proved: ATI beats nvidia in HL2. Official everything!

hmm I think this site has been posted before. Still good news for me thou !

We've known for a year that the FX line sucks at DX9.

The 6800 series on the other hand shows very good performance in DX9.

i love ati even the low end cards rock. overclocked 9500 or 9600 can really get the job done.

i got a 6800 so its all good for me :cheers:
and nvidia OWNS ati :sniper:

Well... whoop dee doo, ATI won the pissing contest. I'm off to celebrate this unique experience.

RussianEmpire said:
i got a 6800 so its all good for me :cheers:
and nvidia OWNS ati :sniper:

I agree, ATi did get its ass handed to them this round.

I refuse to believe it. As long as can play it i dont care who is better. I can play Doom3 quite well so i have high hopes for HL2.

Most people know the FX series was crap compared to the Radeon series released at the same time. However the 6800 is definately worthy competition to the X800 so Nvidia has definately made up for the FX series.

However I suspect the x800 will always do better in HL2 since ATI cards generally work better with Direct X (which is what HL2 runs with) and Nvidia cards run Open GL better. Overall though the competition between Nvidia and ATI is definately not nearly as one sided as it was last year.

Yeah I'm pretty much boned. I have an FX 5900.. so either DX8.1 or I can force it into DX9 mode but I dont see any water effects.

Looks like its time to upgrade to the Radeon 9800pro. D'oh!

I reckon the 6800 GT has proved itself the better in most cases against the x800 pro. Can't say this test have any effect on me. I'm buying the GT.

Abom said:
I'd love to hear this explanation.

Well, the 6800GT is currently the best bang for the buck currently. Sure it doesnt do as good as the x800's in HL2, but thats ONE game, it totaly creams it in everything else. The 6800 ultra is just one crazy fast card with tons of overclocking ability which just trashes everything ATi has to offer. The X800XT might as well be vapor ware because you cant get that card anywhere! The 6800 128mb is one of the best budget cards released. It BEATS the x800 pro in doom 3, and rivals it in other games. Im no nv fanboy ( see sig, i have a 9800p ) but nvidia really got themselves together this time around. Plus the NV40 line supports PS3 :D And dont give me the PS2 is the same as PS3 crap, because its not and its been discussed many times.

Too many fanboys here. I don't care who makes it, I'll buy the best one I can get for my money at the moment. Unless you can afford an X800XT PE, Nvidia is dominating this generation. Last generation ATi ruled with the 9700 and 98000, but before that Nvidia was king with it's Geforce 3 and 4 Titanium cards. I won't even talk about Intel and AMD.
:|

TheHitman5 said:
Well, the 6800GT is currently the best bang for the buck currently. Sure it doesnt do as good as the x800's in HL2, but thats ONE game, it totaly creams it in everything else. The 6800 ultra is just one crazy fast card with tons of overclocking ability which just trashes everything ATi has to offer. The X800XT might as well be vapor ware because you cant get that card anywhere! The 6800 128mb is one of the best budget cards released. It BEATS the x800 pro in doom 3, and rivals it in other games. Im no nv fanboy ( see sig, i have a 9800p ) but nvidia really got themselves together this time around. Plus the NV40 line supports PS3 :D And dont give me the PS2 is the same as PS3 crap, because its not and its been discussed many times.

Wow, I don't even know where to begin to start picking this post apart.

I won't, because I don't think you will listen

PS - The 6800 is a $300 video card. If you call that a budget card, can you please send me some money?

TheHitman5 said:

PS2 is not the same as PS3, but PS2 supports a max of (around) 80 shader instructions while PS3 supports around 8000. One thing: the current average shader instructions are 8.

on a side note:

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_48_Release_Notes.html

ATI said:
OpenGL driver efficiency is also improved......Doom3 improves considerably more (as much as 12% on some product configurations) as a result of the same software efficiency improvements.

sweet. I have to download that when i get home.

im bad at percents, if i currently have 20 fps in D3, how much would i get?

1.8ghz p4
768mb ram
ATI radeon 9600XT

Oh and how do I run D3 on dx mode?

[sarcazm]Nvidia owns[/sarcazm], they only have like 3 cards that can play dx9 correctly. ATi has how many again? Oh yeah, forgive me.

ATI4EVER! said:
im bad at percents, if i currently have 20 fps in D3, how much would i get?

1.8ghz p4
768mb ram
ATI radeon 9600XT

Oh and how do I run D3 on dx mode?

Doom 3 is a pure openGL game. In fact, every ID game that has had hardware support has only been OpenGL.

Try turning down your resolution in Doom 3. That will increase your fps dramatically. Doom 3 looks good at lower resolutions.

