Public Transportation Rates in your City

noisebleed

Reaction score
How much does it cost to ride the bus/subway with a monthly pass?

here in Ottawa it's 73$ for a bus pass... seems like a lot to me. ;(

I don't even know how expensive it is. Thankfully my family is well off enough to have me driving myself because the bus in Louisville sucks and we have no subway

No subway here.
And Buses are for poor people.
loller

No subway here.
And Buses are for poor people.
loller

when you live downtown... parking at your apt building is 50$, parking anywhere else is above 15$ for a day... therre's almost no room.

buses are for people who live downtown.

$74 here in London. $64 for students.
And don't bitch about Ottawa transit, you guys have one of the most amazing bus systems I've ever seen.

Bus ride is $2.50 plus a transfer valid for 90 minutes, a monthly pass is about $65-75.

Buses in Brighton are ?1.80 -ish for a single, ?3.20 all day, ?50 monthly. That's (a quickly approximated) $3.60 single, $6.40 all day and $100 Monthly.

The service is ridiculously inclusive in British terms, especially for students who use one or two routes in their entire time living in the damned place. Makes you feel like you're missing out on a great chunk of value when you're not going to arsend ofnowheresville, 20 miles away.

edit: Because after all, you only need to take the bus to Brunswick Square between the 14th and 16th of February. All 3 of you who live in my vague area.

My city is one of the largest in the world without a public transportation system of any sort.

AU$13.70 for a 10x Peak Concession (Uni Student) Multitrip ticket. Works for Buses, Trams and Trains. Doesn't charge you if you use public transport within 2 hours of your first trip.

Buses and trains in Vancouver are $73 a month, but as a university student I pay $22. $2.50 for a single ticket.

There is no public transportation where i live. It is too rural. It may also due to the fact that we are even incorporated into the county. :|

I haven't ridden a bus in a very long time, but I remember recently for two or three months our public transportation system had free transit in town and to any of the surrounding cities, as a promotion. So a monthly pass at that time = free.

Dallas DART buses here run $1.50 for a single ride, or $3.00 for a day pass.

The rates can vary:

Single ride:

Local $1.50
Premium $2.50
Reduced* $.75

Day Passes:

Local $3.00
Premium $5.00
Reduced* $1.50

Monthly Passes:

Local $50
Premium $80
Reduced* $25

7 Day Passes:

Local $15
Premium $25

Probably more than you wanted to know, huh?

I have no idea. I suppose that getting to Edinburgh on the bus is only a pound for me, because all I've ever said when getting on a bus is "pound please".

Fares have gone up here since the new year, last year my student monthly for bus/rail was 75euro, now it is 80euro(students save a whopping 3 euro on the normal adult monthly which is 83euro:hmph:). Fares have risen about 10c too by stage/stops.

The rates can vary:

Single ride:

Local $1.50
Premium $2.50
Reduced* $.75

Day Passes:

Local $3.00
Premium $5.00
Reduced* $1.50

Monthly Passes:

Local $50
Premium $80
Reduced* $25

7 Day Passes:

Local $15
Premium $25

What the hell is a premium bus pass? Do they serve drinks?

I haven't ridden a bus in a very long time, but I remember recently for two or three months our public transportation system had free transit in town and to any of the surrounding cities, as a promotion. So a monthly pass at that time = free.

I've never ridden a bus in my life!
DOWNTOWN/POOR PEOPLE!

It used to cost me ?37.80 per week - about US $75 - for a weekly zones 1-5 London travelcard. Twice as much money as the equivalent petrol costs for a joyful experience of daily technical faults, so many people crammed into the carriage that your nose is pressed up against the window and you can't move your arms, and having to walk a mile to the station in the morning. The bike is quicker, too. To hell with that.

jebus that's expensive ..havent taken public transport in years but it's much less than that ..hell I travel an hour and half each day (both ways) and I dont spend that much on gas

jebus that's expensive ..havent taken public transport in years but it's much less than that ..hell I travel an hour and half each day (both ways) and I dont spend that much on gas

London is well known for having both the most expensive and the most unreliable public transport system of any major city.
It's the way of most things in the UK, and especially London - pay more and get less than anywhere else.

you could always move somewhere cheaper, like the countryside ..or bagdhad

you could always move somewhere cheaper, like the countryside ..or bagdhad

I work from home now, so I am planning to move some time this year. I really want to get a fancy apartment in Canary Wharf with a view over the skyscrapers (the one part of London I would actually choose to live in), but really between 350 and 500 quid a week rent for a postage stamp sized place is slightly insane. Be tempting to try it out for a while, but otherwise I'll probably move down southwest. Which isn't a whole lot cheaper, but it's a damn sight nicer.

