Problem with character models

FreemanHL2

Reaction score
ok, so everyone is having problems with hammer... anyone noticed how hammer crashes wenever u go to view/insert a player model into the map? including hostages... wich is obviously important for a counterstrike map. im closing in on production of my first full source map for CS:S and I need to put character models into my map... Everytime I view/insert a model it simply gives a generic windows error saying the program has performed an illegal error and hammer must shut down. Rather then annoying people who cant fix it, is there anyway to report errors within hammer directly to valve?

PS: anyone noticed the same problem as me, or is it my comp thats ****ed? Thanks everyone.

same here, NPC's crash hammer. No idea how to get around this right now.

Mine loads all fine, animations and all.

Reinstall the SDK? Update drivers? ´Has that been tried?

lol to be honest im pretty pissed off... npc's crashing an sdk? wat kind of mod can u create without any npc's anyway? its pathetic lol. Im pretty much done my map, all i need is sum hosties and a couple of dead bodies, is that to much to ask for? lol :(

My SDK works fine, and all npc's and ragdolls can be loaded in hammer just fine. SO I suggest updating all the stuff like I said before.

Anyone else having this prob? Found a fix?

FreemanHL2 try this:
go to your C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\%username%\sourcesdk\bin folder and create a desktop shortcut for hammer.exe
Under the properties of this shortcut type the following into the Target box

%sourcesdk%\bin\hammer.exe -dxlevel 80 -game "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\%username%\half-life 2 deathmatch\hl2mp"

Of course, substitute your username for %username%, and you can change what game your hammer is set up for by changing half-life 2 deatmatch\hl2mp, to half-life 2\hl2, or counter-strike source\cstrike

then use the shortcut to launch hammer (not the sdklauncher). You can also create a hammer shortcut for each game this way. Once Valve fixes the problem just remove -dxlevel 80, and the shortcut will launch hammer normally.

this finally fixed it for me.

Good luck.

PS: If I compile the map and run it, will it be fully directx9 functional in-game?

I'm gonna take a guess and say no. But what you might try is loading hammer normally once you're ready to do a final compile, and see if your map will load, then just F9 it. My hammer doesn't crash untill I start moving the camera view around (with an NPC in the map), I can still *load* a map with NPC's, and compile the map.

I'd say that it would be fully DX9 ingame. The compile should be identical regardeless of what DXlvl you run hammer in.

Back