Serial number.

Calm down dude, you'll get it eventually. Not like you can do anything with these files for a while.

spitcodfry said:
I know these files are encrypted, but is it possible for someone to hack them by using the leaked alpha executable (or using that as a launchpad for them)? I'm not condoning this at all, but was curious if it was possible. I'd imagine Valve has real good encryption techniques, but my faith in them security wise has been slightly diminished, so I dunno. And yeah, if they're encrypted I would think it would be extremely difficult to break them. Sort of like the super computer, thousands of years thing trying to break it.

they are definately encrypted i just tried to open a .vmt file(valve material file), which defines how a material acts(wood, metal etc), it was all garbled. even if someone had the alpha, they would need to decrypt the files first to even use the materials

Steam says its too busy to handle any more preloads. =/

poseyjmac said:
they are definately encrypted i just tried to open a .vmt file(valve material file), which defines how a material acts(wood, metal etc), it was all garbled. even if someone had the alpha, they would need to decrypt the files first to even use the materials

Sounds like a challange to millions of hackers.

Kudos to Valve, this time Gabe kept his word!
BTW, since I was not at home (left shortly after HL2 was said to start, at the round hour of 6), what time did it ACTUALLY start, like 6:30, or what?

WELL my 58 megabytes r done downloading now valve the preload isint that big lolol

Back