The rates can vary:

Single ride:

Local $1.50
Premium $2.50
Reduced* $.75

Day Passes:

Local $3.00
Premium $5.00
Reduced* $1.50

Monthly Passes:

Local $50
Premium $80
Reduced* $25

7 Day Passes:

Local $15
Premium $25

We had a vote recently on extending the Dallas DART system and the light rail system to our city, but it failed to be passed. People were afraid it would bring poor people from Dallas into our city. :rolleyes:

I work from home now, so I am planning to move some time this year. I really want to get a fancy apartment in Canary Wharf with a view over the skyscrapers (the one part of London I would actually choose to live in), but really between 350 and 500 quid a week rent for a postage stamp sized place is slightly insane. Be tempting to try it out for a while, but otherwise I'll probably move down southwest. Which isn't a whole lot cheaper, but it's a damn sight nicer.

I dont know the real estate market in your neck of the woods however I'm not big on renting properties ..just seems like a collasal waste of money when you could be putting that towards a mortgage and building a financial nest egg ..sold my house last year for almost double what I paid for it, my mortgage is now fairly small because of it

/fatherly advice

I dont know the real estate market in your neck of the woods however I'm not big on renting properties ..just seems like a collasal waste of money when you could be putting that towards a mortgage and building a financial nest egg ..sold my house last year for almost double what I paid for it, my mortgage is now fairly small because of it

/fatherly advice

In a way it is, but on the other hand, a mortgage is just another debt prison. If you're renting you can leave any time you like, you don't have to do any DIY, and it just gives you a great deal more freedom.
A mortgage doesn't strike me as a particularly wise investment anyway. By the time you actually get the deed to the house you'll be on your deathbed anyway, and you end up paying an absolute fortune in interest in the process. These days you can actually get interest-only mortgages because property is so expensive, and that really does strike me as dumb.
It would be better to put the money in the stock market if you're looking for an investment. Apparently 20 quid a week for 40 years becomes a million, at the average rate of return. That's a virtually foolproof way to take 20 grand over a period of time and make yourself a millionaire, all you need is patience. And anyone can afford to put 20 quid a week away - what if you put away 100 a week? You'd be very rich in a fairly short period of time.

The real estate market around here is crap if you're buying/renting in any case, the only option for most people is to flatshare. You have to be seriously raking it in to afford a place of your own, and even then it's usually a flea-ridden shithole. On average, Londoners don't move out until they're 29 these days. That's London in general really, a great place if you're rich but shite for everyone else.

In a way it is, but on the other hand, a mortgage is just another debt prison. If you're renting you can leave any time you like, you don't have to do any DIY, and it just gives you a great deal more freedom.

not at all ..rent is almost as much as a mortgage. AND you get that money back ..and more

A mortgage doesn't strike me as a particularly wise investment anyway. By the time you actually get the deed to the house you'll be on your deathbed anyway, and you end up paying an absolute fortune in interest in the process.

who says you cant sell the house till you've paid it off?

These days you can actually get interest-only mortgages because property is so expensive, and that really does strike me as dumb.

6 years max or else you're paying high interest ..best way up the property laddar AND your returns on the invest can be 10 fold

It would be better to put the money in the stock market if you're looking for an investment. Apparently 20 quid a week for 40 years becomes a million, at the average rate of return.

bah in 10 years I can move up to a million dollar home just be buying and selling and moving up the ladder ..plus depending on where you are there's practically no risk

That's a virtually foolproof way to take 20 grand over a period of time and make yourself a millionaire, all you need is patience. And anyone can afford to put 20 quid a week away - what if you put away 100 a week? You'd be very rich in a fairly short period of time.

in six years I doubled my investment and sold the house for half a million ...much better than the 40 year investment ..oh and I also rented part of it out, so someone else paid a portion of my mortgage for a few years

The real estate market around here is crap if you're buying/renting in any case, the only option for most people is to flatshare. You have to be seriously raking it in to afford a place of your own, and even then it's usually a flea-ridden shithole. On average, Londoners don't move out until they're 29 these days. That's London in general really, a great place if you're rich but shite for everyone else.

ya again I dont know what it's like in london but every major city is like that ..in my hometown, unless you make a combined income of $120 K a year you're moving to the suburbs and it's a good 1-2 hour comute to the city during rush hour

not at all ..rent is almost as much as a mortgage. AND you get that money back ..and more

who says you cant sell the house till you've paid it off?

