Questio about floppy drives

Reaction score
if you are building a new rig do u really need a floppy drive...or can u get away with not having one?

I don't have a floppy installed in mine although I have one handy incase I need to reinstall my SATA drive, if you have RAIDed drives or flash your bios (Motherboard or Grahpics card) via floppy.

i have no clue wht you just said :(
o and nice specs Asus i am plaaning to get the specs you have

I would get one just because they are still one of the easiest ways to move small files and if you are planning to raid your hard drives you will need the drivers on a floppy disk.

I have also had many problems in the past where a .dll got deleted somehow that I didnt know about (my computer wouldnt boot) so I downloaded the file off the internet on another computer, found out which folder it is supposed to go in and then install the file from a floppy in dos.

There only like $10 so its not like its a waste of money.

Some motherboards will allow you to install SATA hard drives without a floppy drive though.

I dont have one installed, and dont need one.

bootable CDs for windows, or problems like that.

Sata drives dont need drivers :D

mine anyway.

blackeye said:
I would get one just because they are still one of the easiest ways to move small files and if you are planning to raid your hard drives you will need the drivers on a floppy disk.

I have also had many problems in the past where a .dll got deleted somehow that I didnt know about (my computer wouldnt boot) so I downloaded the file off the internet on another computer, found out which folder it is supposed to go in and then install the file from a floppy in dos.

There only like $10 so its not like its a waste of money.

Some motherboards will allow you to install SATA hard drives without a floppy drive though.

No, the easiest way to transfer files is through a USB flash drive. I personally own 2 myself and I love them. You can pick up a 128 MB model for $20 if you look around. IIRC, you can use these flash drives as a boot drive (and SATA drivers possibly), but I have no experience in doing that so I am not positively sure how that works.

I still have a floppy drive in my computer. It still comes in to use on occasion.

I've got an external set up for one of my 2 sata controllers.

So i just use a spare sata drive to Xfer data.

Although only 2 of my friends have sata right now, so its not quite as flexible as a flash drive.

I've had this computer for two years and I've never needed a floppy drive. If I ever needed one urgently, I'd probably just get a cheap USB external one or maybe even internal.

Flash drives
Basicly you plug them into a USB port and it pops up as your last drive like E: or F:. Just drag and drop files and you can take the drive anywhere and use it with another PC.

cool very portable...but not having a floppy drive wont effect your computer running bad right??

Try and get a "combo drive"

not sure on the name but i got one that has a 'floppy' slot plus a memory stick reader, 'smartcard' reader plus 2 other card readers. it was rather cheap too. and very handy if you have digital cameras and mp3 players etc that take the cards.

all fits into the flopy drive space.

i'll try get a pic if anyone is confused.

I also have a flash drive that I use to secure personall files I dont want anyone to see.

The only problem I have is because Im still in highschool is they dont allow me to use them on the computers there so when Im using mircrosoft word I have to use a floppy.

I've got a raid controller on my motherboard and Windows XP hasn't changed from the NT4 days....

If you boot off the cd and need to install the drivers for the raid (otherwise Windows won't see the drive and you wont be able to install it) you can only load drivers off a floppy disk hence the reason I still have one.

Also handy for work where ours PCs run NT4 and don't have CD burners as such so if you want to take stuff home you have to use floppys!

johnnypoopoopant said:
if you are building a new rig do u really need a floppy drive...or can u get away with not having one?

dont worry you dont really need a flopppy drive :cheers:

burnzie said:
Try and get a "combo drive"

not sure on the name but i got one that has a 'floppy' slot plus a memory stick reader, 'smartcard' reader plus 2 other card readers. it was rather cheap too. and very handy if you have digital cameras and mp3 players etc that take the cards.

all fits into the flopy drive space.

i'll try get a pic if anyone is confused.

Some guy was tyring to sell me that at i21 for 20 quid, i didnt see the point in getting one since i have
1. a floppu drive
2. A memory card reader/writer.

:)

Back