protesters at republican national convention

I'm getting confused here, do most Americans agree with Bush's policy, or not?
Some American guy explain me how a civilized country like America can be so distorted and mixed up?

blahblahblah said:
I think the RNC protestors should be shot.

Are you serious Blah? I expected better from you. You know as well as I do that those people are perfectly within their rights to protest. Just like conservatives have the right to protest at the DNC or wherever they want.

DarkStar said:
Are you serious Blah? I expected better from you. You know as well as I do that those people are perfectly within their rights to protest. Just like conservatives have the right to protest at the DNC or wherever they want.

Sarcasm, my friend. Sarcasm

I think protesting is really good as long as you are not violent. Once you become violent and/or belligerent, you should be arrested and prevented from protesting again. Violence only should be used in extreme circumstances. As much as you hate Bush, violence doesn't need to be used.

I'm a bit worried about the RNC. The RNC you know is being held in NYC which is a democratic stronghold. The RNC is making a strong statement, but I don't think all democrats will peacefully protest this act.

RakuraiTenjin said:
W is for and always has been "Washington Ketchup", not "W. Bush"
Are you defending as stupid a concept as W. Ketchup? I know what W in it, now dare you tell me what relevance this has?

I thik its very interesting as the protest goes from No bush, to Fox news suck. then the big gw head with the words on the scroll lies, hate, fear rolling out was pretty cool.. then the coffins with the american flags onit. alot of opposition for one man -.-

CyberSh33p said:
Are you defending as stupid a concept as W. Ketchup? I know what W in it, now dare you tell me what relevance this has?
Er, I just thought you were saying it and thinking it was something by Bush and W was from his name. (Seen it on so many forums. Having to constantly say what it was aggravating)

RakuraiTenjin said:
Er, I just thought you were saying it and thinking it was something by Bush and W was from his name. (Seen it on so many forums. Having to constantly say what it was aggravating)

But still, in the ad it says something like "you don't support democrats, neither should your ketchup"

And if you want a great product, go by the bush action figure!
(probably made in china, witht the real american hero gi joe)

Protests are cool
(just wanted to stay on topic)

:angel:

blahblahblah said:
Sarcasm, my friend. Sarcasm

I think protesting is good as long as you are not violent. Once you become violent and/or belligerent, you should be arrested and prevented from protesting again.

I'm a bit worried about the RNC. The RNC you know is being held in NYC which is a democratic stronghold. The RNC is making a strong statement, but I don't think all democrats will peacefully protest this act.

Whew.....I thought you'd gone off the deep end for a second. I agree that violent protesters should be immediately stopped. I was listening to Sean Hannity the other day and he had on some protest leader. She absolutely refused to say that she would try to keep the protests nonviolent! It made me really mad becauce non-violent resistance is the only way that anyone will take our mesage seriously.

Anyway.....its good to hear you don't want to start shooting Dems.

Another question, why do Americans like to shoot other Americans?
And dont tell me it's BS, it's a fact

ferd said:
Another question, why do Americans like to shoot other Americans?
And dont tell me it's BS, it's a fact
Wherever you heard it's a fact that "Americans like to shoot other Americans" is one wacked out news source.

I am American, even a gun owner too, and I sure as hell don't like that. In fact.. anyone you find that "likes that" is probably in a mental institution.

BY saying "like" I didn't actually ment "like".
But it happend a lot more often then in any other country, wich is strange.
Because moft Americans I've talked to (irl and online) were quite opposed to gun-ownership and such

ferd said:
Because moft Americans I've talked to (irl and online) were quite opposed to gun-ownership and such

Liberals like the Internet more. That's a proven fact.

ferd said:
There's actually a majority of people that are pro ownership, as I know personally, and for a fact that there are a lot of gun owning or supporting democrats (Not the majority, but a good amount) And almost all Republicans are owners or supporters.

I couldn't imagine walking down my street, waving at my neighbour as he's polishing his hand-gun.
Im 18 years and i've never seen a decent gun up-close. I saw some magnums and some glocks in the hands of police-officers from a distance.
Plus and MP5 or something like that, in the hands of a member of the MP.
Around 9/11 it was...I would be scared to death knowing my neighbour could have an M4 or an AK...

The danger is from criminals, not law abiding citizens.

And making a law that people must turn in their guns.. heh.. you won't see those gangsters, robbers, criminals, etc going to the local station and going "Here's my weapons!"

When guns are outlawed- the only people who have guns will be outlaws.