True, but it just seems like a whole load of hassle. I want to be able to disappear for months at a time to travel the world when I feel like it. Maybe in 10 years, y'know...

6 years max or else you're paying high interest ..best way up the property laddar AND your returns on the invest can be 10 fold

Six years? With prices here, a mortgage is a lifelong commitment.

bah in 10 years I can move up to a million dollar home just be buying and selling and moving up the ladder ..plus depending on where you are there's practically no risk

in six years I doubled my investment and sold the house for half a million ...much better than the 40 year investment ..oh and I also rented part of it out, so someone else paid a portion of my mortgage for a few years

ya again I dont know what it's like in london but every major city is like that ..in my hometown, unless you make a combined income of $120 K a year you're moving to the suburbs and it's a good 1-2 hour comute to the city during rush hour

The suburbs of London are nearly as expensive as the city - more expensive, in some cases, as large areas of inner London are grim hellholes.

Here's some price stats for my area: Clicky

Which is about as suburban as it gets - it's only been considered London since 1968, and Hertfordshire is a mile up the road.

And the price stats from one of the very worst areas in the entire country, in east-central London: Clicky

True, but it just seems like a whole load of hassle. I want to be able to disappear for months at a time to travel the world when I feel like it. Maybe in 10 years, y'know...

from the last sale I pocketed $110,000 ..how you going to make that paying rent?

Six years? With prices here, a mortgage is a lifelong commitment.

i dont understand this reasoning ..there is no law that says you cant sell the proerty as soon you want ..in fact a good tactic is to buy a new condo/townhome before it's built ..by the time it's finished you can sell it for more moeny as there'll be more demand by the time they start building ..my brother in law made $28,000 is less than 2 years doing that

The suburbs of London are nearly as expensive as the city - more expensive, in some cases, as large areas of inner London are grim hellholes.

Here's some price stats for my area: Clicky

london is old, there's not much expansion ..but I watch the real estate shows from the UK ..outside of london they're quite reasonable and some are really nice ...although europeans live in shoeboxes in comparison to north americans ..but then again we're relatively new

Which is about as suburban as it gets - it's only been considered London since 1968, and Hertfordshire is a mile up the road.

And the price stats from one of the very worst areas in the entire country, in east-central London: Clicky

but how do chavs afford to live there? ..the shitty areas in my neck of the woods are cheap because no one wants to live there

We have some trolly thing that goes from walmart to some random spots in town. I think the thing is cheap. Other than that, we don't have anything.

from the last sale I pocketed $110,000 ..how you going to make that paying rent?

Aye, but you have to get on that ladder in the first place. It's a torturous process over here.

i dont understand this reasoning ..there is no law that says you cant sell the proerty as soon you want ..in fact a good tactic is to buy a new condo/townhome before it's built ..by the time it's finished you can sell it for more moeny as there'll be more demand by the time they start building ..my brother in law made $28,000 is less than 2 years doing that

Sweet.
It's a great way to make money if you're going to make a business out of it, but most people just get a mortgage on a place with the sole intention of living in it and then spend their entire lives paying it off.
What's the point in that?

london is old, there's not much expansion ..but I watch the real estate shows from the UK ..outside of london they're quite reasonable and some are really nice ...although europeans live in shoeboxes in comparison to north americans ..but then again we're relatively new

The problem is that London's sphere of influence extends for a good 50 miles in every direction beyond the borders of London. In truth it's not at all obvious where the neighbouring county ends and London begins, because surrounding towns and counties have been engulfed by London jurisdiction over the years. The entire area is just a neverending urban sprawl of overlapping towns, and you have to go a long way out before you find anything truly affordable.

but how do chavs afford to live there? ..the shitty areas in my neck of the woods are cheap because no one wants to live there

It's all down to the location. London is expensive because it's London. I honestly don't know how most people afford to live here, it's beyond me - but perhaps the location is more of a factor in price than ever here because the whole of the UK and to an extent, the whole of Europe, revolves around London. Everything that's happening is happening here.
Hackney there borders the Square Mile, so naturally it's ridiculously expensive and in demand despite being a destitute shithole that ranked as the worst place to live in the UK a few years back.
Canary Wharf, the "other" major financial centre of London, and a beautiful, beautiful place with all three of the tallest buildings in the country, spotlessly clean promenades and posh bars, is smack bang in the middle of Tower Hamlets, another of the very most deprived areas of the UK. It's a bizarre city.

