problems compiling with LOD models

efter

Reaction score
I have some prop_physics models I wish to compile with LOD models, but every time I try I get this error.
ERROR: Unknown replace model w_oster000.
I have tried everything I can think of, and searched the forums, nothing has worked.
If I simply remove the $lod related lines from the .qc the model compiles just fine.
Here is my .qc as it is right now.

$modelname "efter\w_oster000.mdl"
$scale 0.45
$cdmaterials "models"

$body "Body" "E:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\efter0\half-life 2 deathmatch\hl2mp\materials\efter\models\w_oster000_ref.smd"

$sequence "Idle" "E:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\efter0\half-life 2 deathmatch\hl2mp\materials\efter\models\w_oster000_ref.smd" fps 15 ACT_IDLE 1

$collisionmodel "E:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\efter0\half-life 2 deathmatch\hl2mp\materials\efter\models\w_oster000_col.smd" {
$concave
$mass 100.000
}

$surfaceprop "metal"

$keyvalues {
"prop_data" {
"base" "Metal.Medium"
}
}
$lod 0
{
replacemodel "w_oster000" "w_oster000"
}

$lod 20
{
replacemodel "w_oster000" "lod1_w_oster000"
}

I have also tried placing the $lod lines earlier in the .qc, ahead of the $body line, but I get the same results, an error.
In this case "w_oster000" is my high poly model smd, and "lod1_w_oster000" is my low poly smd. Both smd's will compile into their own individual models just fine with their own .qc's so I surmise there is no problem with my smd's.
Can anyone help me?

I think that is giving you an error on lod 0 because you are changing the smd for the same smd. Try to take only the lod 0 and keep the second line of lods, and try to ocmpile it again.

The format is this

}
$lod 7
{
replacemodel "male_01_reference" "lod1_male_01_reference"
}
$lod 14
{
replacemodel "male_01_reference" "lod2_male_01_reference"
}

Nope, adding $lod 0 is something I did in the process of trying different things.
Just to humor the situation I've removed $lod 0 (again) and tried to compile, but I got the exact same error.
Where ever I have been able to find info on this, it's always pointing to this format. From what I can tell, my format is ok.
Any other suggestions?

OK I figured out what was wrong here.
First, my LOD smd was not using the same texture as the REF smd. (an expression made famous by Homer J. Simpson comes to mind...)
Second, I was trying to $lod the mdl name "w_oster000" instead of the REF file which is named "w_oster000_ref"
$lod 20
{
replacemodel "w_oster000_ref" "w_oster000_lod1"
}

it's working perfectly now.

Back