It seems to be working in Belgium...
We have about 5 armed robbery's a year, and 10 murders with firearms last year. Under a population of 15 million ppl...even though we're a small country, it's not much no matter how you put it

I couldn't imagine walking down my street, waving at my neighbour as he's polishing his hand-gun.

That doesnt happen in America.

Im 18 years and i've never seen a decent gun up-close. I saw some magnums and some glocks in the hands of police-officers from a distance.
I've only seen pistols on cops as well.

There's the contradiction again, 50% of the US population should be gun owners, still, you haven't seen any citizen with a gun before...

People don't walk around flaunting their guns. Usually they'll be a shotgun behind a persons front door, maybe a rifle hanging on the back of their pickup if you live out in the country. I haven't seen anyone in the city with a gun rack though. Most city people keep a pistol hidden somewhere in their house but not on themselves.

We don't just take a stroll down the street with a rifle slung over our shoulder and a belt with bullets. There is such a thing as a concealed weapons permit but again, they're concealed. Not displayed openly. I think you guys have been watching too much hollywood. ;)

Really, unless you live out in the country your probably not going to see a gun in public. I know the news likes to pretend we are still the wild west but in reality it just isn't like that. The firearms are there for hunting or safety, not to intimidate or shoot anyone that makes you mad.

There's the contradiction again, 50% of the US population should be gun owners, still, you haven't seen any citizen with a gun before...

Why should 50% of the population be gun owners. Most Republicans support the right to own a gun, but it doesnt mean they have to own one.

Really, unless you live out in the country your probably not going to see a gun in public. I know the news likes to pretend we are still the wild west but in reality it just isn't like that. The firearms are there for hunting or safety, not to intimidate or shoot anyone that makes you mad.
Well said.

seinfeldrules said:
Why should 50% of the population be gun owners. Most Republicans support the right to own a gun, but it doesnt mean they have to own one.
You do not have the right to own a gun, nowhere in the law says that.

And I support any peaceful demonstration and protest denouncing the injustices of the current administration.
There were two reasons why Democrats faced less protests:
1) Boston is not a hardcore city than say, NYC.
2) There was just less injustice to protest about. ;)

Cooper said:
People don't walk around flaunting their guns. Usually they'll be a shotgun behind a persons front door, maybe a rifle hanging on the back of their pickup if you live out in the country. I haven't seen anyone in the city with a gun rack though. Most city people keep a pistol hidden somewhere in their house but not on themselves.

We don't just take a stroll down the street with a rifle slung over our shoulder and a belt with bullets. There is such a thing as a concealed weapons permit but again, they're concealed. Not displayed openly. I think you guys have been watching too much hollywood. ;)

but still, incidents such as this are commonplace

and this

Javert said:
You do not have the right to own a gun, nowhere in the law says that.

And I support any peaceful demonstration and protest denouncing the injustices of the current administration.
There were two reasons why Democrats faced less protests:
1) Boston is not a hardcore city than say, NYC.
2) There was just less injustice to protest about. ;)

Amendment II - Right to bear arms. Ratified 12/15/1791.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html

about the above gun stories some people are just stupid and they have driver licenses and kill alot of people.I've owned guns and have had a concealed weapons permit for almost 10 years.1st thing you respect guns always as if they are loaded,you know what you're shooting before you pull the trigger.And if you have kids you sure as hell should have a gun safe.

seinfeldrules said:
He's from Berkley SaL, what do you expect.

Berkley needs a severe de-programming.They have so many activists that don't even know what's going on.

for instance
November 2000 brought Israeli diplomat Benjamin Netanyahu to the Berkeley campus; he was shouted down by Pro-Palestinian Left-wing Jews and I'm sure every other "knowledgeable" activist who claimed that he was nothing more than a war criminal.

SaL said:
Berkley needs a severe de-programming.They have so many activists that don't even know what's going on.

for instance
November 2000 brought Israeli diplomat Benjamin Netanyahu to the Berkeley campus; he was shouted down by Pro-Palestinian Left-wing Jews and I'm sure every other "knowledgeable" activist who claimed that he was nothing more than a war criminal.

so you're saying that if you're against the israeli occupation, you dont know what you're talking about? seems awfully narrowminded of you but then again most of your statements are

SaL said:
Amendment II - Right to bear arms. Ratified 12/15/1791.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html
I agree with everything you said. Where does it say you have the right to own a gun?