Aye, but you have to get on that ladder in the first place. It's a torturous process over here.

Sweet.
It's a great way to make money if you're going to make a business out of it, but most people just get a mortgage on a place with the sole intention of living in it and then spend their entire lives paying it off.
What's the point in that?

paying a 25-40 year morgage is stupid, you end up paying the majority of that in interest ..so a house that cost $250k may cost $400K when you factor in 25 years worth of interest ..the best way is to start small and rent it out so that you can afford a mortgage, first time buyers get a break with lower down payment ..usually 5%. You live with your parents? if so nows the best time as you dont have responsibilities ..if you currently live on your own/rent ..unless you make big money or split the difference (wife, friend etc) you'll never own and will contiually waste money on rent ..you're young, put away money towards a down payment ..that's all you really need

The problem is that London's sphere of influence extends for a good 50 miles in every direction beyond the borders of London. In truth it's not at all obvious where the neighbouring county ends and London begins, because surrounding towns and counties have been engulfed by London jurisdiction over the years. The entire area is just a neverending urban sprawl of overlapping towns, and you have to go a long way out before you find anything truly affordable.

same with toronto ..it's still much more expensive in te city as compared to the outskirts

It's all down to the location. London is expensive because it's London. I honestly don't know how most people afford to live here, it's beyond me - but perhaps the location is more of a factor in price than ever here because the whole of the UK and to an extent, the whole of Europe, revolves around London. Everything that's happening is happening here.
Hackney there borders the Square Mile, so naturally it's ridiculously expensive and in demand despite being a destitute shithole.

location only means the difference in return ..unless you buy in a neighbourhood on the way to decline you shouldnt lose money

Local transport is 1.00USD per ride, 1.50USD with transfer. Monthly passes are something like 30 even.

paying a 25-40 year morgage is stupid, you end up paying the majority of that in interest ..so a house that cost $250k may cost $400K when you factor in 25 years worth of interest ..the best way is to start small and rent it out so that you can afford a mortgage, first time buyers get a break with lower down payment ..usually 5%.

See, 25-40 year mortgages are the standard arrangement around here. Even starting small though, you're still looking at 150k for a crappy studio flat in a cheap area.

You live with your parents? if so nows the best time as you dont have responsibilities ..if you currently live on your own/rent ..unless you make big money or split the difference (wife, friend etc) you'll never own and will contiually waste money on rent ..you're young, put away money towards a down payment ..that's all you really need

I do make big money now, but that will only continue so long as I keep performing to the same levels and work five days a week. It's a boring, tedious, frustrating job and I certainly don't want to be doing this forever, I want to use the money to free myself from having to work.
I'm not, however, quite sure how to do that. ?130k/year is a definite possibility, but high volume, effective cold calling for eight hours a day, every day with only yourself for motivation can be soul-destroying and is difficult to achieve even with that kind of earnings potential. Having even a single bad day means losing hundreds of pounds, which over time will put a massive dent in all those plans...
I really need something else to work towards, because the money itself just isn't enough. How can I use that income to achieve freedom from employment in a reasonable timeframe? So I can do what I want to do and not what my situation demands?

same with toronto ..it's still much more expensive in te city as compared to the outskirts

With London it really depends on the area, as a rule the city is more expensive than the suburbs, but not massively so and then there are some extremely expensive suburbs too. Like Richmond.

location only means the difference in return ..unless you buy in a neighbourhood on the way to decline you shouldnt lose money

How's that relevant to the prices as they stand?

See, 25-40 year mortgages are the standard arrangement around here. Even starting small though, you're still looking at 150k for a crappy studio flat in a cheap area.

ya but a 5 yr mortgage gives you slightly higher interest rate but is flexible should rates drop ...anywasy there's no reason you couldnt sell your house after a year even if you have a 25 yr mortgage ..the sale of the house covers the mortgage

I do make big money now, but that will only continue so long as I keep performing to the same levels and work five days a week. It's a boring, tedious, frustrating job and I certainly don't want to be doing this forever, I want to use the money to free myself from having to work.

it gets easier the older you get, you build experience/skill, doors open up that were previously closed

I'm not, however, quite sure how to do that. ?130k/year is a definite possibility, but high volume, effective cold calling for eight hours a day, every day with only yourself for motivation can be soul-destroying and is difficult to achieve even with that kind of earnings potential.

