Problem: Gordon can't run

Poisongage

Reaction score
Hello! I registered here in hope of finding a solution to a problem i recently discovered. After not playing HL2 for a while i decided to go through the game once more, but i was dissapointed when i launched the game to find that Gordon wouldn't run - he walks along without being able to alternate between running/walking - he is just tugging along at a frustrating pace.

When i get the HEV suit from Dr. Kleiner, i can sprint, but still, i can't run like i should be able to normally. I guess this is a problem on my end of the line, but i was wondering whether or not anybody else have had this problem. I tried remapping keys, resetting keys - to no avail.

Anyone know of a solution to this problem ? Something i can fix or should i just uninstall the game and install it again (not really my favorite option).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

- Poisongage

Admittedly, I don't really know what the problem is. You're stuck walking? As if you were constantly holding down the walk key? I don't even remember if there was a walk key in HL2.

From what i remember there is a button for walking is there not? So there is Sprint>Run (normal)>Walk.

Check the button mappings is all i can suggest. Maybe verify the game cache although i don't see how that could have started it.

What happens if you delete all your saves and just start from scratch?

Admittedly, I don't really know what the problem is. You're stuck walking? As if you were constantly holding down the walk key? I don't even remember if there was a walk key in HL2.

Ah, i replied when you hadn't.

*goes to check HL2*

HL2.png

Yes, Gordon won't do what he normally does when no buttons are pushed - he walks no matter what. And there is a walk key, normally assigned to ALT. Like i said, i tried re-assigning and even resetting to default, but it didn't work.

From what i remember there is a button for walking is there not? So there is Sprint>Run (normal)>Walk.

Check the button mappings is all i can suggest. Maybe verify the game cache although i don't see how that could have started it.

What happens if you delete all your saves and just start from scratch?

I did start from scratch (think i mentioned that) :)

I checked CS:S, which runs through HL, but no problem with running there.

Like i said, when i got the HEV suit from Dr. Kleiner, sprinting was no problem, but Gordon still walked when not pushing any buttons.

Perhaps you are right about the cache thing, but haven't a clue how to mess with that, so any advice on cleaning or fixing the cache would be appreciated!

Yes, Gordon won't do what he normally does when no buttons are pushed - he walks no matter what. And there is a walk key, normally assigned to ALT. Like i said, i tried re-assigning and even resetting to default, but it didn't work.

I did start from scratch (think i mentioned that) :)

I checked CS:S, which runs through HL, but no problem with running there.

Like i said, when i got the HEV suit from Dr. Kleiner, sprinting was no problem, but Gordon still walked when not pushing any buttons.

Perhaps you are right about the cache thing, but haven't a clue how to mess with that, so any advice on cleaning or fixing the cache would be appreciated!

Right click it in the steam games list, properties>local files>verify integrity of game cache.

Right click it in the steam games list, properties>local files>verify integrity of game cache.

Tried it and it told me that 3 files failed validation and was to be reacquired. I launched the game, but no change. However, i notice now, that when i hold down ALT to walk, Gordon slows down - but he still isn't up to full pace when not holding down ALT. So there is a slight difference, but it still isn't working like it should.

Seems like the value of the default pace has been changed, but how, i have no clue. He should be running but instead it's a-bit-faster-than-walk speed - noticeably different from what it's supposed to be.

Is it possible to fix this, or should i go for a clean install ?

Do you know how to open the console? If so, the command to change the normal speed is "hl2_normspeed #". The default # is 190 I think, it may or may not require sv_cheats to be on.

Do you know how to open the console? If so, the command to change the normal speed is "hl2_normspeed #". The default # is 190 I think, it may or may not require sv_cheats to be on.

I have a European keyboard that requires me to use ALT Gr to type ~, so i can't bring up the console. How do i get past that problem ?

Okay i figured out how to bring up the console, and changing hl2_normspeed worked. However i am not sure if the value 190 is the default, i got it to work by setting it to 300, that seemed like how it was before i ran into this problem. Anyways, now it works (for the time being :) )

Thanks a bunch to all you guys for taking the time to help me. Much appreciated!

Out of interest, what does that mean? (That number).

(Erm, I know what it 'means' in other guises! lol) :)

It's how many frames per second i was getting from my Video card. A little irrelevant as it was a menu, it was over 300 whilst it was loading.

The program is called fraps if you want to record framerates.

That was taken on my laptop, so it only has an 8600m gt.

If the button does absolutely nothing, verify your game cache. If he walks at a mild pace it may just be the difference in running speed from HL1 to HL2 messing with your head. Gordon walks much slower in hl2. Otherwise, in that same "Assign Buttons" menu, you can change what key the console is bound to and get into it using that key.

I am not certain of what you are trying to describe. You cannot run like you "should be able to normally" and yet, in Half-Life 2 and each following installment, you cannot run normally and continually as you could in Half-Life, just as Van_Halen stated.

You can sprint, however, which will allow you increased velocity provided by an internal power supply (which may be usual length or shorter, based on other factors of power usage within the suit itself). I'm also doubtful that you have been stuck in the walking pace as to the best of my knowledge the difference in velocity between the walking pace and regular pace is minimal and hardly noticeable.

Back