Ah a well-regulated militia for the security of a free State, that I see.
But individuals owning guns for sport, pleasure, self-defense? Barring legislation of arms control? Nope, don't see any of that. However, if we were to just completely disregard the first half of that amendment, then I am more than willing to concede.
Btw, you seriously didn't think I was that uninformed. It was bait. ;)
He's from Berkley SaL, what do you expect....
Ignorance. Complete and utter ignorance. Our institution is more than just "hippies and activists", unless you still consider living in the 60's and 70's.
We have many speakers on both sides of the spectrum, and we support the voicing of many opinions in conformist and non-conformist manners. For every group against a view, there is a counter-group for that view (which you've either never read about or never accepted).
However, if you do not appreciate their actions, then may I direct you to the First Amendment of the Constitution. The link you provided to me will do well.
My, see how our conversation just brought us back to the topic at hand? Love how that works. :)

CptStern said:
so you're saying that if you're against the israeli occupation, you dont know what you're talking about? seems awfully narrowminded of you but then again most of your statements are

Israeli occupation?

This is a map of the land was to be the homeland for the Jews

http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Facts+About+Israel/Israel+in+Maps/British+Mandate.htm

This is a map of the land Britain gave the Hashemite Bedouin Abdullah (Saudi kings cousin) with the ole *wink wink* of the UN

http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Facts+About+Israel/Israel+in+Maps/Separation+of+Transjordan-+1922.htm

78% of the land went to the Arabs.The Jews got boned with the only 22% of the Mandate.Now the winking UN wants them to part with another 10% of their land for a paper peace.

Javert said:
I agree with everything you said. Where does it say you have the right to own a gun?

Ah a well-regulated militia for the security of a free State, that I see.
But individuals owning guns for sport, pleasure, self-defense? Barring legislation of arms control? Nope, don't see any of that. However, if we were to just completely disregard the first half of that amendment, then I am more than willing to concede.
Btw, you seriously didn't think I was that uninformed. It was bait. ;)

Ignorance. Complete and utter ignorance. Our institution is more than just "hippies and activists", unless you still consider living in the 60's and 70's.
We have many speakers on both sides of the spectrum, and we support the voicing of many opinions in conformist and non-conformist manners. For every group against a view, there is a counter-group for that view (which you've either never read about or never accepted).
However, if you do not appreciate their actions, then may I direct you to the First Amendment of the Constitution. The link you provided to me will do well.
My, see how our conversation just brought us back to the topic at hand? Love how that works. :)

right where it says keep and bear arms that's short for armaments

1. military weapons: the guns and other weapons on a military aircraft, vehicle, or ship (often used in the plural)
2. process of arming: the provision of weapons and equipment in preparation for war
3. force equipped for war: a military force equipped for war

Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2004

I got that right off the Berkely website although they just name the shouters as "protesters"

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:...erkeley+shouted+down+Benjamin+Netanyahu&hl=en

SaL said:
right where it says keep and bear arms that's short for armaments
1. military weapons: the guns and other weapons on a military aircraft, vehicle, or ship (often used in the plural)
2. process of arming: the provision of weapons and equipment in preparation for war
3. force equipped for war: a military force equipped for war
Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2004
What's your point? You still haven't countered as to how the Constitution gives individuals the right to own guns (or "other weapons on a military aircraft, vehicle, or ship...") for all the things I've mentioned, or how it bars arms control legislation.
Ooh, but you did use a source, I like that.
Try again.

Javert said:
What's your point? You still haven't countered as to how the Constitution gives individuals the right to own guns (or "other weapons on a military aircraft, vehicle, or ship...") for all the things I've mentioned, or how it bars arms control legislation.
Ooh, but you did use a source, I like that.
Try again.

the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

infringed:

1.disobey or disregard something: to fail to obey a law or regulation or observe the terms of an agreement
2. encroach on somebody’s rights or property: to take over land, rights, privileges, or activities that belong to somebody else, especially in a minor or gradual way
infringing on our personal freedom

Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2004.

First of all you don't have a right to bear arms, you have the privallege to bear arms. Do something wrong, and that is stripped from you. Same as the privellage to operate a motor vehicle, or the privellage to vote, etc. etc.
Its not your right, you actually have to go through extensive background checks before you can be considered to purchase and own a firearm, not to mention the hassle you have to go through to geta conceal permit.. (not hassle really, as I agree with it. It should be a pain in the ass to get a firearm)

The right of the people as a whole

of course there are individual situations where gun ownership should be denied.

I go to work,I obey the laws(except the speed limit :cheers:),I served in the military.I don't own guns because I wan't to go on a killing spree.

If you've ever bought a gun you've seen the forms and the background checks.I willingly got laser-fingerprinted for my CWP,I don't mind I got nothing to hide.

Guns don't kill people,people kill people.To kill someone you don't need a gun either look at 9/11

Back