Psy gun and squad commands still in hl2!!

Gray Fox

Reaction score
Well I read the pcgameplay review yesterday and was quit suprised that no one made a tread about this, and looking at the other threads I saw that many people still think that there are no squad commands or that the psygun isn't a part of the game, well in the pcgameplay review they clearly say that there are squad commands, you can have about 4 squadmembers, and they even showed a screenie where you pick up a sholdiers body with the psygun.

Well thats it, if this has been mentioned clearly before then I appologize and you are free to flame me,and the mods are free to delet this tread

:dork: :dork: :dork: :dork:

He picked up the body with the maniuplater.

Harryz said:
He picked up the body with the maniuplater.

I didn't think you could do this. Everyone's been saying dead bodies can't be picked up with the manipulator. I'm confused....

[sl@yer] said:
I didn't think you could do this. Everyone's been saying dead bodies can't be picked up with the manipulator. I'm confused....

I thought you couldn't do it either. It will be dead bodies only that you can pick up though or certain bodies.

I wonder if the bodies will be heavy enough to throw at people and cause some damage. :D

I hope the physgun is in the game though. What was that rumour about it being an upgrade to the manupulator? Was that made up or did it have some basis in truth (i.e. from Valve)??

Harryz said:
I thought you couldn't do it either. It will be dead bodies only that you can pick up though or certain bodies.

Well I don't know for sure, i only saw a screenshot of it, but I did clearly saw that it had a blue ray and on the gun where you see on the manipulator orange this had the blue colour.
I do hope you can pick up all dead bodies and not only certain.

I thought that dead bodies were physical interactive objects just like others in the game. Why would they show off such a cool engine capability in the tech demo and then not include it?

Dr0ndeh said:
and this screenshot was in the magazine?

Yup. if I was allowed to scan it I would, but I think that someone on the hl2fallout forums did!!

Grey Fox said:
Well I don't know for sure, i only saw a screenshot of it, but I did clearly saw that it had a blue ray and on the gun where you see on the manipulator orange this had the blue colour.
I do hope you can pick up all dead bodies and not only certain.

Yeah some people are saying its an upgraded maniuplator that you get later on. Possibly draw things closer from further away, powerfully and pick up heavier things.

Just thinking about it. I think I know what it actually is. But I don't want to spoil it for anyone.;)

But why is no one talking about the squad commands, in the review ir said you had to press the v button to give a command and if you pressed it agian they would regroup!!! Oh jah and about thenmstanding in the way, in the article they say it onlu happens in narrow corridors, so it ain"t a big problem as far as I can see.

Grey Fox said:
But why is no one talking about the squad commands, in the review ir said you had to press the v button to give a command and if you pressed it agian they would regroup!!! Oh jah and about thenmstanding in the way, in the article they say it onlu happens in narrow corridors, so it ain"t a big problem as far as I can see.

We have been talking about them, I've seen them mentioned and discussed quite a lot since the reviews started appearing. :)

whats this talk about a psy gun?
I've heard of it, but no one has told me what it is.
I'd use search but "psy" and "gun" are too common to be used. Excellent search tool guys.

Orcone101 said:
I'd use search but "psy" and "gun" are too common to be used. Excellent search tool guys.

The blue-beam manipulator-like weapon/device shown in the E3 2003 tech movie.

Well, Greg Coomer said it (the blue beamer) wasn't in there. So I dunno what's up with this. One guy who claimed to have been to VALVe said they'd whacked it in recently, which didn't make sense to me on account of balancing issues so close to the release, so I dunno.

Are you sure it wasn't a screenie of the old tech demo?

Also, who said the squad commands weren't in? Which thread was it?

Orcone101 said:

If you watch the techdemo in the E3 2003 video, the guy picks up a body with a gun called the "Psygun" also known as the physics gun. Valve stated it wouldn't make it to the final product and was in the techdemo to show off the physics.

There is a video in Gamespot, where some guy picks up a body with the Manipulator.

