Profanity filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDude

Reaction score
I have a suggestion for the site. I think there should be some sort of profanity filter where you can choose whether swear words show up or not. I would rather this site be uncensored. Take it into consideration and discuss.

Profanity filters are lame. I move for their banishment!

Bypassing the filter IS against the rules, guys.

Bypassing the filter IS against the rules, guys.

There should be an option as to whether or not there is a filter. It wouldn't be hard to implement. If this site doesn't change, it will stagnate and become less popular.

I hardly think this site is going to lose members because three words get censored :p

[edit] Hell, I remember when "shit" was censored, and people got temp banned for using the word "dildo".

There should be an option as to whether or not there is a filter. It wouldn't be hard to implement. If this site doesn't change, it will stagnate and become less popular.

To be honest, if you are going to leave because we censor a couple of potentially offensive words, we might not consider it that great a loss.

I think you have a good idea, but suggesting that it has bearing on the site's popularity is frankly ludicrous.

Personally, i feel that the site profanity filter is fine the way it is :p

If people keep bypassing the profanity filter, I'll "filter" their accounts.

Through a fine mesh bucket.

I done told you boys to relax before, didn't I? Now I'm not saying we should go 'round cussing willy-nilly as-you-please, like uncultured and crass folk who spew vulgarities like everyday adjectives, nouns, and verbs.

And you know I'm not saying that we should drop the profanity filter, because there're kids about. It shouldn't even be an option, I'll tell you why, because you'll see an uncensored message while all some kid sees is:

****ing **** in the ****ing **** had to tell that ****** to **** off before I got ****ing nasty with it and all ****ing hell broke ****ing loose.

And that's what I told Dr. Magnusson, because I'm Gordon Freeman and he's a ****hole.

You think it won't be that way? Give it a day, tops. Profanity filter's cool. These kids already see shit, bitch, damn, all these words that're like pepper on the tongue, and when the newb forum was around it was just buttsecks buttsecks buttseckz. We don't need MORE swearing. We don't need UNCENSORED swearing. That opens a floodgate.

That being said...

*blows the smoke out of his pipe*

Didn't I tell all you cats in a thread long ago to be cool about profanity? It's a mod's duty to enforce the rules, baby, but I told you before...

Don't be afraid of the word "fuck."

And you know I'm right. I'll take my infraction now, Dan-O. Point's been made. Leave the filter in place and uh, don't bypass it like I just did.

**** you bloddy hell shit screw

"wow, never knew about a profanity filter" cool..

I'll come across this table and slap you, boy. What'd I just say?

Can't the filter be altered so that swear words become wordlifted, like SA does or NMA with leetspeek?

Kind of like:

**** - act of aggressive sexual intercourse between two humans

****** - human of African American descent with dark pigmentation of skin

etc.

Which would make Darkside's post:

act of aggressive sexual intercourse between two humansing act of aggressive sexual intercourse between two humans in the act of aggressive sexual intercourse between two humansing act of aggressive sexual intercourse between two humans had to tell that human of African American descent with dark pigmentation of skin to act of aggressive sexual intercourse between two humans off before I got act of aggressive sexual intercourse between two humansing nasty with it and all act of aggressive sexual intercourse between two humansing hell broke act of aggressive sexual intercourse between two humansing loose.

And that's what I told Dr. Magnusson, because I'm Gordon Freeman and he's a act of aggressive sexual intercourse between two humanshole.

Such mockery would have a better effect than just a filter.

They still know what you're talking about, and if they don't, it scrambles their brains. Don't nobody wanna read a wall o' text with jibber-jabber like that.

*saves thread to vault of crazy*

In ten years, worlds like fu*k will be outdated. Just a call.

But cool will still be around. Cool's always cool, baby, 'cept fo' when it's ice cold.

You know how you tell if a sci-fi show is being realistic? People will still say cool in the future, that's how. Ten, fifty, five hundred years from now, because cool stays frosty. You can't outdate, you can't obsolete cool.

The filter is fine the way it is, but if modifications are made, it would be better. I vote both

Why isn't "shit" censored? I would think that's along the same caliber as fuc*.

If shit is the same caliber as ****, then my PC is the same caliber as Cray.

Shit, simply put, isn't as strong of a word as f*ck. I guess we can consider ourselves socially progressive for not censoring words like "shit" or, in the case of the Team Xbox forums, "ass".

I some times think people think up these crazy and pointless ideas just so they can have the accolade of saying 'I thought of that!' :LOL:

To be honest, if you are going to leave because we censor a couple of potentially offensive words, we might not consider it that great a loss.

I think you have a good idea, but suggesting that it has bearing on the site's popularity is frankly ludicrous.

That pretty much summed it up. And at the end of the day you dont actually need to swear. It's a ****ing insane and crazy bastard idea. But you dont actually need to!

Can't the filter be altered so that swear words become wordlifted, like SA does or NMA with leetspeek?

Kind of like:

**** - act of aggressive sexual intercourse between two humans

****** - human of African American descent with dark pigmentation of skin

etc.

Which would make Darkside's post:

Such mockery would have a better effect than just a filter.
Seconded.

Im not allowed to play if it is uncesored.Hell,im only 10 yrs old,although damn and hell is fine:(
I done told you boys to relax before, didn't I? Now I'm not saying we should go 'round cussing willy-nilly as-you-please, like uncultured and crass folk who spew vulgarities like everyday adjectives, nouns, and verbs.

And you know I'm not saying that we should drop the profanity filter, because there're kids about. It shouldn't even be an option, I'll tell you why, because you'll see an uncensored message while all some kid sees is:

You think it won't be that way? Give it a day, tops. Profanity filter's cool. These kids already see shit, bitch, damn, all these words that're like pepper on the tongue, and when the newb forum was around it was just buttsecks buttsecks buttseckz. We don't need MORE swearing. We don't need UNCENSORED swearing. That opens a floodgate.

That being said...

*blows the smoke out of his pipe*

Didn't I tell all you cats in a thread long ago to be cool about profanity? It's a mod's duty to enforce the rules, baby, but I told you before...

Don't be afraid of the word "fuck."

And you know I'm right. I'll take my infraction now, Dan-O. Point's been made. Leave the filter in place and uh, don't bypass it like I just did.

You're ****ing 10?

Isn't the minimum age to register here like 13?

Gordon Freeman? Your nick should be TATER MASHER.

Yes.

TATER MASHER

We should make a wordlifter that will replace all mentions of Freeman with Tater MASHER.

Technically it is illegal to register here without parental permission if you are younger than 13.

Anyway, thread over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back