Problem with Lamarr's gender

Wilsonator

Reaction score
Throughout the game, Lamarr is consistently referred to as a she and is described as a female headcrab.

However Lamarr should be genderless as all headcrabs lack sexual organs and are prodcued by a hive mother. (Gonarch)

(Of course maybe Dr. Kleiner is so lonely he has to pretend he has a 'female' headcrab for company. *wink, wink, nudge nudge*)

So Lamarr isn't a she, it's an 'it'.

Yes, but things that at genderless tend to be assigned femine gender. eg Vehicles, Hive animals

"Ah, thar she blows!"
"The boat, she's docked"
and the genderless drones in an anthill.

And the fact that Lamarr is named after Heddy Lamarr - the Hollywood actress.

Get it...a headcrab named Lamarr - Heddy Lamarr.

It's funny cause its a headcrab...and I'm spent.

kirovman said:
Yes, but things that at genderless tend to be assigned femine gender. eg Vehicles, Hive animals
Damn… what does that tell us about deep rooted biases…

Wilsonator said:
However Lamarr should be genderless as all headcrabs lack sexual organs and are prodcued by a hive mother. (Gonarch)

actually, the Gonarch is a headcrab at its final stage of evolution.
and very few headcrabs ever reach the Gonarch stages.. the source for this info is Raising The Bar book :)

He's right. They do grow up to be Gonarches. But, due to the low survivability of Headcrabs and Zombies (Bullsquids like to eat Headcrabs), you don't see many Gonarches.

-Angry Lawyer

I don't remember reading that in raising the bar...I'll have to check it again.

I would have thought only a select few would be capable of being Gonarchs, like with Ants and Bees, there is only one new queen every generation or something like that.
If not I'm sure there would be a few more gonarchs about, unless the combine kill them off.

And anyway...a Gonarch needs a Lair :p

Holy sh*t , Lemmar is going to need some room when she'll grow up .

Come on ... hop hop - SPLAAAT!!!!

hahahahaha....that would sooooooooooo pwn!!!!!!1111111111111

Lammar is definitely NOT a female.

I saw his cock and balls.....and they are huge.

Imagine if hl3 takes place far enough into the future… Kliener could have a huge lamar gonarch guard!

kirovman said:

"Ah, thar she blows!"
"The boat, she's docked"
Not to be too picky, but "drone" is actually the term for a male ant. You want "worker" or "guardian".

Ninja Pirates? They're good, but not as good as Samurai Bandits.

I've always wondered if Gonarchs are a bit like queen bees- if more than one exists in a "hive", they'll come to blows to determine who is the superior. Thus, both Xenizen/Combine intervention and "natural" procedures would limit the headcrab populace.

Besides, it's just a bit of mad personification. Not that I'd know much about personifying alien parasites or anything...

He_Who_Is_Steve said:
Not to be too picky, but "drone" is actually the term for a male ant. You want "worker" or "guardian".

I'm no biologist...just a humble physicist ;(

sux you don't see that in the game, some vortie just picks up lamar bites her leg off hah!!.. damn i needa go buy raising the bar, i got all the spare information i have in my head from this place, i feel soo left out... WAAA

Combine Hybrid said:
don't forget that Voltigaunts also eat headcrabs.
Dr. Freeman said:
where did u read that?
It doesn't say it anywhere, but it's pretty obvious. In Water Hazard, in that cave after you kill the Hunter Chopper, you see a lone Vortigaunt roasting headcrabs, plus in Black Mesa East you can see Vortigaunts cooking some kind of "headcrab broth".

Actually the headcrabs that appear in Half-Life and HL2 can be best described as "she" if we assume that ideally for them they grow up to become Gonarchs.

In a way they're similar to ants, we just don't know where or if there is any male insemination involved in the process.

What ants do is they have a queen. Most of the time she makes female worker and combat ants. Theyre technically female but they don't reproduce. At certain times the queen produces loads of female and male ants that can reproduce. These ants have wings. You may have seen winged ants. Anyways, they fly off and get busy (The female ants receive enough sperm in this short period to last the rest of their lives. It aint tough, they just waste less than humans do) and the female ants attempt to start new colonies and become new queens. They lose their wings. Few survive.

My point is that we can equate little headcrabs with the winged ants. Gonarch produces little headcrabs, which shows a queen-like function, denoting female.

There are a few questions left like: Where are the males involved? Whats with this process of taking over humans? Are there males involved?

If there are no male headcrabs or anything else that inseminates the headcrabs we know that makes them asexual, so Lamarr would be an it. If there is some sort of male headcrab that makes her a "she". The simplest explanation is that they're asexual, so Lamarr should thus be an it.

Angry Lawyer said:
He's right. They do grow up to be Gonarches. But, due to the low survivability of Headcrabs and Zombies (Bullsquids like to eat Headcrabs), you don't see many Gonarches.

-Angry Lawyer
Well, there are few of them... but they dont die easily and their lifespan is so damn long. :cool:

The Vortigaunt in Eli's lab is cooking Houndeye...
Look closely.

-Angry Lawyer

Just one thing...wouldn't it be funny if in HL3 Lamarr was a Gonach?

Kleiner: Lamarr, Lamarr! No don't hit me with your sack....argh no, stop kicking me with your sharp spidery legs! Argh!
Barney: Thought I told you to get rid of that pest...

kirovman said:

"Ah, thar she blows!"
"The boat, she's docked"

I would of thought a vehicle would be a transexual. After all that exhaust pipe can be used both ways (In and Out)

Oh yeah, never saw that picture at that angle.

*simmers with embarassment*

-Angry Lawyer

Headcrab soup . Even better than the cat's one ... :naughty:

Back