Even if it's not in the actual campaign game...I'm sure the model and its properties will exist in the game editor, etc. So perhaps a cheat code/mod could include it.

What does the "psy-gun" do? Brainwash people so Gordon can use them as he wishes?

KagePrototype said:
We have been talking about them, I've seen them mentioned and discussed quite a lot since the reviews started appearing. :)

Oops, sorry my mistake! :cheese: :cheese:

He picked up the body with manipulator but the colour of the ray had changed from orange to whitish-blue, and the beam seemed to concrete on the soldiers body like the physgun did in the E3 clip.

Brian Damage said:
Well, Greg Coomer said it (the blue beamer) wasn't in there. So I dunno what's up with this. One guy who claimed to have been to VALVe said they'd whacked it in recently, which didn't make sense to me on account of balancing issues so close to the release, so I dunno.

Are you sure it wasn't a screenie of the old tech demo?

Also, who said the squad commands weren't in? Which thread was it?

I'm sure it was a screenie from the version that pcgameply got to review.

And about the squad thing, well the last time a read the forums a lot of people were saying that the squad commands weren't in, maybe I just mist something, but after reading the review i just wanted to make it clear that there are and how you use them.

Yellonet said:
What does the "psy-gun" do? Brainwash people so Gordon can use them as he wishes?

Reminds me of the full-power jedi mind trick from Jedi Knight 2.....where you could take control of stormtroopers and make them jump off ledges, plunging into oblivion. Anyway....it's PHYSgun.....not PSYgun...

Sparta said:
He picked up the body with manipulator but the colour of the ray had changed from orange to whitish-blue, and the beam seemed to concrete on the soldiers body like the physgun did in the E3 clip.

No no no. the gun looked different, you know on the manipulatorgun where you se orange colord, well this one had there blue and the beam was clearly blue, but like someone said it could be an upgrade to the manipulator.

That's not the physgun, just looks like an upgraded manipulator. There's no blue beam like the physgun, just the claws glowing at the front, but a different colour.

[sl@yer] said:
Reminds me of the full-power jedi mind trick from Jedi Knight 2.....where you could take control of stormtroopers and make them jump off ledges, plunging into oblivion.
Mmhmm... that was fun :devil:

Anyway....it's PHYSgun.....not PSYgun...
Yeah I know... just got tired of people calling it psy :p

KagePrototype said:
That's not the physgun, just looks like an upgraded manipulator. There's no blue beam like the physgun, just the claws glowing at the front, but a different colour.

Well if that is the case then I appologize to everyone, but to me the gun did looke clearly blue with a blue beam, it had to be an upgrade ofor the manipulator or the physgun, but like I said if i made a mistake then I apologize and the mods can close this tread immidietly ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;(

If you don't want people to read it Samon, why post it?

And you might have seen a "beam" in a screenshot, Grey Fox, because the manipulator lets off what looks like a large (usually orange, but I suppose it could be blue if it starts to glow blue at some point) electrical arc when launching things.

Grey Fox said:
http://home.online.no/~lpstjern/HL2/fly.JPG

Well I just found a picture of how the phys gun would look, so yeeah you people are right I was probably wrong, just don't be too hard on me, I was so exited when I saw the blue beam and then picking a body with it.

Wow...this forum has really made people paranoid about getting flamed. It was an easy mistake to make if you hadn't seen the actual physgun.

Brian Damage said:
If you don't want people to read it Samon, why post it?

Exactly! I'm being tempted and I don't want to be!

EDIT: Sorry...my first double post! Oops...

I posted it, because i saw in another thread people begging others to pm them about the spoiler they knew, i dont want to be flooded with pms saying: why is the manipulator like that!!

So if those who want to be spoiled want to read it then go ahead, the caution is there for those who mayeb think "hmm its only a weapon why not?"

When thats simply not the case

Well, couldn't you have simply said nothing? People would have just said to themselves, "Oh, at some point the manipulator must glow blue for some reason."

The only reason people would have PM'd you, would be because you said it was a spoiler. The picture on its own wasn't even a very big one...

Back