Problem with new computer

Murray

Tank
Reaction score
I've just gotten my new computer, and there seems to be a problem with the graphics card. It says that the power support is not installed properly and it also beeps for like two senconds and then there is a short intervall, and then it begins to beep again.
Even though I've inserted the four-pin connector it doesn't seem to work.

It is a Sapphire X800XT graphics card.
I've gotten one of those Antec Piano Black Sonata, cases, with a 380W Power Supply so it shold be enough.

try pluggin in a molex from a line that isn't used by anything else. failing that, i'd try a more powerful psu

Ok, too bad the PSU is pretty powerful and should be able to handle just about anything.

try freeing up one whole molex chain to use solely for the graphics card, share out the other chain amongs the HDD/CD drives.

Is the computer recognizing the card at all? It sounds like the card itself is the problem.

Uh oh, I just ordered parts with a similar vid card and the same case....

I hope you figure it out before it gets here!

I've got a 350W Enermax silentPSU and i've got an X800 XT Platinum coming later this week, won't be nice if it just beeps at me.

i had that too with my new 9800 Pro

guess what it was

. . .

i connected the two chains to each other

:eek:

no problems now

Just in case its not the graphics card, have you plugged in the square 4 pin connector that most modern boards have, There should be a connection on the board, usually near the cpu socket and a 4 pins connector on the psu cable.
If it is'nt plugged in, Or you have the connection on board but not the connector on the psu cabling then that may be part of the problem.

Its the Truepower 380Watt psu, is that correct?
That should supply enough power on the 12V+ rail, ideally more than 30A is best, for modern pc's and components.

Check the m/board bios too, for any additional settings, that may help.

furiousV said:
i had that too with my new 9800 Pro

guess what it was

. . .

i connected the two chains to each other

:eek:

no problems now
BAAAHAHAHAoh sorry

oni_666 said:
Just in case its not the graphics card, have you plugged in the square 4 pin connector that most modern boards have, There should be a connection on the board, usually near the cpu socket and a 4 pins connector on the psu cable.
If it is'nt plugged in, Or you have the connection on board but not the connector on the psu cabling then that may be part of the problem.

Its the Truepower 380Watt psu, is that correct?
That should supply enough power on the 12V+ rail, ideally more than 30A is best, for modern pc's and components.

Check the m/board bios too, for any additional settings, that may help.
I'm pretty confident that the graphics card is plugged in with a 4-pin connector from the PSU. It may be faulty, though.
I don't really know any other possible explanation.

I am about to try some stuff out, like plugging in another graphics card and try the graphics card on another computer. I'll let you guys know what happened. Thanks, anyway.

I have a 380 truepower psu and an x800 pro (connect 3d, 16 pipes) and it's worked fine for me (doesn't the x800 series drain less power than the 9800s?).

Btw that beeing sound with a 2 second intervall is something you also hear when theres a problem with your RAM (I've been there, done that :p)...

Ok, I've tried the card at a friends computer and have recived the exact same problem. I'd guess it is a faulty graphics card and I'll just send it back to the store and get a new one. Thanks anyway. :)

Now I've borrowed a card from a friend and tried it on my computer, it works perfectly. I was even able to play some Half-Life 2 on it, so I'd guess the problem is pretty obvious by now.
So all of you who was worried there might be any flaw with this hardware, you don't need to worry. :)

i have heard those cards needs like 500W power supply, maybe not, but anyways i'll make sure i buy a 500W power supply for my X850 XT (Platinum) ;) (if it's overheating, buy a water supply xD ) LOL

i thought for the X800 or 6800s or something it wants at least 420W or recommends that

Back