quick question. 1x64bit, or dual procc?

A2597

Reaction score
OK...question.

I have two options for a new system, and this will seem dumb, but I seriously want to know.

A: I can get an Athlon 64bit ~2.6 system, in the standard ATX Form.

or

B: I can get a Dual Xeon 4+ Ghz system, in Server mount form.

Which is better for gaming?
I'm familier with the ATX Form, and am thusly more comfortable with it, but will having a second processor on the board give me any extra boost?
Are there any problems running a server mount form for a home PC setup?

forget dual I have a laptop with that and its not worth it.. stick to a single CPU you will be much happier

hanz

I heard that only special programs will utilize dual processors, like rendering applications, but games usually don't.

Right now games don't support 64 it configurations either, but they will, and if u get the 64bit athalon you will be ready.

dont buy the 64bit athlon for its 64bit, buy it cause it KICKS ASS! haha

but the extra processor will do you no good in gaming.

the extra processor will be good if you are hosting a few dedicated servers, or if you intend to do alot of compiling or so besides gaming.
and there are games that take advantage of it, like Perimiter and Quake 3 has a console command to use multiple processors

hanzoverfist said:
forget dual I have a laptop with that and its not worth it.. stick to a single CPU you will be much happier

hanz

I've yet to see a dual processor laptop. And I sure as hell haven't seen a dual Xeon laptop.

Yeah the Athlon 64 will be the best option there. It will be a lot faster for gaming. Also, a Pentium 4 will be faster than the Xeons for gaming as well mostly because of the bus speed on the Xeon's.

Unless you were scanning with norton and doing your taxes while playing...or using studio programs the Dual cpus won't help any in gaming.

Back