I just took on a freelance job on top of my 9to5 job (money was too enticing) and usually work till 1-2am (12-14hrs/day), PLUS I have a wife and two kids ...NOW is the time for you to sacrifice your life because you wont have time later ..besides you;ll be able to relax more later by sacrificing yourself now

Having even a single bad day means losing hundreds of pounds, which over time will put a massive dent in all those plans...
I really need something else to work towards, because the money itself just isn't enough. How can I use that income to achieve freedom from employment in a reasonable timeframe? So I can do what I want to do and not what my situation demands?

there's no reason you have to stay on the front lines of sales, you can always move up to a managerial position .a friend of mine just applied to a position that's listed at $85-100K yr and he started in sales

With London it really depends on the area, as a rule the city is more expensive than the suburbs, but not massively so and then there are some extremely expensive suburbs too. Like Richmond.

it's all about location ..finding the "next" location before it becomes a location is an art

How's that relevant to the prices as they stand?

it's not really ..more of an aside that real estate isnt a sure thing ..but you gotta start somewhere

ya but a 5 yr mortgage gives you slightly higher interest rate but is flexible should rates drop ...anywasy there's no reason you couldnt sell your house after a year even if you have a 25 yr mortgage ..the sale of the house covers the mortgage

True.

it gets easier the older you get, you build experience/skill, doors open up that were previously closed

Indeed, but I can't see any other way I could make this much money so easily. It's not particularly difficult work, it just requires a massive amount of self-motivation that never wanes. The money is certainly out of all proportion to the work, but then I guess business software is a very lucrative industry.

I just took on a freelance job on top of my 9to5 job (money was too enticing) and usually work till 1-2am (12-14hrs/day), PLUS I have a wife and two kids ...NOW is the time for you to sacrifice your life because you wont have time later ..besides you;ll be able to relax more later by sacrificing yourself now

Ouch. Short term, I hope?

there's no reason you have to stay on the front lines of sales, you can always move up to a managerial position .a friend of mine just applied to a position that's listed at $85-100K yr and he started in sales

Most front line sales work I actually find very interesting, it's the cold calling aspect of it I detest. It's not that I hate making cold calls, it's that making 600 of them a week soon becomes a real grind.
Likewise, no matter how much I enjoy a job, I hate having to do it even when I don't feel like it, which is the key difference between this and working at a company. It makes me feel trapped.
Based on continuing to earn what I have been so far for a year, I'm earning about US $170,000 - so you see, wherever I go next is going to incur a massive, massive paycut. I could spend a decade working my way up the career ladder and still be earning less, with much more responsibility, much longer hours and a lot less freedom.
It's really become something of a dilemma for me, because I hate the work but I also think I would be a complete and utter fool to pass up the opportunity, and I love the freedom it gives me. I can work from anywhere I want, all I need is a laptop and an internet connection. I can work two days a week and still earn more than enough for my needs, or I can work for six months and take six months off. I could save way more per year than I used to earn in total.
Clearly I've got to do something useful with the money, because I'm not likely to find another opportunity like this one. I just don't know exactly what to do with it, if I could retire in ten years and maybe work one or two days a week or just make money from investing or whatever, that would be ideal situation. Freedom is a lot more important to me than cash.
I've been thinking about speaking to some kind of career/finance coach type person about the whole thing. If there's one thing I've realised it's that all the money in the damn world is useless if you don't put it to good use, as it is if your weekdays are a hateful experience.

it's all about location ..finding the "next" location before it becomes a location is an art

Sounds quite rewarding, too. I know a couple that make all their money off buying, fixing up and selling property, although I don't know them very well. Must be a pretty nice lifestyle. They seem to have all the trappings of wealth and no office to go to.

it's not really ..more of an aside that real estate isnt a sure thing ..but you gotta start somewhere

Ah.

True.

Indeed, but I can't see any other way I could make this much money so easily. It's not particularly difficult work, it just requires a massive amount of self-motivation that never wanes. The money is certainly out of all proportion to the work, but then I guess business software is a very lucrative industry.

