question about antialiasing

cschaef13

Reaction score
what does it do? I have heard people say it just wastes processor power. can someone send me pics with differences of all of the antialiasing settings?

any other comparisons I can get with um say i game like hl2 haha, no offence or anything i get what you are starting at but the graphics in that were just a little too bad to notice alot.

Anti aliasing smooths the edges of polygons and is much easier to see at lower resolutions such as 800x600. I have prodived these images below of hl2 running at 800x600 with differing levels of FSAA. The effect it generates is most noticable on the combine tower and the power lines. Also check out the roof TV ariels.

No AA. Notice how edges look really pixelated or 'jagged'.
d1_trainstation_020000.jpg

2x AA. A minor improvement over no AA as the power lines no longer appear broken up but the image still shows pixelation.
d1_trainstation_020001.jpg

4x AA. Now we see a huge improvement over both no AA and 2x AA. The edges appear much smoother and pixelation is at a minimum.
d1_trainstation_020002.jpg

6x AA. Again a huge improvement over no AA but only a very slight improvement over 4x AA to the extent that its hard to tell the difference between 4x and 6x AA.
d1_trainstation_020003.jpg

ilovemetal said:
so wat ur saying is u reccommend anti aliasiang

if your card has enough bandwidth to use it without your frame rate dying then yes...

Back