Question about video card

Companion Cube
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting a 7800GT (I have a 6600GT currently), but I need to know more.

#1. Is it good?

#2 Will it fit on my motherboard(ASUS P5P800)? (I know, I'm a noob)

btw, it says that I have 5 PCI slots and 1 AGP slot, whcih I have no idea. :(

Thanks in advance.

Well, I believe 7800s are only PCI-E, so in a word, no. It's a great card, but I'm pretty sure you'll need a new proc/mobo. Sorry.

Doesn't hte 6600 run great still? I don't know, I'm not an Nvidia guy..I've only had ATI since I got my 9600XT instead of my FX5200

Yea I think you'll need a PCI-Express motherboard if you want a 7800...
But the 6600GT is still pretty good...I'd get some more use out of it before upgrading if I were you.

Idonotbelonghere said:
Yea I think you'll need a PCI-Express motherboard if you want a 7800...
But the 6600GT is still pretty good...I'd get some more use out of it before upgrading if I were you.

I was going to buy it when the cost goes down, which would likely be half a year or something like that, but I'll follow your advice. Its just that BF2:SF isn't running as good as i would like.

also, I want the eye candy and shit as well. :(

" #2 Will it fit on my motherboard(ASUS P5P800)? (I know, I'm a noob) "
Nope, 7800's are all manufacutred for SLi machines i think.. So unless your mobo is slior at least pci-e, nope

isn't your 6600GT still satisfactory ? :S

Personally, I'm waiting at least till the DX10 cards come out. I mean, I have an X800 XT PE, so it's not like it's a hard decision... but still.

15357 said:
I was going to buy it when the cost goes down

I got this card for £205 at Scan. It runs FEAR twice as fast as my 6600GT, and with max settings. Of course, it won't run on an AGP mobo, but it's a worthy upgrade if you can afford it

Well, then, does anyone know any really good AGP cards? I want to be able to actually run BF2 SF on high. :)

how much RAM do you have? i know it doesnt have anything to do with graphics cards...but i want to know

and the 6600gt AGP is the highest i think

2Gb

Oh, well. I'll probably have to live with half-low, half-medium settings.

If you REALLY want to spend some money, the 6800U is about the best upgrade you can make without the jump into PCI-E territory.

JNightshade said:
Personally, I'm waiting at least till the DX10 cards come out. I mean, I have an X800 XT PE, so it's not like it's a hard decision... but still.
I'm trying (my damnedest) to hold out for another year with my 6800GT. It runs everything I need (granted not at highest highest detail) for now, so I think I can make it. It's hard when you have a circle of friends who all build computers and one by one they pass you up ... excruciating, let me tell you.

15357 said:
2Gb

Oh, well. I'll probably have to live with half-low, half-medium settings.
well, if you did get the 6800GT o think that you could run possibly everything on high...atm i only have 512, and a 6200 with only a few things on low. so you should difinatly be able to accomplish high

Nvidia "might" be releasing a 7800gs for AGP come February 2nd, so you can always try waiting up for that.

I think that that would be a mistake, unless you plan to keep your existing mobo and cpu for another two years. Go 6800 GT imho.

Ok, thanks guys.

well, if you did get the 6800GT o think that you could run possibly everything on high...atm i only have 512, and a 6200 with only a few things on low. so you should difinatly be able to accomplish high

Special Forces lags like something very laggy. Normal BF2 is ok.

(I don't play in 800*600 resoulution cause I have a 24-inch moniter)

15357 said:
Special Forces lags like something very laggy. Normal BF2 is ok.
with me SF isnt laggy at all tbh...it runs just fine, the only problem is when i lose connection (wireless network ftl). the only lag that i get is on Iron Gator (which i dont play anymore)

:O Yeah, me too. Iron gator lags something very laggy.

you could get the card and cut it to fit into an AGP slot. One guy bought it and cut it to fit in a normal PCI slot.

WARNING: DO NOT DO THIS CAUSE YOU'LL BASICALLY RUIN THE CARD FOREVER....FOREVER....FOREVER....FOREVER.

Yeah of course that would ruin it. You're supposed to use a hammer ... duh.

I used a hammer, but now it won't start up :( help.

Why?

Yes it was. I'm not that stupid. :E

Back