Prop_Static Model prob

MiMMiC

Reaction score
Heya guys...I'm having a problem with some static props. I'll try to post some pics later today if no one can understand what I'm talking about.

I've made a really simple pillar(barracade style - like what you see in front of buildings to stop cars from driving into them) and I can't seem to get the bump map to show properly. The texture also seems to be very bright compared to what it looks like in 3d max.

The bump map doesn't appear to be on the model at all and I honestly don't know how to check in hammer if a material is tied correctly to the bump map.

VMT is:
"VertexLitGeneric"
{
"$baseTexture" "/concrete_pillar"
"$bumpmap" "/concrete_pillar_B"
}

Am I doing this wrong?

Also, what is a specular map called in source? env_map?

EDIT: Also, I did run a vis on the map (took forever cause I just hollowed out a HUGE box around my level) and it didn't seem to make any difference

Here's an image, seems like it's doing some really weird stuff.

BTW. I just noticed it looks like this inside the model viewer as well, where it didn't before. If I uncheck normal map in model viewer it goes to the base texture without any bump, not sure if that's any significance.

Attachments

• css_cs_subway0000.jpg
    css_cs_subway0000.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 291
Here's a pic of how it looks in 3d Max fyi

Attachments

• 3dmaxpillar.jpg
    3dmaxpillar.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 252
i think it would be best to post the .qc file and what you have in the .vmt file.
I never really used any normal mapping in hl2, but here is what i had in my .vmt file to get it to work:

"vertexlitgeneric"
{
"$baseTexture" "vehicles\komatsu/komatsu"
"$model" "1"
"$envmap" "env_cubemap"
"$bumpmap" "/vehicles/komatsu/komatsu_normal"
"$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" 1
"$surfaceprop" "metal"
}

maybe this helps

Well, I am using cannonfodder's studiocompiler, wonder if that has anything to do with it. I'm about to try creating my own .qc and see how it comes out. And I did try some of the other stuff from your .vmt's and well, it did nothing for the bump map. It seems like its treating the bump map like it was really low res, the dark areas are blotchy.

You can really notice it in the "hazard" area (the yellow spots up top)

I made my own .qc and still seems to be doing the same thing. (haven't tested it in game, but model viewer looks the same)...this is my first custom .qc as well, so it might be wrong

$modelname warning_pillar/warning_pillar.mdl

$cdmaterials materialsrc\Warning_Pillar (I changed this line to "materials/models/Warning_Pillar", used / and \ and now I can't get a texture to show on the model.
$staticprop
$surfaceprop "concrete"
$scale 1.0

$body studio "./warning_pillar"

$sequence idle "warning_pillar" loop fps 15

$collisionmodel "warning_pillar.smd" {
$Mass 100
$concave
}

Attachments

• pillar.jpg
    pillar.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 232
That .qc file looks like a mess, here is how mine look like:
(it's also a pole like yours)
Without a bumpmap though.

Code:
$modelname props/safety_pole
$cdmaterials models/props
$surfaceprop "metal"
$staticprop
$scale "1"
$body studio "models/props/safety_pole.smd"
$sequence idle "models/props/safety_pole_idle.smd" fps 1
$collisionmodel "models/props/safety_pole_phys.smd"
{
$Mass 50
$concave
}

And the .vmt stuff I posted is for a normal map, not a bumpmap. Download the nvidia photoshop normal map generator plugin and why not make a normal map instead of a bumpmap? Also, make sure the normal map is in the channels layer in photoshop and saved as .tga 32bit.

Normal maps are superior to bumpmaps and source supports them, so you may as well.

does source support bump+normal like in 3d max? I've tried messing with the normal map filter and I can not achieve the same look I'm going for using a normal map...however, I began playing around with the normal+bump combo and it looks pretty nice. If I can import it and use both, that'd be awsome

OMG...I'm a moron. Not sure exactly what happened or where the instructions got left out for this. I took off my normal....and in the vmt turned the bump into a $detal....and it works!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back