Quake 4 is the big thing secret in this months PC Gamer

Quake 1 was ok, but it was the mods that made it divine.

(anyone remember the 1 with the black hole and bear traps? or the 1 with the blood drainers and guided rockets?)

hmm I remember them promising that Quake 3 would be the final quake. It had better be something pretty special. Although Quake 1 & 2 were fairly good.

Replace the words 'MARS' with 'STROGGOS' and you have a Quake game in place of a Doom game. They pretty much play the same.

As far as PCG and it's cheap marketing techniques go, let's just say I won't be renewing.

iamaelephant said:
This post is so flawed I don't know where to start. Doom 3 was not a flop. The only people who consider it a flop are, funnily enough, HL2 fans. Doom 3 had absolutely brilliant reviews for the most part (almost no one gave it less than 9/10) and it sold as well, if not better than projected.
Remember Rise of the Robots, The Curse of Monkey Island and arguable Civ3? IMO If D3 hadn't been by ID, and hadn't been called Doom 3, it would not have got those scores. The real test of the game's mettle will be how soon people stop talking about it and how soon it enters the bargain bin.

From the front cover first impression, I don't know how they could get that model to look so poor on the D3 engine.

This thread got onto a topic that should be in General Gaming(Quake 4) but parts were still HL2 General Discussion...

You can find the Orginal thread Here

*Split*

ShadowFox said:
I bet it is senses-shattering to Quake fans.
Exactly. And besides, if you haven't played it, how would you know it isn't senses-shattering? In fact, forget not having played it - we haven't even seen it properly.

Quake 4 has a chance to be really good. IF they put a good story in it, something deeper than Doom3 (which IMO was very good) They've got a chance to have some real fun with that engine, and come up with something thats more than just running around shooting things. If it has that, it might give HL2 a run for its money. if it ends up like Quake Arena then it'll just get boring, fast. Atleast for me.

Icarus said:
FISKER_Q, that added nothing to this discussion.
I have found myself often at odds with iamaelephant, but I would never say "hopefully he will go away".

“I may disagree with what you say sir, but will defend to the death your right to say it.” -Voltaire

(That was in my sig when I first came to these forums, seems I need to bring it back)
"Let's get rid of them darn generalising bastards" - FISKER_Q

This post is so flawed I don't know where to start. Doom 3 was not a flop. The only people who consider it a flop are, funnily enough, HL2 fans.

All Doom 3 "haters" = HL2 fans. It's just as good as saying All Jews = Evil.

But since all Doom 3 "haters" = HL2 Fans, we can see that he is obviously not a HL2 Fan, and doesn't even need to be here. However if you are, you should've seen my point already from the first billion times(exaggeration, you get the point) i warned you against that shit.

He's entitled to his opinion, but atleast do it without condemning people by category. Also i do agree with him that ViolenceJack is wrong, ID Software started the "crap games" (i would use the term tech demos) long before Doom 3.

The best ID title i've seen is Commander Keen.

A preview of Quake IV!!! This is EARTH SHATTERING! And I'm not being sarcastic, I really want to see how this game turns out. This is so exciting, because practically we don't know anything about the game. This is the point where Quake IV has to make an impact on the media, like HL2 when it was first shown at E3 2003. If the first impression isn't good, it's hard to fix later.

iamaelephant said:
This post is so flawed I don't know where to start. Doom 3 was not a flop. The only people who consider it a flop are, funnily enough, HL2 fans. Doom 3 had absolutely brilliant reviews for the most part (almost no one gave it less than 9/10) and it sold as well, if not better than projected.

id gave Raven the liscence to make the game because they are currently working on something very big that we know nothing about. They are a small studio so obviously didn't have the man power to take on two massive projects at once. Raven have made some killer games in the past and I'm sure Quake 4 will be no exception.

As for;

Erm, ever heard of Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, Counter Strike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source, Half Life:Source or TFC:Source? How about HL2? There's no shame in making sequels to great games, especially immensely popular ones like Quake.

But, hell, what sort of a reaction should I honestly have expect from HL2 fans? Seems 90% of you can't accept the fact that there are other great games besides Half Life and it's mods.

you have single handedly pwn3d 95% of all of HL/2's fanbase, i commend and bow to you. *Uproarish Cheer and Applause*

Icarus said:
“I may disagree with what you say sir, but will defend to the death your right to say it.” -Voltaire

... And there was me always thinking that that was a quote from the Lawyer guy in The Wizard of Id...

I heard the November issue of PC gamer comes out on stands on September 21st? Is that true? What the hell...

Back