Pulse Rifle secondary fire...

Elkhound

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that when you shoot with the pulse rifle sec. fire in to the water, the ball becomes a cube? Just look from the side. Not from underwater position.

i have never had a reason to shoot the sec fire into the water. But i do now.

Funny i would have thought it would have taken the form of a tear drop, because of the density of the water.

Is it due to graphics scaling down - i.e. is it a cube to save gfx resources because you won't be able to see it under the rippling water shader? Or is it a genuine cube?

FictiousWill said:
Is it due to graphics scaling down - i.e. is it a cube to save gfx resources because you won't be able to see it under the rippling water shader? Or is it a genuine cube?
It looks like its just not moddeled. So just what you said.

What is that "grenade" supposed to be anyway? I think it's one of the coolest weapons ever.

It seems to be some kind of a combine energy ball. I think the citadel is using those balls as an energy source or something, because in the final level there are some kind of energyball streams going up the citadel. This has probably been speculated a lot, but I've been away since virtually November 16

The secondary fire fires a core, the same thing as you saw in the final levels. It's just containted in a little shell so it doesn't burn out untill you fire it.

It. Is. Badass.

Drizzt said:
Funny i would have thought it would have taken the form of a tear drop, because of the density of the water.

It's a game though not real life ;)

Fantasy setting doesn't mean the world will become pink , the earth will become a cube and the sun will become green. There is still some kind of need for believability ((Physics properties such as gravity,density etc etc)). Or else the game world will be hard to relate to.

What happens to the victim who gets to taste the grenade? It looks like they're burned, or maybe transfered into some other dimension. The effect is really nice

It's just a bug of sprites not being fully translucent, same when you throw a bugbait in the water.

CookieCuttah said:
Fantasy setting doesn't mean the world will become pink , the earth will become a cube and the sun will become green. There is still some kind of need for believability ((Physics properties such as gravity,density etc etc)). Or else the game world will be hard to relate to.

I just meant that Valve hadn't programmed in the code for fluid mechanics.
I was trying to break the news gently.

But it would be a cool idea if it was on purpose. (the grenade would reflect diferently, when on cube form ;) )

kirovman said:
I just meant that Valve hadn't programmed in the code for fluid mechanics.
I was trying to break the news gently.
That's another question, I guess I inferred incorrectly to your short statement. Appologies, but still I remain by my statement. It maybe just a game but it should be believable, as for looking "Fluid" like.. You don't need to program it, simply set up sprites.. ((Like with the cans in garry's mod.))

Slainchild said:
Especially with the :rolling:BASS:rolling: turned up :D
I hear ya bro, with my 12 inch subwoofer EVERYTHING has POWER!!!

BTW, interesting trick with the pulse rifle secondary fire. Notice how the secondary fire core is shorter lived than a core you can pick up in the citadel.

If you fire the core at a wall, then pull out your gravity gun and catch it when it bounces back, it turns into one of the cores from the citadel, and becomes more powerful and lives longer.

I was playing around with barrels in water yesterday and noticed that if u dip them in the water the bulletholes dissaper until u get them about 1 meter (3 foot-ish?) under. I guess thats the same bug, if you can call it that.

Try dipping rockets into water over and over again, each time they go in and come back out theyr move slower, ive had them move slower than i could walk....

Maybe the reason for the ener-ball thingy turning square underwater is because you're looking at its collision model. :p

Ok I made 2 screenshots. One just before it hits the water and one of it underwater.

Elkhound said:
Ok I made 2 screenshots. One just before it hits the water and one of it underwater.

It could be your settings, from the looks of the pulse rifle you have them pretty low. I dunno, just guessing :burp:

kirovman said:
It's a game though not real life ;)

ya i know. But the phisics engine in this game is amazing. Its as close to to real life in terms of how the physics works. So i'm just saying i would not be surprised if this "ball" acted accordingly underwater.

Back