Questionable 6800 GT performance.

Xenome

Reaction score
I have the feeling that my performance in cs is not quite right..

In aztec, when alot of people are moving and shooting , and while looking at the first bomspot area, my fps sometimes gets as low as 20-33.

Also in office my fps gets to 50, when I don't even see people around me, just because I'm lookin at a certain area with alot of computers, books, etc in it.

Almost everywhere where there are firefights, my fps drops alot.

I'm playing at 1024X780 @ all highest, 2xaa and 2xaf.

My Video stress test is just fine.. 100 fps @ 1024x780 @ all highest, 2xaa and 2xaf.

System:

P4P800
2.8 ghz 800 fsb
XFX 6800 GT @ 65.73 drivers.
2x512 twinmos pc-3200
Antec 480W truepower.

What are the best drivers for CS:S, and is this performance normal, of are the fps drops a NVIDIA issue?

Those are 2 of the most graphic intense CS:S maps so expect some sort of fps hit.

As for trouble shooting...CS is rather CPU intensive so that maybe your issue if not driver related. Did you upgrade from an old Nvidia card or ATI?

Make sure your motherboard drivers are installed, it's easy to forget to do that if you reformat and that will stop you from using AGP.

Update your drivers.

Other than that I don't know what to say, you should be getting better performance than that, I think.

Xenome said:
I have the feeling that my performance in cs is not quite right..

In aztec, when alot of people are moving and shooting , and while looking at the first bomspot area, my fps sometimes gets as low as 20-33.

Also in office my fps gets to 50, when I don't even see people around me, just because I'm lookin at a certain area with alot of computers, books, etc in it.

Almost everywhere where there are firefights, my fps drops alot.

I'm playing at 1024X780 @ all highest, 2xaa and 2xaf.

My Video stress test is just fine.. 100 fps @ 1024x780 @ all highest, 2xaa and 2xaf.

System:

P4P800
2.8 ghz 800 fsb
XFX 6800 GT @ 65.73 drivers.
2x512 twinmos pc-3200
Antec 480W truepower.

What are the best drivers for CS:S, and is this performance normal, of are the fps drops a NVIDIA issue?

That doesn't seem to be too far off what your FPS should be. It could stand to be a bit higher, but I don't think it is a problem within CS:S, maybe just optimize your PC however possible.

dan_brew said:
"In gabe we trust"... That's just sad.
It may seem sad to you, but to others is a perfectly acceptable thing to say.

And to be on topic, have you tried a different resoultion, like something more normal, 1280x 780 seems kinda odd to me, try 1280x1024 or something. I don't have any other suggestion other than that. But I would also like to add a little thing i noticed while playing CSS, @ 1280x1024 6xaa 16xaf I get better fps than I do when playing @ 1024x768 6xaa 16xaf... Seems like it should be the other way arround to me.

Operator said:
have you tried a different resoultion, like something more normal, 1280x 780 seems kinda odd to me, try 1280x1024 or something.

1280x780 is widescreen aspect ratio it gives ur certan "advantages".
800x600:
de_aztec10.jpg

848x480:
de_aztec8.jpg

not to mention that u save a fair ammount of fillrate for your gfx card.
so ppl ... go 4 widescreen

Drop the Gforce 6800 , get a radeon x800 XT

And also maybe try turning your refresh rate up and turning V-Sync Off

If you find you get graphics tearing , drop the refresh rate or try using V-Sync on

Also have a fiddle with the anti-aliasing as this can make a big difference

I wouldnt agree with you there exodus, just because your an ATI Lover doesnt mean you should automatically drop it for that.

The 6800GT outperforms the X800XT in every benchmark except when you start introducing AA and AF, thats when the results come together.

Stick with the 6800GT and just lower your AA/AF or take it off if needs be, your not going to gain much visual quality from that till you get into the high numbers anyway

dan_brew said:
"In gabe we trust"... That's just sad.

And why is that sad..?

(it's not serious or anything ..)

Some ppl say that my processor is bottlenecking my pc: Can somebody confirm that this is true/false?

ApHeX_ said:
The 6800GT outperforms the X800XT in every benchmark except when you start introducing AA and AF, thats when the results come together.

Hold on one second......wait I'll just laugh at you. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

umm fair enough lol , well drop it for a dual pci express card the gforce sli isnt it :p

DiSTuRbEd said:
Hold on one second......wait I'll just laugh at you. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Obviously you've not read much benchmark reviews of CS Source then...

Those scores do seem low, especially for a 6800 gt.

I score 105 in the stress test - Barton at 2.5 gig, 1 gig pc3200 and a 9800 pro. That's with 2*AF but no AA.

Maybe it's the cpu that's holding you back.

There's nothing wrong with your grx card, though :) (still saving for my GT :/)

wow i get the same same config same card etc , good choice ;)

Yeah, the smart person wouldn't buy an X800XT PE for an obvious reason. X800 Pro Vivo can be turned into XT PE's and $100-150 cheaper.

Good for those benchmarks, really don't care though. If I could I would play 1280x1024 but can't.

Update: The new official drivers that were released today have upped my fps alot.. but still in heavy firefights it goes to 33 fps.

Haven't seen it go to 20 fps anymore thank god..

Seems like driver issues, i get 80 fps with high detail with a 9600xt on maps like aztec. Seems like your stuck with that unless Valve sort it or you buy new graphics card.

dont get the new drivers... if u have a ati stay with 4.8 as they work fine and not buggy

not sure if i can help on the nvidia front .. soz

Back