problem with ropes

blinking halo

Reaction score
hi, ive sorted out my fence texture problem but now i have a new problem. Im trying to use ropes and a physbox to create a trap similar to the one in the e3 traptown video, in which you can trigger a beam to fall down and start swingin to and fro. now ive got a nice level set up for it (cs source level, not half life 2) and i followed the instructions from Ichis rope bridge tutorial, as i figured it should be the same concept. Now: the phys_lengthconstraints work fine, infact, they work exactly how i want them to. i can push the physbox and it swings to and fro, i can shoot it, and stand on it etc everything works the way it should. HOWEVER, the visual bit does NOT work. i have two move_ropes and two keyframe_ropes, and i have them set up exactly the way as was explained in Ichis video tutorial. the move ropes have the keyframes set as next keyframe, and the keyframes have the physbox set as parent, so it should work yes? but when i run it, the ropes run straight down to coordinate 0,0,0 (at least i think its 0,0,0, as its one corner of the map) :-/ plz plz plz help me i really want to get this trap sorted out

This has happened with me as well. And it does go to the origin of the map. I have looked over every possible option in all the 3 required entities and I cant seem to figure it out. The constraints work, but the rope goes to the origin.

I think it may have something to do with messing with options of the entities too much.

hmm.. tried the video and everything worked fine.. do all your entities have different names? everythin assigned correctly? did you accidently create some unintential entities when trying to select one entity while still using the entity tool instead of the pointer (this happend to me.. my thoughts: "why the hell can't i select this damn entity?!?".. this was shortly before i started deleting 500 entities again.. lol)

hmm.. can't think of anything else at the moment.
good luck :)

.georgeblunt

beam entity is named bar1
move_rope entities are bar1_rope1 and bar1_rope2
keyframe_rope entities are bar1_rope1_keyframe and bar1_rope1_keyframe

i followed the vid tutorial exactly and assigened everything as it should be. i checked the entity report and there are no erroneous entities :-/

thanks for your suggestions but i still dont know whats wrong :(

blinking halo said:
beam entity is named bar1
move_rope entities are bar1_rope1 and bar1_rope2
keyframe_rope entities are bar1_rope1_keyframe and bar1_rope1_keyframe

i followed the vid tutorial exactly and assigened everything as it should be. i checked the entity report and there are no erroneous entities :-/

thanks for your suggestions but i still dont know whats wrong :(

shouldnt your second keyframe be bar1_rope2_keyframe

There seems to be a bug with ropes in CS:S.

Move_rope or keyframe_rope entities that are parented to another moving entity (such as a func_physbox) always end up leading to the map origin (0,0,0). The same is not true in HL2SP or DM. In fact you can load the same map in SP and see it work, then load it in CS:S and see that it doesn't.

There may be a way around it by using logic_measure_movement to keep the rope tied to the other entity, but I haven't tried it yet.

This seems to be an unfortunate problem of CS:S being released before HL2. Old CS was built on HL1, so anything that worked in HL1 would work in CS, but CS:S has a bunch of features missing that the full game implements.

Move_rope or keyframe_rope entities that are parented to another moving entity (such as a func_physbox) always end up leading to the map origin (0,0,0). The same is not true in HL2SP or DM. In fact you can load the same map in SP and see it work, then load it in CS:S and see that it doesn't.
Yarr. no pulley system for me. Maybe they will fix it someday.

DJRedLine said:
shouldnt your second keyframe be bar1_rope2_keyframe
sry yes it is bar1_rope2_keyframe, but it still doesnt work. i hope they fix this bug soon :(

Rof said:
There seems to be a bug with ropes in CS:S.

There may be a way around it by using logic_measure_movement to keep the rope tied to the other entity, but I haven't tried it yet.

This seems to be an unfortunate problem of CS:S being released before HL2. Old CS was built on HL1, so anything that worked in HL1 would work in CS, but CS:S has a bunch of features missing that the full game implements.

NO THATS WRONG!!!! I got it to work once, but now it wont work anyomre...also if youve played the BustBuy map for CSS there are signs using it...and they work fine...im having the same probem

Firkat54 said:
NO THATS WRONG!!!! I got it to work once, but now it wont work anyomre...also if youve played the BustBuy map for CSS there are signs using it...and they work fine...im having the same probem

If you look at the date of his post, you'll find that he said that in DECEMBER.

We now know that the problem is a result of the way CS:S resets only certain entities upon newround, and that a mapper can work around it by way of a logic_measure_movement entity.

ive tried using the logic_measure_movement entity but it doesnt stop ropes from going straight to the centre of the map, :( im hoping when they update sdk for dod source (i cant configure my settings properly) they fix this problem.

any help would be good

Back