Probs running Steam with WINE

PrivatePanic

Reaction score
Howdy!

I managed to run Steam with WINE (Version 20031016, WINE, not WineX) under Gentoo Linux (Gentoo-2.4.20_r6)! It even Updated itself, yay!

BUT: I can't join any game because it crashes everytime either a banner-ad or a text-field containing update-infos is displayed.

For example: Steam Monitor (Banner ad), Properties of Game -> update news-Tab (Textfield), Preparing to launch [game name] (Banner ad & Textfield).

Has anyone else got Steam to work with WINE and may help me?

Greets,
PrivatePanic

The banner ads and update info use IE to display, so maybe you need to have Internet Explorer installed too, which could be a little tricky.

Thx for the replies

Actually I DO have the IE6, DCOM98 and the Tahoma Font installed as described in the Tut's all around (otherwise, you can't start Steam at all)

But this has apparently nothing to do with my problem :(

I too think that the ads and info are displayed as HTML areas, but this alone can't be the reason why it just freezes.

Has anyone another idea? :(

Simple... DONT! You should ALWAYS have a windows partition for 3rd party software, etc.

Well I HAVE a dual boot system, and if I want to play, I usually boot with win... but I have the ambition to get Steam to work in Linux ;-)

Back