Emm....what's the big deal with "ATI pwnZorD nVidiaz AsS11!!" and vice versa? :|

I mean it's just a video card - just buy the one which is gives you more bang for the buck, weather it is nvidia or ATI. :p

wow ATI wins one Video Card competetion thing (the radeons vs the FX) and ATI is the best eh?

wow.

DiSTuRbEd said:
[sarcazm]Nvidia owns[/sarcazm], they only have like 3 cards that can play dx9 correctly. ATi has how many again? Oh yeah, forgive me.

You only need one card, not 3, not 17. Your ignorance is showing through. Fix it.
All this Nvidia sucks, ATI owns or Nvidia rocks, ATI schuks is pointless babbeling. You buy whatever card is cheapest and best. Simple as that. Anything else would be moronic.

They're equally good but Nvidia is slower but has the 3.0 shader, and Radeon is faster but has the 2.whatever shader.

Uh-Oh a post made by ATI-4tehWIN!

Not gonna be coming across biased there :|

6800GT creams just about everything in it's price range.

FX's are medicore at best.

^Ben said:
Uh-Oh a post made by ATI-4tehWIN!

Not gonna be coming across biased there :|

6800GT creams just about everything in it's price range.

FX's are medicore at best.

I agree 6800GT is the best bang for your buck right now.

DiSTuRbEd said:

Only one video card can fit in your computer, so why does the whole product line count?

For 200 dollars, ATI wins with the 9800pro
for 300 dollars, Nvidia wins with the 6800
for 400 dollars, Nvidia wins with the 6800GT (though the x800pro is barely behind)
for 500 dollars, ATI wins with the x800 XT PE (once it starts to sell at its MSRP)

Ender01 said:
Only one video card can fit in your computer, so why does the whole product line count?

For 200 dollars, ATI wins with the 9800pro
for 300 dollars, Nvidia wins with the 6800
for 400 dollars, Nvidia wins with the 6800GT (though the x800pro is barely behind)
for 500 dollars, ATI wins with the x800 XT PE (once it starts to sell at its MSRP)

The 6800 U is better than than the x800xt though, so mark that off.

Dead-Inside said:
They're equally good but Nvidia is slower but has the 3.0 shader, and Radeon is faster but has the 2.whatever shader.

slower? what? this thread makes me cry ;( So many hardware noobs

TheHitman5 said:

Oh god here it comes... let's not say anything like that again before this thread turns to another battle. :sniper: :sniper: :sniper: :x :x :x

:eek:

I can't stand either company.

ATi for their relentless money-grabbing and lack of semi-decent drivers for cards they decide give people too good a deal. I like how they refuse to aknowledge my card ever exsisted, and shut down the company that made it. gg.

nVidia for 'The Way It's Meant To Be Played' and the FX range, particularly the 5200.

They are both evil companies, trust neither, they like to **** you over and steal your wallet.

:D

ComradeBadger said:
I can't stand either company.

ATi for their relentless money-grabbing and lack of semi-decent drivers for cards they decide give people too good a deal. I like how they refuse to aknowledge my card ever exsisted, and shut down the company that made it. gg.

nVidia for 'The Way It's Meant To Be Played' and the FX range, particularly the 5200.

They are both evil companies, trust neither, they like to **** you over and steal your wallet.

:D
Tis how big business works my friend. The bigger they are the worse they get. Its a general rule of thumb.

Unfortunately of course we have no real alternatives. :(

cool so geforce isnt good :)
But the 6800 is better then radeon though right? :)
I have Radeon 9600 XT :naughty:

The Mullinator said:
Tis how big business works my friend. The bigger they are the worse they get. Its a general rule of thumb.

Unfortunately of course we have no real alternatives. :(
S3! ;(

Oh and Homie, GeForce FX aren't good, GeForce 6 are :)

Ooooo OK cool thank you for info i like Radeon More i just do :)

TheHitman5 said:
Wow, nice how you pulled that completely out of nowhere... how about you take a look at the majority of the benchmarks compiled, then rethink what you just said.

Wow, nice how you pulled that completely out of nowhere... how about you take a look at the majority of the benchmarks compiled, then rethink what you just said.
I agree with you that the x800 xt is faster in most cases but look at the ground the 6800 ultra has gained in the last 2 months. It went from being as much as %15 slower to near equal with the x800 xt. And in maximum pcs latest issue the 6800 ultra even beats the x800 xt in the majority of the benchmarks.

blackeye said:
I agree with you that the x800 xt is faster in most cases but look at the ground the 6800 ultra has gained in the last 2 months. It went from being as much as %15 slower to near equal with the x800 xt. And in maximum pcs latest issue the 6800 ultra even beats the x800 xt in the majority of the benchmarks.
I've continually seen the x800XT outperform the 6800U in most of the benchmarks running from release right up to recently.

Back