Problem with steamless episode 1

M

matthew850

OK I have made HL2 steamless and now I want to make ep1 steamless as well. I decided to make ep1 a mod for hl2 rather than a standalone program on its own. I extracted the "episode 1 shared" GCF and put them into a folder in the hl2 directory and made a shortcut. When I opened it it showed the loading screen with the blurry citadel and when it loaded it didn't show the actual map file, it just showed the blurry image. When I clicked new game it just went back to the main screen and would do nothing else.

I then tried edtracting the "half-life 2 episode 1" GCF and put it into the folder. I tried reloading it and the same thing happened. I then looked in some of the mod folders and noticed a lot of the folder names in the mod directories were in the "hl2" and "episodic" folders in the ep1 directory. I moved these out of the folders and into the ep1 folder. Now when I load it up it comes up with the loading screen and I can hear the hard drive in use for a few mins then it stops. I left it for 15 mins or so and nothing. I hit the windows key/ctrl+alt+del/alt+tab keys and also nothing. I had to restart it manually. I tried it again and the same thing happens. Why is this happening? Is there anything else I can do with ep1 or do I have to stay with horrible steam:devil:?

Matthew 8:5
When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help.
No help for you, steamless episode is a deadly sin.

Ah ****, I can't believe you've done this.

Really.

Considering all the time and effort that has to go into severing the game from Steam... wouldn't it just be easier if you played with it?

Also, I'm pretty sure this is not even allowed. One of Steam's purposes is to minimize software piracy, and creating a cracked version of Half-Life or any other Steam game is considered a workaround. I'm not sure if what you want to do is illegal, but it's certainly not condoned by Valve, and therefore you probably won't get help with it here.

Ad if you are a mofo and you get steamless EP1 version you must deal with bugs and broken materials :S

ep1 cant possibly run off of the hl2 files as a mod......hl2 still runs on the first source engine build while while ep1 runs off of the 2nd build. just use steam and don't bother trying to workaround it.

you wont get any help here for trying to use valve games without steam.

HL2 uses the same Source Engine version as Episode 1.
You have not said why you want to make it steamless i see no reason why you would want to.

so youre asking on an "official" hl2 website how to crack the game and its copy protection? dont ever reproduce. go live in a nuclear test zone, so no-one else catches the stupid.

As far as I know there is no good, or legal way to get around it.

In before lock.

Why would you want to do such a thing? What is the big major problem with Steam? I don't know if a slow internet connection effects single player game play, but if it does, that's why they have 'Offline Mode' A program that lets me defrag, back up and delete game files if I need to, is a program I don't have an issue with.

Sounds like a classic PEBKAC scenario to me...

Basically, any complaints people might've had with Steam a few years ago are moot now. Just use Steam. And if you're doing it "Steamless" so you don't have to buy it, then leave now, and then kill yourself with a rake.

MAY THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELL YOU!!!

Why would you want steamless Hl2, its pointless...

MAY THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELL YOU!!!

Why would you want steamless Hl2, its pointless...

(SINNER!!)

Back