Ouch. Short term, I hope?

till march but the money is very good so I'm hoping for more ..may just go back to freelance but I just dont like working all day every day ..9 to 5 is where it's at

Most front line sales work I actually find very interesting, it's the cold calling aspect of it I detest. It's not that I hate making cold calls, it's that making 600 of them a week soon becomes a real grind.
Likewise, no matter how much I enjoy a job, I hate having to do it even when I don't feel like it, which is the key difference between this and working at a company. It makes me feel trapped.
Based on continuing to earn what I have been so far for a year, I'm earning about US $170,000 - so you see, wherever I go next is going to incur a massive, massive paycut. I could spend a decade working my way up the career ladder and still be earning less, with much more responsibility, much longer hours and a lot less freedom.
It's really become something of a dilemma for me, because I hate the work but I also think I would be a complete and utter fool to pass up the opportunity, and I love the freedom it gives me. I can work from anywhere I want, all I need is a laptop and an internet connection. I can work two days a week and still earn more than enough for my needs, or I can work for six months and take six months off. I could save way more per year than I used to earn in total.
Clearly I've got to do something useful with the money, because I'm not likely to find another opportunity like this one. I just don't know exactly what to do with it, if I could retire in ten years and maybe work one or two days a week or just make money from investing or whatever, that would be ideal situation. Freedom is a lot more important to me than cash.
I've been thinking about speaking to some kind of career/finance coach type person about the whole thing. If there's one thing I've realised it's that all the money in the damn world is useless if you don't put it to good use, as it is if your weekdays are a hateful experience.

seems idelic and if you can do it for 10 years it's really not that big a deal in the larger scheme of things

oh and invest in property ..it's a sure thing :)

Sounds quite rewarding, too. I know a couple that make all their money off buying, fixing up and selling property, although I don't know them very well. Must be a pretty nice lifestyle. They seem to have all the trappings of wealth and no office to go to.

you need lots of cash flow and it's stressful + can be long/off hours

till march but the money is very good so I'm hoping for more ..may just go back to freelance but I just dont like working all day every day ..9 to 5 is where it's at

Pretty impressive to be willing to work those kind of hours tbh, no matter what you're getting paid for it.

seems idelic and if you can do it for 10 years it's really not that big a deal in the larger scheme of things

Seeing things through is my greatest weakness. I get really enthusiastic about something, dive headfirst into it and then promptly get sick of it and desperately look for a way out.
It's what I've found really frustrating, you pretty much have to focus on doing one thing and doing it really well. Doing the same thing day in, day out drives me crazy. Even getting paid to ride a motorbike is a distinctly unappealing job when you have to do it for 10 hours a day. I really hate the routine of modern life, it's extremely depressing. That's largely why I wanted to join the military.

oh and invest in property ..it's a sure thing :)

Solely? I was thinking of dumping large sums into the stock market, but anything which provides a greater and quicker return is always welcome of course. Can you just buy a place and then rent it out at a higher rate of return, then use the rent to pay the mortgage and pocket the leftovers, then sell the house and get most of the money you laid out straight back?
Is it as simple as that?

you need lots of cash flow and it's stressful + can be long/off hours

It's just nice to see people with that entrepreneurial spirit, in a world where the general conception of greatness is landing a well-paying job slaving away for someone else, on their schedule.

Pretty impressive to be willing to work those kind of hours tbh, no matter what you're getting paid for it.

ya, money is the main motivator ;) ...and i like the project I'm working on, so that helps

Seeing things through is my greatest weakness. I get really enthusiastic about something, dive headfirst into it and then promptly get sick of it and desperately look for a way out.
It's what I've found really frustrating, you pretty much have to focus on doing one thing and doing it really well. Doing the same thing day in, day out drives me crazy. Even getting paid to ride a motorbike is a distinctly unappealing job when you have to do it for 10 hours a day. I really hate the routine of modern life, it's extremely depressing. That's largely why I wanted to join the military.

not much of a chance of stepping on a ied in an office ..plus wages are extremely crappy ..and pretty much every job becomes the same after awhile... most people change jobs so as to grow stagnant ..besides you're far too young to be complaining about work ..come back in 10 years :)

Solely? I was thinking of dumping large sums into the stock market, but anything which provides a greater and quicker return is always welcome of course. Can you just buy a place and then rent it out at a higher rate of return, then use the rent to pay the mortgage and pocket the leftovers, then sell the house and get most of the money you laid out straight back?
Is it as simple as that?

rent may only cover a portion of the mortgage ..also the main motivation of selling a rental property is to purchase another ..or if land value goes down because of the neighbourhood ..after all it's paying for your mortgage ..at least partially

It's just nice to see people with that entrepreneurial spirit, in a world where the general conception of greatness is landing a well-paying job slaving away for someone else, on their schedule.

I wont lie ..I'd much rather work for a company that pays top dollar than going it alone ..it's tough to manage every aspect of your business, not to mention finding clients, negotiating contracts, meeting with clients etc ..working for someone eliminates most of that and you can be focused on the work itself

Back