Processor or Video Card?

Kristafon

Reaction score
Which is the most important, the video card or the processor, for gaming?

i'd say both are important. but that would not help much wouldn't it :D

Generally speaking; games seem to be bottlenecked by the video card more than the processor at the moment.

Both are pretty important, but if I had to choose which is more important in games, I'd say that video cards give more performance. My brother has a 9800 pro with a stock AMD XP 2500+ (1.83 ghz) which isn't fast at all, and in most game right now he can play them at pretty high settings with very decent framerates.

From what i have heard, to fully use a x800 you need atleast a 3 ghz p4 or like a 2.2 amd64. What is holding the cards back is the processor.

Video card is way more important.

You could put a 5900xt in 1gighz duron and play source. trust me i know.
But my athlon 64 3000, overclocked from 2gig to 2.4
Cant run source with a geforce 2.

Geforce 2, and 1gig duron both about same age.

CPU or system performance help you get to new levels and with some games you may need more power or bandwidth to allow your Video card to do better. It also helps a lot with other things with the game other than display.

The Video card is the main hardware when dealing with FPS. It is what actually renders the scene. A good card can get you through those new games but without a decent system and enough RAM you may still fall behind.

I'd have to say video card. However, like asus said, without decent cpu and ram, it won't matter how good of a video card you have.

The questions in my mind is:

A..ARe YOU thinking of upgrading yourself? or is this a speculative question?

If u are upgrading...

what is yer present cpu/ viseo card.
how much loot u got to spend?

Back